Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

Hi all

Susannah that would be a great idea. Maybe you could start a before and after thread for us Aussies :clap2:

U may not Feel like posting the befores just yet but i am sure you will be realy proud to post the during pics a couple of weeks down the track.

How is it all going anyway ?

Hey Loretta, Everything is going ok, except for continual pain in my port incision. I have to put a dressing on it each night otherwise it is agony to lay down and accidently rollover on to it, in my sleep. As for the photos, I hate photos of myself. I am pretty. Pretty ugly.:):girl_hug: Why can't I be pretty like others are? Susannah

Hi Sussanah,

OMG!!! Stop being so down on yourself, how can someone so beautiful on the inside be ugly on the outside??? We all hate photos of ourselves when we feel out first but please don't do yourself the injustice of hating yourself so much. You and your advice have got me through a few bad times over the last few weeks.. Be kinder to yurself and you'll start feeling the love from all around!!!

Hi All,

I have checked my ideal weight/BMI and they say b/w 55-72kg as I am 170cm. I am currently 115KG and 39.8 BMI I'm aiming for 70kg but 65kg would be AMAZING I am just going see how I feel in my own skin the number on the scales is more a symbolic thing really. I spoke to the hospital today and can you believe they have not received my liver ultrasound from 3WKS ago!!!!! I have been on the phone all day, they sent it to the wrong place thankfully my surgeon will see it on Friday I hope there are no issues B4 monday.

Feeling a cross between nervous and excited now, picking up mum tom (hope all that goes well).:)

mmmmmmmmmm.. why did you have a liver ultrasound??

Im off to see the physician tomorrow... what can i expect?? what tests may he do. I'll scream if he sends me for sleep studies. Both Dr nottle and my GP dont think he will.

Dr Nottle usually doesnt do a barium swollow post op so im happy about that. Also.... i read somewhere that i may wake up with a 'Naso- gastric tube', true or not true??

Bronnie I didn't have to see a physician, so I can't help you out with that unfortunatley.

I think starting our own Aussie before and/or after thread is a great idea! I am SURE that you are not ugly Susannah! I hated photos of myself 3 months ago, but I'm coming around now that my face and body doesn't look like it belongs to the marshmallow (wo)man!! In fact, heck, I'm going to go start that thread now cos I had new after photos taken just days ago.

Hey girls and guy...

need your help. I need to compile an 'aussie' list of things i need in hospital and when i get home. Please help!!! I really want to be prepared...

I wrote a list of stuff you will need in hospital earlier in this thread when Susannah asked (maybe a few pages back). As for food etc you will need after, your nutrionist will go over all of that when you see them tomorrow. My hot tips for after as far as recovery goes are comfy loose clothes, pain stop medicine (the day time one cos its gentler on your tummy) and a heat pack/pad (get them from the chemist). And walk walk walk as soon as you are comfortable doing so.

The thread here in the pre op section is pretty good i thought. Most of what my consultant suggested was also in some one's posts here.

Hi Bronnie,

I was told the reason for liver ultrasound was to check how fatty liver may be, for gall stones (dont know why no history) and also the position of everything before surgery, I also had some blood tests, not sure what they were for I guess to get my blood type and to make sure nothing else going on . That was it really, I was told the sleep study will be required if you have sleep apnea (not sure of spelling on that one) or a history os sleep disorder. Also will depend on weight and BMI and your doc of course mine didn't require it. Also I've gone back through site for Merediths food ideas can't find (probably not looking hard enough), if & when you find can you let me know what page.

To All,

I spoke to hospital today as they were getting final details from me and they mentioned the stockings for DVT, anyone shed light on this I wasn't told about the stockings.

The stockings help to prevent blood clots post op. They are a great idea and we use them on the majority of people in the surgery ward i work on. Blood clots are unfortunately a risk with any op so best thing to prevent is 1/ stockings and 2/ to walk.

Hi Bronnie

the blood tests were probably a general blood picture, to check that you are not anaemic, renal function, liver function, electrolyte levels- ithelps the Surgeon/anaesthetist assess your overall health ready for the surgery.

As for the stockings, this is a precaution, DVT is a risk for anyone after surgery and increased rsk for us because we are overweight. Your Venous circulation is usually helped by muscle activity and for surgery they give you muscle relaxants that decrease your muscle actvity a good deal- necessary for the surgeon to work and for the anaesthetist to be able to control your breathing in this type of surgery. The stockings apply compression that help make up for the lack of muscle activity during surgery and the decreased activity in the post op phase- they will still want you up and moving as soon as possible for your circulation and your lungs. Sometimes they use knee high antiembolic stockings, sometimes thigh high, and sometimes they if you are not going to be mobile enough they will us pneumatic leggings (inflatable things that are connected to an air pump that varies pressure to improve circulation- not common for this procedure as you will be up and walking usually within a few hours)- All surgeons have personal preferences for how they like things done that they will adapt for each patient- not everyone will have to wear the lovely stockings.

Bet your getting excited.... the 19th isnt far away. Then it appears its going to be my turn. My mum was suppose to be away when im scheduled for my op but has changed her plans which is a good thing as i think im going to .... need my mum!!!:cry 36yo sooky lala i can be

Dionne, I've tried to find the post that I was talking about. It wasn't actually about food though, it was more about what to take to hospital with you so you can have a comfortable stay. This thread has some good food suggestions for all the post op stages. Or just look in the "food" section for similar posts, there are plenty of them :)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/lapband-food-stages-t3995.html

I'll have a harder look for the hospital stuff I posted and repost it.