Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 7 months out and doing everything I can to fill out the extra skin that starting to show more and more. I am lifting weights 3 times a week to build muscle to fill up the extra skin but seems to not be working as much as I like.

Does anyone use any types of creams or other things for extra skin?

I have looked into this a great deal. My insurance will NOT pay for any type of skin removal after WLS, so I have to deal with whatever I have. From what I have read it is basically a genetic lottery. Some people have really great elasticity and there skin eventually recovers and "bounces back". Others are not so fortunate and no amount of exercise or potions or secret sacrifices to the firm skin gods will help. But....I have also read there are things you can try. Everyone will have their own ideas or opinions. The regime I am going to use ( and have already started) is sea salt scrubs in the shower and LOTS of firming lotion daily. The theory is the salt scrubs will exfoliate the dead, unhealthy cells. That will stimulate new cell growth, and new cells are hopefully happy, healthy, and firm cells! Also the scrubs are usually made with essential oils that will help in healing the skin. ( I made mine with almond oil and Vitamin E) The firming lotion is for just that, firming. Also the better hydrated your skin is the better it will appear. ( and the healthier it will be) I am sure there will be a lot of ideas and tips and I look forward to seeing what others have tried!

According to my doctor, there is nothing, no lotion, no potion, no snake oil that will help in this regard. Elasticity is a function of age and genetics. Many companies, however, will be happy to tell you otherwise so as to improve their bottom line. It might be better to save the money you would have spent on those gimmicks in order to help pay for surgery if you decide to have it.

I own my own skin care company and have helped lots of people with skin issues. I've found for saggy and ultimately dry skin it helps to do something at both the cleansing and moisturizing stages.

For cleansing use a scrub. Scrubs help get rid of the dead top layer of skin and also help to break down more fat. Scrub in circular motion starting from the feet up to your face/head. Plus a brush as opposed to a puff or rag works better.

I've found Tree Hut brand works great and they are not that expensive.

For moisturizer I'd say if you're not into making any products, use something with Q10. Nivea has a great Q10 lotion I've used. It's not that thick so it works on really hot days when you don't want to sweat oil.

Now, I make most of my own skin care products:

An easy scrub to make: 1 cup (coarse sugar or salt), 1/2 cup almond or coconut oil, 1/4 cup glycerine, any essential oil for fragrance.

An easy skin moisturizer I make: 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1 T Vitamin E, 2 T avacado oil, essential oil for fragrance (I usually use peppermint). Now this can get really greasy really quick, so if you can buy a lotion or thick cream with Q10, you can pour the oils into the lotion to cut the greasy feel.

Hope these help!

According to my doctor, there is nothing, no lotion, no potion, no snake oil that will help in this regard. Elasticity is a function of age and genetics. Many companies, however, will be happy to tell you otherwise so as to improve their bottom line. It might be better to save the money you would have spent on those gimmicks in order to help pay for surgery if you decide to have it.

You're right nothing will cure the skin...but some things can at least help it "look" better. I've seen people experience healthier skin that appears much firmer. No, it won't take the place of a Tummy Tuck, but it has a better look/feel to it.