Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Airlines and Obese people

Hi all again,

I was just wondering about certain airlines and what their rules are about obese people and their seating arrangements? I know Southwest requires you to buy an extra seat if you are too big, but what about American or other airlines? The last time I flew Southwest, I had to ask for a seatbelt extender, but that was before their new rules. I have no problem asking for a seatbelt extender, but would rather not if didn't have too. But, I usually ask the flight attendant when I board so I don't have to later and risk complete embarrassment, ya know? I am 6'1, and weigh around 385, so I really don't look so much that weight(as told by a doctor recently), but people see you differently than others.

Thanks again for any replies. :)

Peace,

Judy

How did Southwest determine who needed to buy an extra seat and who didn't? It must be arbitrary!

I flew quite frequently at 350+ and I'm only 5'2. I was uncomfortable on several flights with the arm rest digging into my side (even leaving bruises) but no one ever suggested that I needed to buy an extra seat.

I think at 6'1, you'll be fine on any large commercial airline.

I "borrowed" a seatbelt extender about 5 years ago and took it on every flight with me because asking for it is such a pain and embarassment. The FA's would sometimes forget until right before takeoff, then they'd rush back with it for the world to see. So, I just took one.

I flew a few weeks ago and it was the 4th flight in a row where I didn't need an extender. I almost left it on the plane, but held onto it. I'm flying in February and I think I'll take it and leave it on the plane then. Or, I'd be glad to send it to you, if you're worried about your trip....

How did Southwest determine who needed to buy an extra seat and who didn't? It must be arbitrary!

I flew quite frequently at 350+ and I'm only 5'2. I was uncomfortable on several flights with the arm rest digging into my side (even leaving bruises) but no one ever suggested that I needed to buy an extra seat.

I think at 6'1, you'll be fine on any large commercial airline.

I "borrowed" a seatbelt extender about 5 years ago and took it on every flight with me because asking for it is such a pain and embarassment. The FA's would sometimes forget until right before takeoff, then they'd rush back with it for the world to see. So, I just took one.

I flew a few weeks ago and it was the 4th flight in a row where I didn't need an extender. I almost left it on the plane, but held onto it. I'm flying in February and I think I'll take it and leave it on the plane then. Or, I'd be glad to send it to you, if you're worried about your trip....[/

I am very worried about my flight, I have stopped flying because last time I flew (20pounds ago) the seat belt was very tight. Where can I get an extender?

Wilma

You can buy them online, they aren't expensive, and if you're concerned about the $ you can always turn around and sell it to someone else. It's not like they go bad. :)

As for the rules, ANY airline *can* require a POS (person of size) to buy an additional seat. Southwest is the most well known/frequent enforcer. Their policy is that, arbitrarily, a "POS" can be required to purchase a second seat. If the flight ends up being full, they keep the fare. If the flight ends up having extra seats, they will refund the extra fare to you. It's a fair policy, though ideally they'd just make the seats wider... not going to happen when it's about the $$, but what's not fair is that there are no set determinations for who's a "POS" and who isn't. I've seen someone singled out as a POS before, while I've also seen, many times, someone larger than this person left alone.

I'm about 5'10, maybe plus a bit, and flew at my highest of around 380. That's a size 34+, if that helps. The seatbelts were tight, and I had to wrestle to get the fastener engaged, but I could do it.

Wilma, if you're worried about your flight, try to book on Midwest. Depending on the route, they have an "every seat is first class" make-up, with very wide seats. I can now fit comfortably into regular airline seats/seatbelts, but I will still opt for Midwest when it's available to my destination city.