Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach Size After Two Years Out

I am two and 1/2 years after surgery and my stomach can hold quite a bit. I am wondering how much it should hold at this point. I am so worried I have stretched it and my weight is slowly creeping up in the last few months.

I can eat about 6 to 8 oz. of Protein in a sitting and don't feel satisfied sometimes. I have also been snacking in between meals which might be the reason for the weight gain. Sometimes at lunch I have a Protein Drink which is 11 oz and I can drink it all.

It may well be the grazing. I had some experience with that. It defeats the purpose of the sleeve. As soon as I stopped it I began losing weight again.

I can eat about 6 to 8 oz. of Protein in a sitting and don't feel satisfied sometimes. I have also been snacking in between meals which might be the reason for the weight gain. Sometimes at lunch I have a protein drink which is 11 oz and I can drink it all.

Drinking 11oz of Protein Shake is easy to do even at a year out..so I wouldn't worry about that.

Are you measuring your protein to know the exact amounts? Although 6oz again isn't that uncommon. Snacking yes that's what starts to get most of us.. As our stomach relaxes we are able to fit a lot more in. So I would imagine at two years it's even easier to eat larger amounts.

If you need Snacks make them low carb protein or veggies. I can eat tons of carbs at a sitting (crackers chips etc) so it's about self control.

If you think it's that bad though... Have you thought about having an upper GI to see what's going on?

Thanks so much for the advice. It very well may be the grazing. I am trying my hardest to stop. The grazing could very well relax and enlarge the stomach size, right?

The upper GI is definitely a good idea as well. Can they tell the size of your pouch from that?

I think with time we get lax about slider food and not pay attention to just what we eat. I'm only 9 months out and I bet I could eat a huge bucket of popcorn.. But only 4-5 oz of Protein.< /p>

Yes if they scope you they can see what's going on in there...

You would probably have to get a referral from your surgeon for it.

Have you brought up these concerns with your surgeon?

I think with time we get lax about slider food and not pay attention to just what we eat. I'm only 9 months out and I bet I could eat a huge bucket of popcorn.. But only 4-5 oz of Protein.

Very true!!

Yes if they scope you they can see what's going on in there...

You would probably have to get a referral from your surgeon for it.

Have you brought up these concerns with your surgeon?

Unfortunately I no longer have the same insurance so I cannot see my surgeon. I have to start all over with my primary doctor. A long process but I think I should definitely do it. Thanks for the advice!

I know this lady was on soft foods when she posted this, but I think it's a good act to follow to stay on track. Thoughts?

Unfortunately I no longer have the same insurance so I cannot see my surgeon. I have to start all over with my primary doctor. A long process but I think I should definitely do it. Thanks for the advice!

I think it would be worth it...

We have a vets forum here.... And I can tell you eating more is an issue to most of the vets.

The whole stretching thing? Well I find the jury's still out not that some doctors tell you "It can't happen" others say "Oh yes it can"

I tend to believe it can happen. Not out to the original size of course but enough that we have to be really careful about what we are eating for the rest of our lives...

Are you drinking properly? No Water 30 min before and 60 min. after?

I have heard that the main reason we need to avoid Water when eating is because drinking while eating enables us to eat more. And the "felling of fullness" is not achieved when eating and drinking.

I completely understand being human and making missteps. My attitude is to do the best I possibly can. There are times when I do something bad ... like have a little ice cream. But I do my best to be fully conscious about what I'm doing. In other words, I do not hide my head in the sand when I choose to stray from the prescribed way of eating.

What keeps me on the straight and narrow is to keep track of what I consume (I use Fitness Pal). As long as I don't lie to myself or refuse to take an honest look at how many calories I'm consuming ... I avoid getting into serious trouble.

Before going on this new diet for life, I used to eat a full brownie, sometimes 2. Then after deciding to change my eating habits, I would eat only half a brownie. Now, in those moments when I feel I just have to have something sweet, I eat 1/4 of a brownie -- under 100 calories.

Being honest with yourself is the key to success, I believe.

I know this lady was on soft foods when she posted this, but I think it's a good act to follow to stay on track. Thoughts?