Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do YOU say?

Hi everyone!

I was just courious about what some of you have been telling

people about how you lost your weight? I know when I see a co worker that's losing weight, I'm the first one asking "How did you do it"? I don't think I'm ready to tell the world I'm banded. Does that make me a hypocrite? I mean I enjoy sharing my experience with you guys but the rest of the world is very judgemental.

Does everyone know that YOU were banded?

Love,

Margret

Banded 7/26/04

Dr. Lopez-T.J.

215/210/140

Hi Margret,

Not that many people have noticed (I haven't lost much yet), but when someone does ask... I say, I am eating smaller portions, focusing on Protein first and exercising.

I have only told my mom, boyfriend, and 1 close friend about my band... and now that I have only lost about 15lbs since Feb., I am glad I kept my mouth shut. Very hard for me to do because I am an open book, but in this particular case it was a good test for me. Had I told everyone, I could hear them every time they saw me... How much have you lost now? And since I haven't been very successful thus far, that would really bring me down.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say.

Pretty much anyone I know who is close enough to ask me about it is someone close enough for me to tell. So far in my business life no one has mentioned a thing--not even the colleagues in my office whom I didn't clue in at the start. I figure if they're not going to bring it up I certainly won't.

Recently I saw someone I know professionally after a long time apart. She had no idea anything was up and when she saw me she just said "wow, look at you!" She didn't continue and I just laughed and said hi. She took her cue from me as much as I take my cue from others.

So I guess the short answer is that if anyone asks, I'd probably tell. But most people I know socially don't ask. Anyone close to me probably already knows.

Hi Margret,

Only my family and a few close friends know that I have been banded. I haven't lost enough weight for anyone to notice yet... but if they ask... I'll tell them I am just eating a low carb/ high Protein diet... tis the truth! :)

Darcy

So far, only my husband knows. I also had my gall bladder removed, so I have an easy out. I may tell others later, I haven't decided yet. I just don't want to be under a microscope. If someone notices that I've lost weight, I just say, "Yeah, I'm trying." One bandster said she's on a "doctor's supervised diet." I loved that one!

I don't tell everyone about it. Only my immediate family and close friends know. If someone asks me what I am doing. I just tell them I am watching what I eat, eating smaller portions, and exercising more. Drinking lots of Water as well. That seems to satisfy their inquiring minds.

They really don't want to know actually they just want to know if there is some miracle cure they aren't aware of. LOL!!

I'm just starting to tell people now - I suppose at the start when I initially got the band - telling people would have been like admitting I was fat & needed help ! lol - I know thats daft... & that everyone around me could see that... but it's so difficult admitting I had a problem - even though the world only had to look at me & could see it!

I've mainly has positive responses about my band - although almost EVERYONE thinks its a Gastric Bypass or "stomach stapling" ARGH !

I feel it's an individual thing - don't feel pressured to tell people - if you do want to the go for it! if not? then don't... it's nobody's business!

I used to say "I'm just cutting down what I eat & being really careful" - that usually does the trick !

I've actually printed off pictures of my band with a little info - if someone genuinely is interested in it - I show them it! Saves alot of explaining !

Aud x

I have told one who has told many so I am very open about it at work. It can back fire though. If you read my post Thoughts from the teachers lounge, you will see what I mean. But for the most part if they ask and they are heavy I tell them.

I can't keep my mouth shut, i think the world knows i have a band

I have had mainly positive responses about it, and now the weight is comeing off i am getting quite a few compliments. :)

Anne, how arw you doing with the leak? Is the fill holding for you? You have started to lose, hope it's working.

I usually tell everyone now, but I do wished I hadn't told everyone BEFORE the surgery. There have been a few who have quizzed me consistently which was very bothersome especially when my loss was stalled. No one really gets the concept of 'SLOW' weight loss. It really is NOT supposed to just drop off of us all at once.

I finally told my boss after she had asked me EVERYDAY how much I had lost.. -.. about .025lbs more than the LAST time you asked me.. ugh. I know it was rude, but it was also rude of her to keep putting me on the spot like that. Then, I had a sister-in-law who was going to Mexico every few weeks and taking some kind of amino acid shots and doing the Protein diet who was losing extremely well - too fast, really - but she would call me and ask me consistently, to compare my weight loss to hers. I found it extremely annoying. So - if I had it to do over. I would not have been so open about it until I had really gotten some weight loss behind me.

Just my 2 cents...