Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was the Band worth it?

I want to have the Lap Band surgery. I am attending a seminar this weekend and talked to my doctor yesterday. She was neutral of the idea. Although she did tell me that she has heard of people getting the Lap Band and then just gaining all the weight back. I have not heard of a case like that, and if I get the surgery I would be her only patient who has ever got the Band. So how much weight have you lost and have you keep it off? Do you know of anyone who has had the weight come back. Now I do know that if the weight comes back then it would have come back no matter what type of surgery the person had. But since this surgery is so expensive I want to know how many of you had the weight come back? I will also be asking the doctor doing the seminar that question tommorrow but I think that the best answers come from the people who have had the surgery. So please reply and thank you.

The weight will only come back if you dont make the necessary lifestyle changes. This will be talked about at the seminar and also at the psyche eval. I know people that have had rny bypass. Some are the posterchildren who still 4 years out watch themselves very carefully to maintain control on their weight. I also know some that have ignored the rules and regained quite a bit of their weight. I think it is completely individual. How prepared are you to making the necessary changes. Can you say I will never have another carbonated beverage. Will I do everything I can to use this tool to help me? After all that is all this is. A little tool. You still have to do the hard work on making good decisions about food and exercise. This is not to say that you will never slip up and eat something you shouldnt or skip a workout here and there. Hey after all we are all human. But it is much easier to have just a little of something bad with this band. The band is a huge commitment. Especially for the first year. Fine tuning and tweaking your adjustments. I am only nearly 7 months out so I cant really that long term I wont regain weight. What I can say is that so far this has been totally worth it and it will always be there 5 or 10 yrs down the road if I regain weight. I will still be able to go back to my surgeon and get an adjustment and regain control. With bypass surgery you have a 1-2 yr window to lose your weight then if you fall back into bad habits there isnt anything that can be tweaked. You are pretty much on your own. OK I really didnt mean to go off on a tangent but I think you get the point. This isnt the easy way out.

True. I was told today by the doctor that the band wont even last 20 years inside a body and it will have to be replaced. And it takes about 3 years to lose all excess body weight. And I recevied the very strong impression that when the band comes out you regain all the weight. So does anyone out there know of anyone who had the band removed who has or hasn't gained the weight back. Also if I was not commited to changing my life style, it would be completly stupid to waste money and have this surgery.

My doctor has done over 4000 and says it is made out of the same stuff that surgical implants are made of, silicone and something else. They don't have to replace there stuff too often, like heart valves, knees, etc. I would be happy to replace it in 10-20 years if I had too.

For the first time, I was a slave to food and my appetite/obession with food/dieting and now I am FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

True. I was told today by the doctor that the band wont even last 20 years inside a body and it will have to be replaced. And it takes about 3 years to lose all excess body weight. And I recevied the very strong impression that when the band comes out you regain all the weight. So does anyone out there know of anyone who had the band removed who has or hasn't gained the weight back. Also if I was not commited to changing my life style, it would be completly stupid to waste money and have this surgery.

Kmarie, I think the doctor is wrong. The band should easily last a lifetime. Some problems *can* occur that necessitate it's removal, but those are relatively rare.

As for committing to a lifestyle change...yes, you should do that if you're going to get banded, but the band HELPS with that change. It's not anything like trying to do without the band. I could never lose more than 30 lbs at a time pre-band. I've been banded almost a year and I've lost 82 lbs...wanted to lose 83 my first year. I need to lose 10-20 lbs to be at my final goal...so no, it doesn't always take 3 years to get to goal, either.

Cindy

I am so happy to have my lapband. I am down around 37 lbs since June . I'm considered a slow loser at 1 lb per week. But I am super happy with not being hungry and slave to food. You can gain weight back but you just have to make sure you are at optimal fill level. That helps you restrict your calories. I think gastric bipass patients have more weight gain long term. That is what I have read anyways. Hope this information helps you. I cannot live without my band now. I love it.

No regrets, but I will agree that it's not as easy as people would think. You do have to make an effort but your band helps you feel full, making it easier.

It was worth it.

I damn well hope my lapband lasts my lifetime! That's what my Dr told me. I don't want to have to have to switched out every 10 years! I guess only time will tell!

Just research this site. Ask lots of questions. I've been banded since nov. o6. I don't regret it. Also know that it is a slow process 1 to 2 lbs a week. But I feel its the healthy weight loss surgery out there. Good luck and remember LBT has lots of support here. :o

Best thing I ever did, its worked really well for me. I have had to work with it, but I wanted to change my lifetyle and it helped me to do that.

One thing I will point out - a lot of general practioners have sketchy knowledge of the lapband at best, so do your own research, make up your own mind and dont be discouraged by her views on it. The only person to really advise you is the surgeon. My GP was supportive and thought it was a good idea, had to look up bariatric surgeons to find one to refer me to. When I went back a year later for a renewed referral (necessary after 12 months in Australia) he asked me if it was time to have it removed! I was a little floored, to say the least, how could he have been so supportive if he knew so little?