Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 day post-op....Never thought I'd be here!

Wow....this is an honor to finally be on the losers bench!!! I gotta say it might have been a leeeetle bit tougher than I thought. But here I am....3 days and suckin down my Water, broth, sf Jello, sf popsicles....haha. I'm going to go ahead and write a blow by blow so everyone can get an idea of it from my perspective. PLUS it will give some of those worried about surgery in MX some info.

Congratulations! Sounds like you are hanging in there and happy to be losing. My surgery is in 13 days so I support you and will be along side you soon!

My surgery was on 8/21/2013 with Dr Rodriguez in Tijuana, MX. I arrived bright and early in San Diego where my coordinator picked me up (she did not have to do this but was worried because I was getting there so early). We went into MX across the border.....it was nothing like I'd been warned by all my naysayer friends, by the way. The Hospital (Hospital Angeles) was beautiful with marble floors (literally) my room seemed more like a resort. TV was sketch only because there were few channels, but I never even watched it at all...it was only background noise. There was even a TGIF's across the street for those who come along for the ride. I have to say they (belightweight) took care of everything from start to finish. I never even had to stand there to sign all the paperwork, it was done and brought to me to sign. It all began with the best looking and smelling Dr. (Dr Raynes) greeting me and telling me what all was going to happen. I was nervous because I'd never been under general anesthesia. First it was to imaging where they took x-rays of my lungs. Then right up to my room....very nice too. Very quickly a gal came and did an EKG. I settled in and a little bit later they came in to take the blood and start my IV....(I knew it would be difficult because I am a hard one to get for IV's) Five sticks later and a bleed out on my bed... they finally had an IV in place. I did not find this as a negative for the staff because it's happened to me everywhere I've ever been. Dr. Rod came in with Dr. Elmo about 15 mins later and told me once the blood work came back I would be his 2nd surgery right after my neighbor. This came about all too soon..... I was still reeling from the stress of all the IV sticks. I did NOT want to go into surgery!!!! waaaahhh. But in I went....a couple of the staff introduced themselves and pretty soon a pretty gal came at me with a mask saying what I thought was "Dees ees some Oxygen....breath" next thing I knew, I was trying to take off that mask she was giving me....but I suddenly realized my midsection did not feel right at all! That's when it hit me the surgery was OVER!!! Goodness what had happened??? Well apparently I don't come out too swift from General because I felt awful.....really awful. It probably took a couple hours for me to even think I'd live. But I did live....and got better and better moment by moment literally. I pretty much just internalized everything...I'm not one for crying and complaining.... I just get quiet and lock and load. I rested the rest of the evening and slept when I could. Lots of people checking on me and doing this and that. The next morning my daughter had visited with the neighbor. She was already showered, up and walking!!! AND she was a revision from plication to sleeve! My daughter at this point decided for herself I was being a wussie. So this 16 year old marched me into the shower.....helped me into fresh hospital garb....and MADE me walk!!! How dare her!!! But it worked!! before too long I could do a couple of laps with no problem (not saying you won't be sore) later on that evening a few more gals showed up and before you knew it, we were all congregated in the hall yapping like women do. lol We even ticked off another gal trying to sleep, so we went back to our rooms. I had some pain meds every so often in my IV but never felt woozy) I had a tiny.... dry heavy thingy almost like little stomach spasms but it went away quickly. Saw my neighbor again and saw she had broth and jello.....WHAT!!!!???!!! I was starving! Took about 3 hours for me to get up the proper sign language for "Where's my FOOD" lol but I did get my stuff....disappointing....I couldn't eat anything but a tiny sip and bit of Jello. Next thing you know The sweet smelling Dr. Raynes came by to grab me for the leak test....(uh, yuk is the right word, but you'll live) I passed with flying colors....and I'm not eating anything out of order I do NOT want to develop a leak. They brought by all my test results (full film and all.... for me to take back with me to the states...even the little tag from the serial number on my staples!) Everything else from here on out was resting, joking, and getting up the gumption to leave the next day. Friday came too soon. Alberto came to the room to let me know he'd be by around 2:30 to get us to the airport. We got packed and waited... Dr. Rodrigues came by with Dr. Elmo again....Dr Raynes was with us the most as he is a sort of liason, I think. My Coordinator had been with me on and off all along. 2:30 came and it was time to go we went downstairs to meet Alberto with the van... nice van!!! Now we got to see the Tijuana I'd heard of. He drove like a banshee and was funny as heck! Even stopped at the border to buy an ice cream for himself and my daughter. Almost had an altercation with another person crossing the border....Alberto was NOT giving up his spot...but the wife got out of their car and put herself between us and them... so they got ahead....wow!!! after that everything was uneventful....we got to the airport and I asked for a wheelchair because I could'nt imagine hurrying between gates even though I felt ok for slow stuff. Now....fast forward to today....I'm home, safe and sound. My husband is treating me like a queen and I can get a bit more down....I'll put more posts at 10 days etc... because I know I loved reading this stuff when I was pre-op. Thanks everyone for your stories....:)