Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Addiction Article

Yay Sarah, so glad to see you here! When we "spoke" (through the magic of MSN Messenger!) recently, my heart went out to you, you seem to be suffering so much, in a circle of self-loathing and comfort eating - You HAVE to look at the weight you have lost with joy and respect. If you didn't have your band put in, you would more than likely weigh 50lbs more than your top weight.

I am so glad you got the book - she specifically doesn't lay out exact diet plans but lists food's glycemic (sp?) index, ie how much of a sugar "hit" you are likely to get from certain foods - she has fructose Syrup at one end of the scale, and wood at the other end!

For people who haven't heard of/read the book, here is a quote:

"While we think of sugar as a food, it is actually a drug - an external substance acting throughout the brain and body on cellular receptors designed for an internal chemical called glucose. Since glucose is usually the only fuel the brain can ever use, and is critical to mental clarity, mood states and the controlled release of energy in the body, it is astounding how cavelierly we sprinkle sugar, its inferior substitute, into everything from children's Breakfast to ketchup. If sugar were to be put on the market for the first time today, it would probably be difficult to get it past the FDA...."

I don't want to advertise this book - when I read it, the whole concept of the glycemic index of food was totally novel to me - but I now often see articles/books/tv programs about it - so if you are interested in this concept, or feel you may be sugar sensitive, you could check out any source really.

What attracted me was, the title - I had just weaned myself off prozac - I had all the symptoms of depression, and was prescribed the drug, but it made me crazy - so I felt there was something else wrong - and kept researching until I fould the link between sugar addiction + MO + depression. She even mentions in the book how you are more likely to suffer from sugar sensitivity if you have a lot of alcoholics in your family, which I do, so this convinced me that I was on the right track.

I am SHOCKED at the difference this theory has made on my life - that's all I can say. And Sarah, I really hope it helps you too - mostly tho, you should try to visit the support boards, and try not to get too isolated - you are doing brilliantly, considering the year you have just been through - I am thrilled for you and so proud of you.

Thanks Bright, for your kind words.

I will definitely be working on the sugar sensitivity theory and am awaiting delivery of the new book!

You're right, at least I'm trying to pull myself together from a position which is a lot lighter than I was this time last year......although it has now been exactly 1 year and 5 days since I had my band put in!

Anyway, the only way onwards is forwards (did i really say that?!) so I'll just have to keep scraping myself up off the floor and keep going!

Thanks to all for your support - I shouldn't have stayed away so long!

S.

Leatha, you're telling my story. I wonder how many of us struggle with depression, either as a precursor to or as a result of overeating and obesity.

Nancy

Sarah, hang in there. And though I know it is difficult, please don't berate yourself if you do overeat. In my experience, guilt for overeating only leads to more overeating. I have learned to be patient with myself. I am trying to establish healthy eating habits after 25 years of turning to food for all the wrong reasons. I know it is not going to happen overnight. After a year of being banded, I have lost some weight - not as much as others - and I'm getting better. But I have a long way to go and in the grand spectrum of things, a year really isn't that much time. To borrow a phrase from AA, progress, not perfection, is what we are seeking.

Nancy

For me, it was the depression first. I never ate a lot at any one meal. But it seemed I was continually eating (grazing). It certainly wasn't wise foods either. First, it seemed like the sweets craze. Then, the last several years, it's been more salty foods. Eating definitely was a way to avoid having to deal with problems. I thought it was a nonjudmental, always available, comforting, never too tired for me "friend".

Oh, yeah, that's my dogs!!! And they always offer to eat my leftovers so I don't overdo now.

My surgeon's only presurgical requirement was to be on a low glycemic diet. You can find a list of those foods on the internet. I just thought it was to help shrink my liver before surgery. It didn't register about the sugar content until I just now read this. Thanks for this article, Donali. And thanks, Bright, for your info. about artificial sweetners.

Sarah, I'm wishing clear skys and rainbows for you!

Thanks Nancy and Marie (and everyone else) for listening, and for your kind words.......

I'm definitely going to try and psych myself up for some 'progress' and try to get busy with other non-food related things.....

Thanks again,

Sarah

When I did Atkins I remember the 21 days it took not to crave the sugar. (BTW) It never really happend. I was ready to jump someone for a begal which I found out s probalby that my body wanted sugar. I love sweet things but I have never really been a depressed person. I am an extreem extrovert however. Hummm maybe this book is for me?:cry

Haven't even thought of begals since the banding... to worried about getting them down.