Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbourne Chat Thread!!!!

r/e Anna Nicole Smith.... anyone young that dies is always sad. I remember reading somewhere ages ago that she was a lapbander many moons ago. i remember her being rather plum at one stage and then turning into a body beautiful similar to what im going to do in the near future!!!

I thought she attributed her weight loss to Trimspa (nasty stuff it used to be before they banned the use of pseudo-speed in it!!).

you may be correct... you here all different things... Like ive heard Kirstie Ally has had lapbanding... guess we cant believe all we here or anything we here.

to change the subject.... 3 more sleeps until i have my first consult with Dr Nottle :clap2:

Hi All,

Glad to see that you are doing better Sussanah, I am glad you are all being so honest as I know I will be rehasshing all your words when I go in. I did Tuckshop today for mmy sons school and they have a very good healthy eating policy but as per anywhere there is still junk available and it scares me to look at some of these young kids and realise that if they don't look at making some healthy choices they will be facing the struggles we all did. This was a big reason I decided to go ahead with the band apart from from all the tried and failed diet attempts - I didn't want my kids thinking it was ok and normal to be so overweight and unhealthy.

Is anyone interested in sharing their reasons behind choosing banding?

Anna Nicole - Tragic . wether you loved her or hated her you have to admire the love for her children and the fact that no matter how many times she was down she re-invented herself and came back bigger & better. I just hope the saga with daughter gets cleared up and she gets some resemblance of a normal life!!!

Take Care

Hi All, Dionnem- Not long now!:biggrin1: It must have been nice working at your son's tuck shop. My sister's twins love it when she works in theirs.

As for my reason for getting banded, I was getting heavier by the year and dieting my way up and not down. When I was diagnosed with MS in 2003 the neurologist also gave me a very serious talking to about my weight. It took me a while but it forced my hand really. I was also sick of being 36 years old and feeling like I am 90!:) I also want to find a special someone and have a baby. If that is not meant to be I am sure I could love a partner's child like my own.

Bronnie- 3 sleeps! Yay! I want a full run down of your appointment on Monday.:biggrin1:

Meredith and Jacqui, Mark etc

A few questions.

1. How much Water should I be drinking daily?

2. During the liquid phase- How many Mls should I be having of each liquid?

They told me to have Breakky, m-tea, lunch, a-tea, dinner etc, but did not say how many mls!

3. They allow custard and quick and ice cream during the liquid phase, but I am stuck in diet mode and feel I shouldn't be having this. Did you guys have these?

Thanks. I really need the advice here.

Susannah

I have chosen the lapbanding road because im tired of being overweight. I want to be able to buy nice clothes, cut my toenails without breaking into a sweat and most importantly... i wont to be happy and like myself. Currently i dont

-----------------------------------------------------------

yet to be banded

1st appointment with Dr nottle: 12/2/07

Appoinment with Dietician and Physician: 14/2/07

Susannah, I was told that i should be having 1.5 - 2 litres of liquid a day post op and I tell you I struggled to have that much in the first couple of weeks!! My surgeon recommended 200ml at a time (every half hour or so) and it felt like I was drinking ALL THE TIME!! You should be trying to drink at least a litre of Water a day building up to 2 litres when you are eating solids all the time (when you start exercising you will find you drink this easily!).

I couldn't have custard and yogurt etc til the second week after surgery on the advice of my surgeon. But sure, I had both of those, plus lite ice cream and low fat flavoured milk, no fat snack packs, thicker yogurts and Soups, cottage cheese and cream cheese and that kind of thing in my second week. I tried to stay away from high fat and high calorie stuff in my post op stage, although I was told by my surgeon and nutritionist that I shouldn't be concerned about that because the 4 weeks post op are about healing and not losing weight. I did lose 6 kilos in the month after surgery though!!

As for why I decided to have surgery....I don't want to die young and I don't want to get all the things that have made my Dad incredibly sick for the last 2 decades. And seeing how successful his banding has been, I decided it was a tool I could use to avoid ending up in the same boat. I've always been over weight and the last few years obese, so it really was only a matter of time before I was facing some kind of obesity related illness. I also want to feel better about myself physically and emotionally, and be a beautiful wife to my wonderful future husband.

Hi All,

Wow!! I can't be;eive I found so many kindrid spirits over the net. Who would ever have thought that the thing that made us all so miserable has made us so many new good friends.

Thats right.............. we have a wonderful little support network here and i believe we will all get through this together. The encouragement is great and seeing others go through this before me makes me more excited for when the day comes that i join you.

2 more sleeps until i see Dr Nottle and 4 sleeps until the Dietician and Physician and then hopefully i have a date booked in. Im going to ask for 22/2 as thats 20 days after Susannah and im 20 days younger.... I somehow think that logic isnt going to get me that date. Undoubtably i'll be looking at March sometime....... mmmmmmmmmmm... easter bunny isnt coming to me this year.

Bronnie you must be BURSTING with excitement!! 2 sleeps!

You never know, Dr Nottle might see that enthusiasm in you and squeeze you in like my surgeon did with me. Just tell him how prepared you are for this and how much background research you have done on your own (And how you have a tonne of friends on this forum who reckon he should get you in sooner rather than later!!). I really hope you get a Feb date, and if not, a really early March one!!

I had a pretty rough night last night. We had an afternoon tea at work at 4pm which I ate at, so I didn't want any dinner, I was so full from that. My fiance got pizza at about 8pm and I had a teesy tiny bite of one slice and had a sip of his coke about 10 minutes later (naughty I know!). OMG, I was in SOOOOO much pain. I was walking round my house doing laps trying to get the "bubbles" (thats what I call it when I am like that, its happened a couple of times before) out. It lasted about 10 or 15 minutes and then it was all over, but by golly it was incredibly painful (there were tears). So I guess I know now that after my fill last wednesday, eating and drinking with in an hour of each other are a big no-no no matter how little I have eaten. I mean I usually obey this rule, but just cos I have been told to, I don't know what made me think that last night would be any different. Now I know why they tell us not to do it!! OUCH!! :)

Gee, the reasons for being banded for me are wide and varied. I have always been fairly active - I love hiking and camping and in the past I have done some wonderful multi day walks in the wilderness all around Australia, I am now unable to do this due to my weight and my sore knees (caused by my weight). I have also done tai chi for the last 7 years and have reached a point where I can no longer progress because of my weight. My father (who always struggled with his weight) suddenly passed away in October and this was my catalyst for doing something.

No-one (except people who are obese) can understand the personal daily anguish that being overweight presents, it's not all about the clothes that don't fit, the shoes that you can no longer tie or the activity that you would love to do but know you can't achieve. It is about your failure to do anything about it, although you continuously try and continuously fail and then beat yourself up again and again. I have a 15 year old daughter and she unfortunately has inherited my genes and has a tendency to put on weight easily. I hope that me being banded is a good example too her, as continuous dieting certainly isn't!

Thankyou all for your wonderful listening because I think that is the first time I have ever told anyone the real reasons for me getting banded.

Katrina

Gday Everyone, Thanks Meredith for the good oil on the whole liquids caper. I can easily drink the required amount of liquids daily, but strangely enough I am satisfied with that. I have not really been hungry.

The custard and ice cream etc are only allowed until the end of the second week, then they have to be banished.

I have only been having one small weight watchers icecream tub a day anyway so its not like I am scarfing down a huge tub of it daily. You get in that mentality though where every little thing you do you worry about. Holy Smokes Batman!:biggrin1:

The Avenue told me I only have to be on post op liquids for 2 weeks and not 3 which I was originally told. Is it true you can have cottage cheese in your mushies stage? I need some ideas for the mushies stage desperately.

There is a food forum on this site, but some of the recipes refer to American ingredients etc, and I am like "You can't get that at Coles or Safeway!" LOL;)

Katrina you are setting a wonderful example for your daughter. Well done.

Meredith I have heard that people use coke as a kind of draino when food gets stuck!:D :biggrin1:

Bronnie, your a legend mate.

Dionnem, How are your kids? Do you practice the fine art of kiddie wrangling?!!!!:D

Fee, I hope your baby had a wonderful first week at school.

Mark, how are you travelling with your weight loss?

Loretta, Any luck finding the Tony Ferguson shakes?

Anybody else I missed, Good on ya!:)

Susannah

well ive been a busy beaver...

Ive compiled 2 folders... 1 for Dr Nottle and 1 for Dr Tran... in it...referals from GP and neurologist and copies of all past operation, tests etc over the past 5 years as well as...

A referal from ME... stating why i need/want to be banded and why im an ideal candidate... I swear they are going to say ' oh no, a nurse'.

They will want to band me asap just to get rid of me :)

Thanks Susannah: Ive never been called a legend ... when im banded im going to change my name to ' Bronnie the banded legend'.... cool

---------------------------------------------------------

1st consult Dr Nottle: 12/2/07

Dietician and Physician appts: 14/2/07

Hi All, Dionnem- Not long now!:biggrin1: It must have been nice working at your son's tuck shop. My sister's twins love it when she works in theirs.

As for my reason for getting banded, I was getting heavier by the year and dieting my way up and not down. When I was diagnosed with MS in 2003 the neurologist also gave me a very serious talking to about my weight. It took me a while but it forced my hand really. I was also sick of being 36 years old and feeling like I am 90!;) I also want to find a special someone and have a baby. If that is not meant to be I am sure I could love a partner's child like my own.

Bronnie- 3 sleeps! Yay! I want a full run down of your appointment on Monday.:biggrin1:

Meredith and Jacqui, Mark etc

A few questions.

1. How much Water should I be drinking daily?

2. During the liquid phase- How many Mls should I be having of each liquid?

They told me to have Breakky, m-tea, lunch, a-tea, dinner etc, but did not say how many mls!

3. They allow custard and quick and ice cream during the liquid phase, but I am stuck in diet mode and feel I shouldn't be having this. Did you guys have these?

Thanks. I really need the advice here.

Susannah

I didnt really measure liquid, I could always fit in about a mug of fairly thick Soup, I just went with what was comfortable at a time, had something whenever I was hungry.

I'm a dreadful water drinker, probably drink 2 or 3 big glasses a day of plain water, but I drink way too much coffee!

Custard, jelly and ice cream I avoided. Just because I "could" eat them, didnt mean I should. And I really found I needed to be blending proper food for the energy - after the first few days on V8, juice and Optifast I was passing out and disoriented - I blended up real food as I could handle it - a roast dinner with chicken stock to make it liquidy, spag bol with a can of tomatoes etc. I coped much better on this.

Hi to all of you

Hope everyone is well and having a great weekend :biggrin1:

Susannah.. i did manage to find a terry white chemist not far from where i work but they caught me off guard and wanted me to sign up for the weight loss program and told me i couldn't actually buy anything till i did.So i took relevant info on it and said i will get back to them once i have read it thru ( lol..chickened out i guess but i didn't really have the time to get into detail being weighed and measured at the time).So now don't know whether to just try Optifast or go the 'tony way'.

Bronnie..u r a legend.. and sssooo organised. The docs will see how committed you are and book you in next week! :biggrin1: Good luck with the dates

take care

Loretta :biggrin1:

waiting,waiting,waiting.....