Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to St. Lukes...

Ok so just started getting into this...just barely make the 35 BMI. Have a lot of health problems..diabetes, hypertension, high chol. etc.....that is my main purpose for this my weight stays about 210...never really changes, but my blood sugars are out of control. I have a thousand questions. first what can and cann't u eat?? I do believe this will be covered by my insurance. I take so many medications now, and just want to stop...Cannot get to sleep now..Have restless leg syndrone and do not want to take any more meds....Do I sound like the right canidate???

Ok so just started getting into this...just barely make the 35 BMI. Have a lot of health problems..diabetes, hypertension, high chol. etc.....that is my main purpose for this my weight stays about 210...never really changes, but my blood sugars are out of control. I have a thousand questions. first what can and cann't u eat?? I do believe this will be covered by my insurance. I take so many medications now, and just want to stop...Cannot get to sleep now..Have restless leg syndrone and do not want to take any more meds....Do I sound like the right canidate???

Hi, I read this post and another on the missouri thread. You probably are a candidate for surgery. My BMI was 36. I am diabetic too. However, I was private pay. My insurance would not pay for it. So, if your insurance has certain rules than you need to check with them first. Dr. Malley did my surgery and I was wonder why you said you wouldn't go to him? I have not found anything wrong with or his office yet. In fact, you are welcome to come to a support meeting tomorrow at the their office it is for anyone. The meeting is at 10 a.m. Let me know if you are interested. It might answer a lot of your questions. I have not been to one yet, so this is a first. My surgery was about 9 weeks ago. I am down about 30 pounds. Oh and please do not go to the WLS unless you have any other doctor, but Dr. Nigro do your sugery. I work in the health field and he serious problems. Enough to get kicked out a hospital.

Malley Surgical Weight Loss Center

5820 Lamar Suite 200

Mission, KS 66202

(Our office is located on the second floor of the Brill Eye Center)

I would go to Dr. Malley.....from what I have heard he is GREAT!!!....DO not want to name names, their is another Dr. on TV in KC would not go to. It is NOT Dr. Malley sorry for the miss understanding.

Well since you named names woudl NOT GO TO DR. NIG--. for any reason....you will have problems. Cannot warn people enough.... Yes I to have worked with him

I live in Missouri but had my surgery with Dr. Hoehn at Shawnee Mission. He is fantastic, and his LB nurse is a superstar. I truly can't say enough good things about those two. They have a really good, comprehensive program (info night, coordinator/advocate who sits with you and tells you in detail exactly what happens, etc., staff psychologist, staff dietician, support groups, their own message board, etc.) and he has extremely impressive numbers. Another thing I've come to appreciate since needing an emergency unfill is that there's another WLS primary and one secondary in the same office, so you always have access to someone who knows what's going on. I actually had decided on another surgeon, and a friend of mine who had RNY with him talked me into going to his info night, just to see what I thought. It took me all of about an hour to change my mind to him. Website is www.kcbariatric.com.

As for your candidacy, you could be a candidate. You may have some push back from your insurance company because of your BMI, but it will depend on their requirements.

What can/can't you eat. For me, there's nothing I can't eat so far. There are some things I've chosen not to eat b/c it takes so much chewing to get it to where it can be swallowed, but nothing that's a no-no for me.