Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, this is my second post. I've been lurking here since February!

A little background: I am 43 years old, newly married, and mother to two teenagers. My insurance has an exclusion for WLS, so I am planning on having my surgery with Dr. Garcia in Tijuana. I feel very comfortable with my choice and feel I will be in good hands! I have not paid my deposit yet but will be doing so next month or the month after, as well as booking my airfare for my husband and I. I am planning surgery for mid-December.

Since I've been researching the sleeve, I've made some changes to prepare. I am a planner! I've been taking a multi since March. I had some bloodwork done in June, which showed that my A1c is a a little high (5.9). Everyone in my family (mother, sister, brother) is diabetic, I am trying to avoid it. Everything else except my Vitamin D came back normal. I am currently taking a mega dose to improve my Vitamin D. I also started meeting with a nutritionist about 5 weeks ago who specializes in working with WLS patients. I won't bore ya'll with the details, but I haven't lost anything. Not one ounce. This is where I struggle. I've read many accounts of people who have lost large amounts of weight several times, only to regain, thus making surgery a good option. This isn't my problem. I can't lose it to begin with. If I can't lose weight using "traditional' methods (and seriously, really doing what I'm told), will the sleeve really work for me? I am so worried that I will have surgery and it just won't work. I've been taking in 1200-1300 calories a day (sometimes I can't make 1200 - 1200 calories of clean eating is a lot of food!), lots of Water, exercise only in the last week, no bread, Cereal, Pasta, rice. Premier Protein in the a.m., very little processed carbs. I gave up dairy for a bit to see if that would help. I'm not losing inches, my clothes are not getting looser. My CW is 279. I was on synthroid for 2 years several years back, when I moved to Seattle and found a new doctor, he took me off because I was in the normal range. I was put on it years ago because I had a goiter and low energy. My nutritionist asked my doctor to put me back on it, he refuses.

Anyone that wants to chime in that as had similar experiece to mine pre-surgery, please do! I apologize for the length of my post :) Based on my history I'm trying to figure out what a realistic expectation is for me with surgery.

Thanks all!

I'm with your dr. No one should use synthroid unless it'ts absolutely needed and NEVER for weightloss. Synthroid has some serious side effects that I would never want to take chances with. Not sure what your nutritionist was thinking.. Unless you have an abnormal thyroid. Your dr knows best.

Welcome to the Seattle area and there are a lot of us around the area with a couple threads going.

You'll do great!