Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 8 Surgery - Dr. Volckmann in Salt Lake City

Long time lurker, first time poster.

My attempts at weight loss began a long time ago through many weight loss programs. My weight loss surgery journey began in December 2012. Initially, I went to a local surgeon that had a small weight loss surgery center. My original intention was to have a Lapband installed. After seeing their presentation that outlined the different options, a gastric sleeve seemed to be more appropriate. I jumped through all the hoops that were put before me. I took the blood tests. Went to the physical therapist. Presented myself humbly before a psychologist. Also, endured 6 months of weight loss counseling.

When the 6 months of weight loss counseling concluded (May 2013), I eagerly called the weight loss center to schedule my surgery. Nobody answered the telephone. Just a week or so before, the surgeon closed down his practice and left the state. I immediately called my primary physician and she presented me several options. I did my research and felt most comfortable with Dr. Volckmann at the University of Utah Hospital. I called Dr. Volckmann’s office and a very knowledgeable staff member took my call. After presenting my situation, the assistant took my information and said she would get back to me. A short while later, I received a call and my first appointment with Dr. Volckmann.

Sometime in mid-June 2013, I drove to Salt Lake City to see their weight loss presentation. This was my main drawback, since Salt Lake City is a 5 hour drive for me. However, the presentation was put together very well and was informative. The next day after the presentation, I had a meeting with Dr. Volckmann’s dietician. She was very thorough and knowledgeable. We briefly went through what I had previously learned and the basics of what Dr. Volckmann wanted me to learn. Interestingly, there were a few differences, but nothing major. During this time, the medical secretary was busy setting up appointments for me. This included an appointment to have a barium test. Never had one and hope to never have another. Before leaving, I received an appointment for a July 3 endoscopy and a July 5 meeting with a psychologist as well as a follow-up with the dietician.

The endoscopy went fine. The meeting with the psychologist went fine as well. The dietician gave me a brief quiz and I passed. I was told that I was cleared for my gastric sleeve surgery. They were willing to set up a mid-July surgery date. Due to work commitments, I opted for an August 8 appointment.

One thing to note is that I had the luxury of seeing the approaches of two different surgeons through the preparation phase for gastric sleeve surgery. Dr. Volckmann deserves an A+. I could tell through the additional tests (barium and endoscopy) that he wanted as much information as possible upfront before he sliced me open. My previous surgeon never mentioned these tests. As a patient, I appreciate the thoroughness. Also to note, Dr. Volckmann has a world class staff. Everyone has been pleasant and very helpful. The helpful part is now coming handy as I am fighting insurance denials. Additionally, I never saw the previous surgeon through the process. I believe that I saw Dr. Volckmann every time that I visited his clinic. That means a lot to me.

I semi-faithfully followed my pre-op diet. Then too quickly the August 8 surgery date approached. I drove to Salt Lake by myself, since I have kept my gastric sleeve surgery secret except for close friends and family. Unfortunately everyone had work commitments and I had to go alone. I got a hotel room the night before the surgery. I was nervous and did something stupid. My last meal was an almond snickers bar. I woke up early the next morning and was extremely nervous about the surgery. I drove to the hospital and checked in. Once they made me strip down and put on a gown….that is when it got really serious. Cold feet settled in. When the Physician Assistant came in, I told her that I had cold feet. From her expression, I guess she doesn’t get that too often. Deep down I still wanted the surgery, but at the moment my nerves were a little tense. We kidded around a little and before I knew it the anesthesiologist did his job and I was getting sleepy. I was wheeled into the surgery room around 10:30 am. My first recollection is around 4:30 pm when the surgeon told me that everything went well.

The next time I woke up was in my hospital room to a familiar voice. A friend decided to come and visit me. I was excited. He asked me about pain, but I did not feel any. My friend stayed for about 45 minutes. After he left, I fell asleep again. Nurses and others came in and out of my room, but I really don’t remember too much about it. They wanted me to walk, but I felt dizzy and nauseas. I just kept on clicking the button for more dilaudid.

My next recollection is the next morning when with a moment of clarity I decided that I was not in any pain and would cease clicking the button for dilaudid. I started to walk and became restless. With the television not working in my room there really wasn’t anything to do. Even though I had no pain, every now and then the nurse would insist that I take some liquid Tylenol. I still wasn’t drinking much Water and eating nothing. It seemed with the IVs that I had hooked up to me that I was getting the proper hydration and nourishment.

That night I was woken about every hour. They were taking blood sugar. They were taking blood. They wanted my blood pressure. Without the drugs, it started to annoy me. That next morning a nurses aid took my weight without removing a medical device that was hanging around my neck. With the medical device, my weight was 10 pounds more than my presurgery weight. I mentioned my disgust to the nurse and how it was medically pointless to keep me in the hospital any further. That didn't go over too well. Luckily, my surgeon visited me that morning and agreed to dismiss me. After a long 4 hour dismissal process by my nurse, I was finally dismissed. Even though I am not happy with the dismissal process, I received world class care from the University of Utah Hospital. I drove to a hotel room where I was to be picked up by a family member. I kept on drinking my Water and sipping a Protein shake.

Post surgery, I never felt any pain or side effects. My surgery took place on a Thursday. Even though I planned on taking 2 weeks off for recovery, I went back to work the following Tuesday. Before I met with Dr. Volckmann, my weight was somewhere around 340 lbs. I dieted on and off pre-surgery. The morning of my surgery I weighed 321 lbs. Exactly 2 weeks after the surgery, I weigh 303 lbs. Weight loss has slowed down considerably, but I am dedicated to a change in my lifestyle. My goal weight is 220 lbs. I have my 2 week follow-up appointment tomorrow.

One bad side effect is my insurance. I was preapproved, but getting them to pay their share is becoming a pain. Fortunately the insurance advocate in Dr. Volckmann’s office has been tremendously helpful!

Overall, I am extremely pleased with Dr. Volckmann. He is an excellent surgeon and a guide through this process. His bariatric staff are not only knowledgeable, but pleasant to interact with. I am excited for the remaining journey and the new me. Thanks Dr. Volckmann and Staff!!!

Thanks for sharing. Wishing you the best of luck as you continue your journey.