Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical mystery - was leaking but growing more restricted at the same time

Hello,

Perhaps you all can help me solve this medical mystery....

I found the restriction on my band gradually grew tighter and tighter over about 2-3 weeks time. I was often uncomfortable after eating and the pain was so bad that I had to throw up. I thought my band was too tight or maybe I didn't chew well enough. It worsened to the point where there were 3 days were I was unable to even drink Water because of too much restriction and the pain was unbearable for anything I swalled. I suspected I was dealing with inflamation caused by several bad nights of acid reflux followed by coughing. In addition, one night I hurled a forceful puke (which was not self-induced) and it was a painful experience.

Fearing I would need to be hospitalized for dehydration, I got a complete unfill as soon as possible by my local fill Dr. (I was banded in Mexico.) I felt immediate relief.

Here's the medical mystery.....

The Dr found that the band system was not under pressure as expected. He had to pull out the saline out by drawing up on the needle (normally the saline would just sort of pop out under pressure).

We expected to find approximately 1.75 cc's in my 4cc band. Instead the doctor found there was less than .75 cc's in my band, which is not much. Somehow 1cc leaked out in just a month's time. 1cc is a lot of saline to lose.

I don't quite understand why was I growing more and more restricted and at the same time I was apparently losing both saline and pressure in the band system. Now I'm wondering if I have a leaky system and if this will require me to have more surgery to replace parts. I briefly spoke to Dr Ortiz in Mexico over the phone who said "don't worry about losing saline, there are a thousand possible causes for this, stick to a liquid diet for 3-5 days and wait at least 2 weeks before having another fill". He felt confident I didn't have a slip in my band because I wouldn't have been able to eaten lunch (without problem), which I did before I speaking to him. I forgot to ask him about the lack of pressure in the band.

I guess I won't really know if I have problems in my lapband system until after my next fill. If I encounter further problems, I'll have to pay for an upper GI to investige I welcome your opinions on this strange phenomenon. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and for your support. This is a wonderful forum.

Sincere regards, Sweet Susan

I'd be thinking maybe a slip? With bad reflux and trouble keeping food down...just a thought. I'm no dr so best to get it checked out.

Also, my dr says that you get that forceful push out of liquid only if you are too tight. If you are at good restriction it doesn't all pop out like that. My dr has to pull up on the plunger to get the Fluid out when I get a fill (he takes it all out then puts it back in plus some).