Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting the journey...

Hi :) I'm Shauna and I just had my first visit with Dr Williams at Vanderbilt Medical Center last week.... Looks like my insurance allows a 90 day pathway to surgery so I'm looking at getting my surgery probably in December, hopefully, if the surgeon isn't too booked up. Anyway, I'm really nervous. One minute I'm like "let's do this!" and the next minute I'm like "I can't do this! What am I thinking???" So those who have had the surgery, do you regret it? Any complications? What can I expect? I'm 5'9" and 299 lbs, 37 years old. I have a 2 year old and I'm basically doing this for him, so I can be around to see him grown up. I appreciate any feedback! Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

Welcome.. I am still pre-op.. so for the complications and regret I can't answer those fully. I can speak to the regret piece a little.. this was the hardest but yet best descion I have made for myself ever. I don't regret any of it.. I have jumped through hoop after hoop to get where I am at today. But I never gave up and became ok with the status quo.. I too am doing this for my children.. I don't think that it's fair of me to continue to live the way that I was. This process has opened a lot of doors for me as well as shut a few.. ones that I never thought that I had the strength to. There is LOTS of information on this site and the people are super friendly.. hope all goes well for you!

Hi Shauna,

Still in the pre-op stage myself. I see you are a fellow TN gal :) I understand what you're going through. I go from thinking, man, this is the best decision ever to what the heck am I thinking? lol I'm looking at going to Centennial - insurance won't cover it so I have to go self pay. I have my consult on Sept 9 so I'll be asking about possible surgery dates and the first time I would look at is December (and that's if I can come up with a good chunk of the $$$ before then).

Let me know if you need someone to talk to or just to obsess over things with lol

Melissa

Thanks you guys! I appreciate it :)

Hi :) I'm Shauna and I just had my first visit with Dr Williams at Vanderbilt Medical Center last week.... Looks like my insurance allows a 90 day pathway to surgery so I'm looking at getting my surgery probably in December, hopefully, if the surgeon isn't too booked up. Anyway, I'm really nervous. One minute I'm like "let's do this!" and the next minute I'm like "I can't do this! What am I thinking???" So those who have had the surgery, do you regret it? Any complications? What can I expect? I'm 5'9" and 299 lbs, 37 years old. I have a 2 year old and I'm basically doing this for him, so I can be around to see him grown up. I appreciate any feedback! Looking forward to getting to know you all :)

Hi Shauna! Welcome!

I'm 8 months out and could not be happier, feel better or be more certain that this was the best choice for me. I don't presume this is the optimal route for everyone.

I have been incredibly fortunate that I had a very smooth recovery and steady loss since my surgery. In my mind, I am a slow loser, but that really is just in my mind. I've been averaging about 10lbs a month since surgery. I no longer turn to food every time I'm having a bad day or weak moment. Not to say I haven't thought about it, I just don't want to derail myself. I want to suck every ouce out of this honeymoon phase for as long as I can.

It is not the easiest thing I've ever done (gaining the weight was) It took some restructuring, some patience and a lot of support from my family/friends and the good folks here at VST. They have been my greatest advocates, cheerleaders and butt kickers when called upon. I read everything I could get my hands on to prepare myself and feel I went into this fully prepared.

I agree that making the decision was probably the hardest for me. Only in the sense that I had to be honest about my needing help to finally be successful. And committing to the life-long changes I needed to make. It's never fun thinking you can't do something on your own. But I keep reminding myself that the sleeve is only a tool. I AM doing the work. I'm making the choices, I alone am accountable for my success. Boy to I feel like a motivational speaker rep. .

I decided to take this year for me.. Focus on me, my health and my commitment to this process. the first few months I purposfully avoided situations where it would be harder to stay the course. We all have those in our life that say "just one pices of cheesecake won't hurt"... Those tend to be those that can stop at one piece, in my experience. 8 months into it, I'm stronger than I thought and enjoy events /dinners out as much as I ever did.

With my choices in place, and my home stocked with those good choices, I am finding this to be the "easiest" way I have lost weight. I am lucky that I do not feel hunger, though I expect it may return and I am ready for it. I know that if I am struggling I have this forum full of those that came before me that know exactly how I am feeling and can be of tremendous help.

The restriction for me is key, I still portion my food, mostly just not to waste. I now have a blast running around with and after my young neice. Something that was much harder for me a year ago.

No regrets at all, unless you cound wishing I had done it sooner a regret. I wish you as smooth a journey as I have been fortunate to have.

Good luck!!

That is so awesome, JerseyGirl68! Thanks for sharing.... I hope to have as much success as you have :) So you have not had any sickness or problems at all?