Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Suggestion for the vets forum

Oh and Alex please disregard most of this thread (ok yeah most of my posts) but the first post...

Lasso' date=' whips, spurs, pistol - whatever it takes. :)[/quote']

Yowza! Now that's my type of girl!

Yowza! Now that's my type of girl!

You forum vets def know how to party lol

Yes, I don't think policing the forum is what I'm asking, just an adjustment in the posting guidelines. Although there has been more enforcement in the men's room/powder room lately so why not in the vets forum? I nominate Cowgirl Jane.

Yes, that is what I was asking for, too. Adjust and enforce the posting guidelines. In the thread, I believe Susan said she would be monitoring people's requests in this regard and make adjustments, but alas ...

I'm not sure the software has the capability to sort at the granular level you propose. I'm pretty sure it can only see how many posts we've made, not how far we are from surgery. And I don't think there is a filter that can be set to allow replies but not new posts.

That doesn't mean a policy can't be set. However, the current policy does specifically say the forum is: to discuss issues specific to those who are further along in their journey.

IMO, the best way to address it is to nicely point out the post should be moved and to not offer replies to questions that shouldn't be posted in the Vets forum.

Lynda

And you can always report a post in the Vets forum that doesn't belong there.

Lynda

Alex, I have a suggestion for the veterans forum that I think will both increase the traffic there, as well as cut down on non veteran related threads. I think the "6 months/100 posts" rule doesn't quite cover things. I propose a 1 year post op OR being within 15 pounds of goal to qualify....and by qualify I mean to start a new thread there.

I also feel that responding to threads should be opened up to all post ops provided they are answering the OP and not just throwing in their own off topic question. I feel that many people who are no where near goal may still have something to offer in some of those threads. After all many of them deal with real life beyond surgery, and we are all veterans in that area.

Very good suggestion.

I'd love to have a little more feedback on your suggestion from other members and vets.

We can easily enforce a rule like this once we make the changes that are coming shortly.

Okay I'm not a vet but I'd like to say something. (People like me and/or comments like this one are why you probably need your own space!) :)

I totally understand wanting to restrict posting rights. But I beg you, please do not restrict reading rights. I study the vets forum diligently every day. I am taking an extra week to recover from what my body needs, because I need to get my head in the right place to succeed, and I'm doing that by educating myself, by reading everythign I can lay my hands on, most especially the posts in the vets forum.

The vets forum helps me understand that this will be a life-long struggle. It allows me to see WHY I need to build in the right habits right now. And it gives me an idea of why I may need to make time to visit VST and the community even when I think it's not a big part of my life.

Peace out.

Okay I'm not a vet but I'd like to say something. (People like me and/or comments like this one are why you probably need your own space!) :)

I totally understand wanting to restrict posting rights. But I beg you, please do not restrict reading rights. I study the vets forum diligently every day. I am taking an extra week to recover from what my body needs, because I need to get my head in the right place to succeed, and I'm doing that by educating myself, by reading everythign I can lay my hands on, most especially the posts in the vets forum.

The vets forum helps me understand that this will be a life-long struggle. It allows me to see WHY I need to build in the right habits right now. And it gives me an idea of why I may need to make time to visit VST and the community even when I think it's not a big part of my life.

Peace out.

Reading will never be restricted.

Very good suggestion.

I'd love to have a little more feedback on your suggestion from other members and vets.

I'm with BtB on vets being a year out.

I love the vets board, glad we have it! I would rather newbies post questions for us on the general board rather than the vets board.

Y'all remember THIS thread?

That thread that Pdx posted has a opinions from a bunch of vets.

Very good suggestion.

We can easily enforce a rule like this once we make the changes that are coming shortly.

My opinion? One year or at least nine months. Not tied to goal. I originally thought six months was enough, but the kind of questions I see from those at six months out has made me change my mind. I believe most people at six months are still trying to get to goal, learning how to eat, etc. I really want to hear from the few people who are here with more experience and have a forum devoted to the issues I care about at two years plus.

We already have a group or thread for life at goal.

Lynda