Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have anyone of filled yourself.

Filling this large whopper sized VG band can very frustrating, I might need 5-8 fills in the next 6 months, you think I should travel abroad to do it 5-8 times for proper health care.

I have seriously thought about that issue as I'm being banded in Mexico. I DO know that I'll go for my first fill back to Mexico and if I don't like the fill places around here that treat Mexican band patients, I'll head back to Mexico.

Your health is all you have. I can't imagine going through this kind of procedure and then treating myself. Hopefully your $500 a month doctor will give you "attention" if you've done something to hurt yourself. Best of luck.

Can we go back to the graph for a minute. I'm really confused. what do the millimeters have to do with it? 200 mm is ABOUT 8". What measurement is that? Thanks in advance for any help.

Can we go back to the graph for a minute. I'm really confused. what do the millimeters have to do with it? 200 mm is ABOUT 8". What measurement is that? Thanks in advance for any help.

They use metric units. Area is in square mm, meaning 200mm2 is really 2cm2, less than one inch square.

For a radius of 1cm=10mm

Area = Pi*R^2 = 3.14*(10mm)*(10mm) (approximately) =314mm2=3.14cm2

For a radius of 1,5cm=15mm

Area = Pi*R^2 = 3.14*(15mm)*(15mm) (approximately) =706mm2=7.06cm2

So look at the graph, for a VG band filled with 5cc has about 4.8 cm2 openning, whereas a 10cm band with 2cc has 3.7cm2 aproximately openning.

See also the following picture.

post-211976-13813134596776_thumb.jpg

post-211976-13813134597073_thumb.jpg

For Chickie and ousooner. Congrats for both of you for massive weight losses.

I just checked out your older posts, you never get into tecnicalities, your band brands, fills, etc. I suppose you have a good professional team who takes care of those. You do not get into much material information, they already provide with you with the best expertise. Unfortunately,Most of us do not have that luxury, I have to dig out what I need in most cases. From that point, your sentiments towards self fill is understandable. You guys are on your doctors' first page in their site.

Regards

I had a really long detailed reply typed out.

Simply;

I like to keep some things private. As for the technical stuff? I am very well informed, thank you. I know exactly what the band is about, and how fills are performed (both under fluro, and blind), after all, I have had more than one. I know what brand I have, what size, how many cc's I have, when my last fill was, how many cc's that fill was. Hell, I even know the hour and minute my band was placed. I could go on forever.

My doctor has taken very good care of me, but he is the first to say that I am responsible for my weight loss. I have at several points in my journey been 100% unfilled for various reasons, and my weight loss simply slowed down. It did not stop. That was because of the way I eat, and my exercise.

And yes, I am on my doctors front page. So what? He is prouder than a new father of me, and what I have done with my band.

You cannot make me feel bad about losing all the weight I have, or about the care I get from my doctors. You elected to have the band knowing that aftercare would be an issue. Wear it.

You elected to have the band knowing that aftercare would be an issue. Wear it.

I really did not think fillings would be an issue, till I knew I had this large VG band. With a VG band aftercare is really an issue. Just follow 'VG band only' threads, most people complain about restriction (the loss of)

I am stuck with this foreign object in my body, with the rest of life, I would better get to know basic care on my own. It is not that complicated.

I really did not think fillings would be an issue, till I knew I had this large VG band. With a VG band aftercare is really an issue. Just follow 'VG band only' threads, most people complain about restriction (the loss of)

Oh really? This research you speak of is a new thing is it? You never tried to find a fill doctor or nurse before you were banded? Any one considering banding outside their home country takes this into account pre banding. Or at least they should.

Fine do your own fills. But please DO NOT advocate self fills like you have been. By saying that it is a risk you would take makes it appear as though it really is an option. It is not.

There are some very young bandsters on this board. Take them into account when you type. As an adult you have a responsibility to set an example for them. To show them the way things are done.

And I have to admit, it is more than a little creepy, the way you search out post of people you disagree with. I guess you are trying to find something on me.. Some dirt? Something you can throw in my face? The way you did to Efeka (I hope I spelt that correctly)

Is that why you do it?

Fine do your own fills. But please DO NOT advocate self fills like you have been. By saying that it is a risk you would take makes it appear as though it really is an option. It is not.

I do not advocate anyone to self fill. I just honestly confess that I did it, I might do it again, and I am surprised, none tried it, or do not accept that they do it.

There are some very young bandsters on this board. Take them into account when you type. As an adult you have a responsibility to set an example for them. To show them the way things are done.

We live in the age of internet, remember, I do not like the idea of censorship, and I believe everyone has the right to get any information within the limits of our society.

And I have to admit, it is more than a little creepy, the way you search out post of people you disagree with. I guess you are trying to find something on me.. Some dirt? Something you can throw in my face? The way you did to Efeka (I hope I spelt that correctly)

Is that why you do it?

Chickie, you are really mean. I checked out your earlier posts because none of your signatures gives information about the band sizes, and fills amounts and dates. Most eveyone does. Three of you did not even mention in any your posts, would you care to tell us. I think it is significant information for a bandster.

Take it easy.

Sorry. I will not share the information. I am not all that comfortable sharing every single detail on line.

As for the information being significant? I do not agree.

One thing I have learned is that every band is different, every stomach is different, every weight loss journey is different. So when I had fills and how many cc's is irrelevant to anyone but me.

And why am I mean? Because I don't agree with your opinions? I don't agree that self fills are a superb idea, that anyone (even children) should be able to see anything on the net that they like? That stalker ish behaviour is kinda creepy?

But no matter what you say, filling yourself, simply because you find the travel to the doctor a hassle, and the doctor arrogant is not very intelligent.

For Chickie and ousooner. Congrats for both of you for massive weight losses.

I just checked out your older posts, you never get into tecnicalities, your band brands, fills, etc. I suppose you have a good professional team who takes care of those. You do not get into much material information, they already provide with you with the best expertise. Unfortunately,Most of us do not have that luxury, I have to dig out what I need in most cases. From that point, your sentiments towards self fill is understandable. You guys are on your doctors' first page in their site.

Regards

You make a lot of assumptions. I have disclosed what kind of band i have and recently posted my fill information. Along with Chickie, I also disagree the importance of this info as every person is different. A 5 or 7 fill amount will have a different reaction for me than from someone else, So my info is not relevent to someone else's experience. I have told you out of courtesy, but it proves nothing. I like my docotr, but I have honestly not seen him (until this last fill last week) since the day after surgery. When I have gone in, I have only seen his Assistant. Like Chickie says, if you want to risk complications doing your own fills, thats on you, but you are being extremely irresposible in advocating that other go against their doctor and against medical advise and treat themselves. I think thats where we have a problem with you. I too find it creepy that you post a link to all my previous posts. I know its public info and I have nothing to hide, but very strange for you to link it it your post.

I am stuck with this foreign object in my body, with the rest of life, I would better get to know basic care on my own. It is not that complicated.

Did you not know what kind of band you were getting before it was installed? For someone who is so big on "research" I would think you would have had all this info up front. I'm not sure where you are finding all of these "VG band only" threads as I haven't seen much of those specific threads here on LBT. Perhaps you are referring to another site?

As far as being "stuck with this foreign object" why would you choose to have this procedure done when all over the Inamed website (as you are so fond of referring to) it stresses the importance of after care and the follow up of a good surgeon? Why not have another WLS that requires no follow up?

I have to agree with ousooner and chickie.... I think it is highly IRRESPONSIBLE and DANGEROUS of you to be advocating self fills on this (or any) SUPPORT site. If you want to do your own fills fine... but don't tell other people they should do the same.

I too find it creepy that you post a link to all my previous posts. I know its public info and I have nothing to hide, but very strange for you to link it it your post.

You become irrational here, it took me a couple of minutes to see if you have mentioned in your post a VG band, there is a search facility, at the top of blue band, you probably never used, what is so personel about that?

I did not care to read any of your posts because I just looked at the threads you and Chickie wrote, nothing of interest to me , nothing of substance as far as lap band is concerned.

I do not think I can ever have an intellectual discussion with you, so for me the matter is settled.

Good luck to you all in your journey.

Dorin

You become irrational here, it took me a couple of minutes to see if you have mentioned in your post a VG band, there is a search facility, at the top of blue band, you probably never used, what is so personel about that?

I did not care to read any of your posts because I just looked at the threads you and Chickie wrote, nothing of interest to me , nothing of substance as far as lap band is concerned.

I do not think I can ever have an intellectual discussion with you, so for me the matter is settled.

Good luck to you all in your journey.

Dorin

I am sorry that you feel that my posts have no substance and that you are intellectually superior to me that we can not carry on conversation. Maybe you should find another site that deals with going against medically supervised orders and self medication with other geniouses such as yourself. Good luck to you sir.

My husband has the VG band and has lost 78 pounds. And he has Type II Diabetes, so it's harder for him. He was banded Dec of 2004 - just over 2 years ago.

He has 8cc of saline in his band and is pretty restricted. He can eat salad. He eats 2 poached eggs and one piece of toast for Breakfast every day, but not until after he's had some hot tea or they won't go down. meat can be an issue for him, but he eats chicken noodle Soup with no problem. Anything with skin or Fiber is a no-no: Beans, fruit, etc.

He has had 6 or 7 fills. Our doctor says the VG band is harder to "tweak". His first fill was 2cc's while mine (I have the smallest band) was only .5cc.

"So look at the graph, for a VG band filled with 5cc has about 4.8 cm2 openning, whereas a 10cm band with 2cc has 3.7cm2 aproximately openning."

This is true for the opening of the BAND, it says nothing about the size of the opening of the band, in addition to the stomach tissue in it. And really, you have NO IDEA how thick or thin your stomach wall is.

It's also pretty common knowledge that we really aren't supposed to feel "full" going forward, not like we did before. We are supposed to feel "satisfied" which is the feeling you describe, but then you continue to go back for more. I have had 2 fills and one unfill. My fill kept me from eating too much when I wanted to, but on some days it kept me from eating ENOUGH. So now, there are days when I can eat too much, but for the most part, I have to control that, so that on the days when I'm tighter, I'm not TOO tight.

You mentioned before how mean people were and referenced another thread where someone asked the same question. The biggest difference is that the other person did not give themselves a fill, and they did not intend to, they were asking out of curiosity (or at least, that's how I took it).

Frankly, at this point, I'm not sure you care what anyone's opinion is on the fact that you give yourself fills. Obviously no one here agrees with you that it's a good idea. None of us wish you harm, we all just are trying to make it very clear that you could hurt yourself. You mentioned your doctor being arrogant in saying that everyone gets the same thing, but then later defend him by saying he doesn't make enough money. I do think it's arrogant to treat everyone with a band the same way (which is also the problem I have with your statements regarding the graph you keep showing), however, if you become a doctor, you need to be a doctor. If you don't like what you are paid, go somewhere else and be a doctor, or don't be a doctor anymore, but don't give substandard care.

I live in the US, and I LEFT THE COUNTRY to go get my band done. The doctor that I chose has more experience than most if not all of the doctors in the US. I knew when I did this, that I would need to find care near me, or be prepared to travel again for my aftercare. More and more people are leaving the country for procedures because the care is the same (if not better) and the cost is less.

What I can tell you about doctors here, is that if I filled myself, and then went to my doctor, and he pulled out the Fluid and found MORE than what he'd put in, he's ask me for the records for where I got my additional fill. If I couldn't provide them, he'd likely drop me as a patient, because he would not want to take on the liability of a patient who does things on their own.

I think a large number of the comments you've received on this thread have been more directed toward new bandsters who might be reading it, to kind of show a consensus that most of us agree that it is a bad idea to try to do your own aftercare. I read the thread about the person who had the remote control band. She still has to go to the hospital to get her adjustments. The band patients don't get their own controller.