Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalling: Anyone have issues with your thyroid?

This weekend marks 5 months since my surgery. The first four months were great. I lost 109 pounds. This past month I've gained three pounds. It's frustrating and I'm angry, because I have another 75 pounds to lose. I'm getting in my Protein and Water. I'm staying active. I'm staying under 1200 cals a day. (My surgeon wants me at 1200.) My food choices aren't always perfect, but they aren't terrible either.

I'm worried my stall might be due to my thyroid. On April 13, my thyroid level was 0.13. On July 23, it was measured as 0.12. My pcp was concerned, and he told me that my thyroid might make it difficult for me to lose weight, but he wants me to wait until Oct 24th and have my bloodwork again before he considers treating it through medication.

I don't really know much about thyroids, and my pcp didn't explain the issue too well. I've tried looking online, and apparently my levels are low, which actually causes most people to lose weight (although it causes 10% to gain)???

Has anyone else had thyroid issues? Can you give me any advice?

Usually with HYPERthyroid (overactive) you would tend to lose weight. HYPOthyroid (underactive) usually makes it harder to lose weight. I have had hypothyroid for many years, which has always been one of my problems. I am only going to be 10 weeks out this coming Monday, but compared to others, I'm losing a little more slowly. 109lbs in 4 months is amazing! That is over 20lbs a month. I am at about 27lbs in 9 weeks. Your body just could be adjusting to the fast loss and taking a break. I wouldn't necessarily contribute it to your thyroid.

Give it a little more time and see what your doctor says. Try not to get too frustrated. You didn't put 184lbs on in 6months or a year, did you? Be patient and it will happen.

That level you're reporting, it's your TSH? Or something else? if Tsh, Your thyroid is hyperactive at that range which should help weight loss. "normal" ranges are between 1-5. Anything under, is hyper, anything higher is hypo. But many, many people are symptomatic at 2 or less. I have to be close to 1 otherwise I have trouble.

Get a copy of the blood test because they also measure T3 and free T3 and those ranges are different.

That level you're reporting, it's your TSH? Or something else?

Yes, that's my TSH level. I'm looking at my most recent bloodwork now, and I don't see anything labeled T3.

All of my other bloodwork is normal.

I know stalls are normal. I've had several 2-week stalls along the way. But this month-long stall is driving me insane. I just don't understand how someone 75 lbs overweight can only consume around 1100 calories a day and gain three pounds over a month.

I wouldn't necessarily contribute it to your thyroid. Give it a little more time and see what your doctor says. Try not to get too frustrated. You didn't put 184lbs on in 6months or a year, did you? Be patient and it will happen.

Thanks. I guess I'm just worried that if it is my thyroid, I've got two more months to go before the doc wants to consider medication. I would sure hate to be stalled for an additional two months. But, I'll just keeping doing the right things and hopefully the scale will reward me soon.

Yes' date=' that's my TSH level. I'm looking at my most recent bloodwork now, and I don't see anything labeled T3.

All of my other bloodwork is normal.

I know stalls are normal. I've had several 2-week stalls along the way. But this month-long stall is driving me insane. I just don't understand how someone 75 lbs overweight can only consume around 1100 calories a day and gain three pounds over a month.[/quote']

Well realistically you can't, right? Its not possible. So it's not real weight. I know, easy for me to say. I would be frustrated too. Wish I had a great solution to offer.

I did read someone on here say there are three things you can do when you stall. Eat 100-200 calories more. Eat 100-200 calories less. Or keep doing what you are doing. And see which of those helps you. Logically that makes sense to me, but again, easy to say.

Hang in there, I got nothing useful other than a hug, but I'll gladly send you a virtual hug :)

I'll gladly send you a virtual hug :)

Thanks. I'll take it