Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Return to work - highly physical jobs

If you work in a highly physical job, how long did you stay out of work following surgery? How long until you were able to perform "normally".

I have a very physically demanding job working in a food manufacturing plant. - 12 hr swing shifts, dumping 50lb bags of ingredients (up to 1600lbs at a time), climbing lots of stairs and ladders, doing maintenance, and working in consistently hot temperatures (85 degrees+).

I'm especially concerned about the heat/ potential for dehydration.

I have short term and long term disability available as well as several weeks of light duty when I do return to work. I'm just need to give my manager a rough idea if how long I'll be out. I'm guessing about 6 weeks, but is love to hear your experience.

Surgery will be 9/3. Almost there : )

Wow. that IS a physical job. I don't work anymore (but in my past life I was an Army soldier - pretty physical at times and an RN) but with my rough recovery, I'd probly take a couple months off if I did the same things that u do.

Most people bounce back quicker. Guess I'm a big baby. Also, my dr took an extra 30 minutes to dig my band outa my stomach, making for a more painful recovery.

Good luck with ur surgery!

I work in a hospital in diagnostic imaging. I have to help lift patients and move heavy machines. It took me 7 weeks to feel up to trying my job. I went back half time for a week and then full time. For the first 2 weeks, I could only do my job and take care of me.... no housework, no grocery shopping, no bills being paid etc. Everyone is different, but with the job you are describing I would take at least 8 weeks off and then use as much light duty as possible before being thrown into the "furnace" again.

Good luck to you! I hope your surgery is smooth sailing!

Sounds like my job. 12 hour rotating shifts in a chemical plant. Outside in the weather. Must be able to lift 50 lbs...climb stairs and ladders all day, and yes...dumping 70 lb sacks of powder many times daily. I took off 6 weeks. Honestly, I think I could have been back at 4 weeks. My biggest problem was on surgery day it was springtime...mild temps. By the time I was released, it was full on summer and I was not acclimated to the heat. It kicked my butt the first 2 weeks. And my energy was not quite 100% of course due to such low calories. But it got much better very quickly.

Butterthebean- did you have any problems with dehydration?

Right now, my work day liquid consumption is around 200oz per day. Operating on less than 1/2 of that just has me worried.

My insurance required pre-op diet ended up taking 9 months instead of 6. It was extremely frustrating, but right now I'm counting it as a blessing. Returning to work in Oct/Nov will be much easier than returning in the middle of summer.

If you work in a highly physical job' date=' how long did you stay out of work following surgery? How long until you were able to perform "normally".

I have a very physically demanding job working in a food manufacturing plant. - 12 hr swing shifts, dumping 50lb bags of ingredients (up to 1600lbs at a time), climbing lots of stairs and ladders, doing maintenance, and working in consistently hot temperatures (85 degrees+).

I'm especially concerned about the heat/ potential for dehydration.

I have short term and long term disability available as well as several weeks of light duty when I do return to work. I'm just need to give my manager a rough idea if how long I'll be out. I'm guessing about 6 weeks, but is love to hear your experience.

Surgery will be 9/3. Almost there : )[/quote']

I would take 8 weeks of you can...then light duty. It is the lack of energy that could be a problem.

Butterthebean- did you have any problems with dehydration?

Right now, my work day liquid consumption is around 200oz per day. Operating on less than 1/2 of that just has me worried.

My insurance required pre-op diet ended up taking 9 months instead of 6. It was extremely frustrating, but right now I'm counting it as a blessing. Returning to work in Oct/Nov will be much easier than returning in the middle of summer.

I went back to work in late June (here in Houston) and it was very tough getting in my Water, but I managed. By then I was 6 weeks out and doing great with Fluid intake. I will admit my energy levels weren't great and my heat tolerance was extremely low. But within 2 weeks I was astounded at my improvement. I felt so much better than I did pre-op, even though I was still recovering. I really had to make hydration a priority but I suffered no ill effects. I also wasn't allowed any light duty due to the nature of my employment, so I had to hit the ground running. Light duty would have been a good way to ease back into things.