Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am only 3 1/2 weeks out from surgery so please understand that I am still a newbie. I am looking for insight from long term sleevers. I understood from my physician and nutritionist that there is a "honeymoon period" during the first ~6 months post surgery when hunger pangs are nearly nonexistent. That eating might seem like a full time job as one tries to get in proper amounts of Protein and liquid. I also understood that after this "honeymoon period" hunger pangs may come back but that the sleeve would continue to help one feel full quickly (after only a small meal) if one followed the recommended eating and drinking guidlines.

Have you long timers found this to be true?

Even at only ~3 weeks out from surgery I already have some pretty strong hunger pangs. They are quieted after a small meal but they return - again and again. I am concerned about what I will feel like later if this is what my "honeymoon" is like.

What has your experience been now that you are further out from surgery?

Does bougie size make a difference? I know smaller bougies make for smaller sleeves and less room for food. Do larger bougies result in greater hunger both during honeymoon and later on? My doctor told me mine was 36 French. He said it was on the large-ish side of the range he uses. I am not unhappy about anything with the surgery so far except the slow rate of weight loss and the surprising degree of hunger I experience.

Did I miss "my honeymoon"? Any thoughts or stories to share?

Yeah, my bougie was a 40. BUT, in my case I am not sure I've never known what "hunger" is/was. I just ate all the time. Now I have a routine and I stick to it, because I am personally convinced that "Skippy", my evil brain, is crazy and tells me to eat all the time.

I was also sleeved on 7/31 just over three weeks and I have the same problem I feel hungry at times and I worry what it's going to be like a few months from now or even a year out.

Are you taking an acid blocker? Excess acid mimics hunger and that might be the key to what you are feeling. :)

LipstickLady is right. I have not had my sleeve done yet but I can tell you she is right about using the acid blocker. I had my gallbladder removed years ago and have since put on a LOT of weight. I've always had that hungery feeling since having had that surgery. It took 12 years and me coming on this forum to learn about this acid thing causing a hunger feeling. No Dr ever told me about that. I've been on Prilosec for 2 weeks now and can already feel the difference. I plan on filling up my carry on with the stuff when I go to MX to have my sleeve.

I was sleeved 2/12/13. I now get hunger pangs but its nothing you should worry about. I do 6 meals a day and my body is pretty much used to having mini-meals. The pangs kick in when I skip a meal... Not randomly, or all day. If a crave a brownie, I make it a mini-meal. Im super happy with my results and my new lifestyle. Good luck!

I believe that our bodies are always trying to tell us when we need something, the problem comes from our difficulty interpreting those messages appropriately. I personally do not feel hungry per se but when I am deficient in something like Protein or some other nutrient my body will try to let me know by causing weakness, or shakiness, or rumbling or headaches. The key I believe is to figure out what we need and just add what is needed instead of shot gunning every problem with as much food as possible. Good Luck.

I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and started getting hungry on day 10. No one can convince me that it's acid. I take 20 mg of Prilosec daily and I know what hunger pangs feel like. After about 4-6 bites, I'm done. However, I'm hungry again 90 minutes later. I'm eating about 7-8 meals a day of just a few bites. When I'm able to eat Jerky and almonds (another 3 weeks) I will carry them in my purse to snack on.

Sorry, just reread your post that said you wanted to hear from long term sleevers. I am not. Just thought I'd chime in!

I'm not a long term sleeved either but I have to agree on the acid blocker. I had issues with getting my omeprazole prescription filled as insurance didn't like the way the prescription was written so I went a couple of weeks without it and had the same hunger pangs. A friend told me it was acid and sure enough, once I got on the meds, the pangs went away. I don't feel hunger but I can tell my energy level declines when I've waited too long to eat.

I'm not a long-term sleever, same tenure as you, but I think it's normal to feel somewhat hungry. I mean, we're eating barely anything, your body is going to crave nourishment.

At first I clearly had head hunger because I was literally daydreaming about food, sandwiches, rice, gooey cheese, chicken kebabs etc. I stuck with the shakes. Now hunger for me isn't about food tastes, it's about getting light-headed, shaky, weak, and knowing I NEED to eat. I ask myself if I could drink a Protein shake. If the answer to that is yes, then I'm pretty sure it's real hunger because I am quite heartily sick of Protein Shakes :)

But this seems to be a more "normal" hunger to me, which is our bodies saying "feed me or I will keel over" rather than "hmmm...what sounds yummy to eat"? Again, I could be totally wrong, but it'd be weird if we had no need/signal for nourishment at all, right?

I'm just 3 weeks and 1 day out, and my Doc used a 32Fr. bougie. I have not been hungry at all since surgery. I have to make myself get in all my Protein. I have less difficulty with just flavored water. I start soft foods tomorrow, and hopefully I won't have any difficulty. I seem to have more problems with the Protein Shakes then blended Soups or greek yogurt. I love not being hungry, but having to force myself to get my 70 grams of protein in is not fun.

I'm just 3 weeks and 1 day out' date=' and my Doc used a 32Fr. bougie. I have not been hungry at all since surgery. I have to make myself get in all my Protein. I have less difficulty with just flavored Water. I start soft foods tomorrow, and hopefully I won't have any difficulty. I seem to have more problems with the Protein shakes then blended Soups or greek yogurt. I love not being hungry, but having to force myself to get my 70 grams of protein in is not fun.[/quote']

Amy do you not get lightheaded I'd you don't eat? That's really the only way I know it's time to eat.

I've had hunger the whole time (10 weeks). I've also been on an acid blocker since week 2. I can tell you, if I don't eat, I get hungry. I don't eat a lot but I do get in all my Protein and I drink my Water. I'm finally back up to 64 oz.

I am working my way up to 100 oz as that's more in line with my life pre-op. Make sure you're drinking enough Water too. If you're not, thirst can make your body think you're hungry.

Thanks for all the replies. Did any of you take acid blockers before surgery? I have only tried them once (while trying to clear a supposed H. Pylori infection) and they made me sick as a dog. I am reluctant to try them again on my new and tender tummy. Just wondering what your experience with them has been like.

I have had hunger pangs from the day I got sleeved! My stomach growls and lets me know when it's time to eat. I've lost 165 pounds in a year so my hunger pangs have had no negativity. My head hunger is about 90% gone. That's what's made the huge difference in my life. I have a hunger pang so I eat a few bites and I'm full and satisfied. I lost 105 pounds the first six months and 60 pounds in the next 6 months. I feel the entire year was a honeymoon stage. I've went below my goal and I'm now trying not to lose anymore weight. Good luck!