Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-band Support

Hello,

I just got the lapband a couple of days ago. :think I am having second thougths maybe I shouldn't have gone through this but too late now.....I am experiencing pain and just the looks of the scars are very depressing but I am hoping this will all get better in time....if you experienced this as well I would love to hear from you. Another question is how often do you need to go for fills? Could someone whow has gone through this tell me more about this.:help:

You know I think most people say to themselves in the begining "I hope I made the right choice, or did I make a mistake". You just got your band and it is a big change. Give it a chance. You will grow to love it. I was scared and nervous about the changes. Just know we all have had your thoughts in some way or another. The scars at first look bad over time the only one that really looks like anything is the port scar. It's not so bad. Once you stat seeing that weight come off you will start to love your band. Everyday gets better. The pain will go away. Keep with your liquids and read up on some of the things that can help you through. For me sugar free mints or flavor ice helped me through the liquid stage. Fills come 6 weeks later and you get them until you hit your sweet spot. I got 1 at 6 weeks and the next 4 weeks later then I got two more 4-6 weeks apart. I am at my sweet spot now at 3.25 cc's. You may only need 1. We are all different. I hope you feel better soon and if need to talk about anything just pm me. Good luck and get your rest.

Hugs!!

Pain is bad - but it will pass quickly. Give it a few more days.

The largest incision is where your Port is - and that spot will hurt longer than the others. Just so you know what to expect.

Other than the port, you should start to feel more like your old self in a few more days.

"How often" depends on whether or not you have restriction to start with, whether you get it quickly, and whether your doc is aggressive or cautious with his fills. It's different for everybody. Some folks get good restriction after the first or second fill. Some don't get to the sweet spot until fill 5 or 6... Sorry I can't pin that down for you.

Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky ones that has restriction right away.

Good Luck! I am thinking good thoughts for speedy healing.

Hugs!!

Welcome to LBT madeline100! I think it is totally normal for you to feel this way right after surgery. You're in a lot of pain, your body has just gone through major surgery, you're not getting very many calories. I have to admit that it was a lot more painful than I thought it was going to be. The first three days were the hardest for me, but each day after that I felt a little better. I was feeling pretty good 2 weeks after, totally normal a month after. I did have a lack of energy for about 6 weeks after...I think your body is just adjusting to the lower calories.

I got my first fill about 6 weeks post-op and then a 2nd fill two weeks later and a 3rd two week after that. I'm just now starting to feel restiction. I have 1.7 cc in a 4 cc band.

I hope this helps! You will feel better, you just have to make it through a couple more days.

I felt the worse the 1st three days too, but it got sooooooooooooo much better. I have no pain now in any way.

I am so happy I did it!

You will feel so too, just give it about a week. Also, the anesthesia can make you feel really out of it mentally and physcially.

Audree

You will know when you need a fill a)if you are super hungry and b)if you aren't losing weight. I had my first fill at 6 weeks. I've had 5 fills since June. I'm at 3ccs in a 10cc band (which holds 4.2cc). What size band do you have. I've heard of the 4cc band not taking too many fills to hit the sweet spot. Good luck.

Thank you all for your support and kind words... it's day 4 after lapband and I am not experiencing as much pain. However I love to hear after surgery how everyone did with their liquid diet.....They put me in this liquid diet witch is really hard.... I am so hungry. I cooked for my husband and 2 kids and then I constantly have to remind myself ...oh you can't eat any of that. What is the reasoning for the liquid diet after lapband? Why not have a diet where you can eat certain foods? Is it due to the healing process or just trying to get you to loose the weight fast. :hungry:

It's so hard I have a 15month old who weighs 30 pounds and I can't pick him up due to the restrictions on lifting over 10 pounds. He is looking at me "what's going on here mom your not picking me up like you use to"... I can't wait for the two week period to end and hopefully have more strenght and variety of food.

How long do you have to wait to eat normal food?

Madeline, first, congratulations on being banded. I think you will see that you did make the right choice. The first 4 weeks are rough due to liquid stage. However, this is to allow your stomach to heal. You do not want your stomach overworking right now to allow everything to settle. Personally, my doctor had me on liquid for 4 weeks and then mushies for 2 weeks to regular food. Each doctor has a different time frame from what I have seen posted. You may want to consult with your surgeon to see what he recommends. Good luck to you and don't be discouraged. You are taking care of you and that is important especially since you need to be there for many years for your little one.

I think the liquids accomplish two things.

1) Liquids pass right on through so there is no chance at all of your pouch getting overfilled or pulling out stiches or pulling the stomach up thru the band.

2) the digestion of normal foods makes your stomach move around and creates a lot of acid. Liquids move through to the intestings without any wrenching on your incisions and there is less acid generated that might cause pain or damage.

The is the crucial time for healing - so no matter how much you might want to, resist that solid food... it can hurt you right now.

Drink as much as you need to. Don't worry about calories. If you need 3000 calories a day in Protein Shakes to stay strong - then drink them. Weight loss comes later. Healing happens now.

Hugs!