Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need to get this out of my system.....

My MIL went off her pain meds really quick too, and said it hurt, but was a different type of hurting. Her DD, (My SIL) who is 58 just had one of her knees replaced, because she was literally unable to walk---she was home going up and down her stairs--he home is on 4 levels---within 5 days. Amazing what they can do!

My MIL, walked really well following hers, but she still kind of tenderfooted around, very cautious. Then just over a year ago, she got tangled in the phone cord and fell---on her knees HARD. She was convinced she ruined them! She bruised the hell out of her knees, but they never hurt! Now she kneels on them, all kinds of things, we didn't realize she was afraid of ruining them!!!

Kat

Wow! I've heard that from others about the relief from pain after the surgery. Honestly before I lost some weight, I don't know how I could have gone on much longer. I can't imagine how much your mom endured for so long. Isn't it crazy sometimes what we do to ourselves out of fear.
It really is. That's one reason wny I want to go ahead and get banded now, instead of waiting. I don't want to wind up with the same problems she has, and I know it's likely if I don't do something about my weight while I still can.
P.S. I had an uncle who waited too long also. He never was able to use his knees after the surgery. He wound up in a wheelchair most of the time.
I sincerely think that if she had waited much longer, that would have been her. As it was, she couldn't stand for more than a few minutes without having to sit. She even had an episode where she had to be carted out of a restaurant on one of those things that they move lots of boxes with (the wide, flat carts) because her knees just wouldn't work when she tried to stand up. And that was at least 5-7 years before she had them replaced.

Kat: Yea! Great story about the stairs. I hardly ever go upstairs now and as we speak I have a pile of folded towels and bed linens that need to be carried up to be put away. I usually go up the stairs on all fours and come down very slowly and gingerly hanging onto the rail for dear life. Not pretty. My grand daughter thinks it's pretty funny. :tired

laurend: I'm rooting for you to get the band. I know it will help you get on the right path to a lifetime of good health. Hang in there!

Kat: Yea! Great story about the stairs. I hardly ever go upstairs now and as we speak I have a pile of folded towels and bed linens that need to be carried up to be put away. I usually go up the stairs on all fours and come down very slowly and gingerly hanging onto the rail for dear life. Not pretty. My grand daughter thinks it's pretty funny. :tired
When my step-father was in a nursing home about 15 years ago, he was on the 4th floor. I would walk up the 4 flights and then take the elevator down. Some of the nurses saw me quite often (I used to visit 2 or 3 times a week) and they asked me why? "Other people take the elevator up and walk down. Only you take the elevator down, but walk up. Why?"

Going up, there is constant pressure on the knee, but stepping down the spaces between the joints open up as the foot is lowered to the next step down and then the joints bang together as the weight is applied.

laurend: I'm rooting for you to get the band. I know it will help you get on the right path to a lifetime of good health. Hang in there!
It will not be fair if Laurend gets a band. No one deserves to be that smart and slim too.:)

I have 2 pairs of athletic shoes that have the really huge cushy supports and I gravitate to them all the time. Forget sexy...

I've been wearing nothing but Crocs since last fall and talk about ugly!!! But boy do they feel good on my feet!

Yah, I have what I call Lesbian feet - though I would never say that in front of my friends who are Lesbians! I call 'em that because I can only wear sensible shoes; no Jimmy Choos nor Manolo Blahnicks for this grrl.

My paws hover between size 10 and size 11 and are both boney and wide. I can only wear flat shoes with a wide toe box. I used to wear Doc Martens when they were in fashion.

Kat - the meniscus is what I tore, back in my sports days. I begged for the operation then because my sports were a big part of my life. I had a full ride scholarship to play, and had been recruited into the Olympic scouting league. I wasn't ready to stop playing. I went to 4 different surgeons and all refused to operate, and assured me I wouldn't find anyone willing to do it on someone my age, and on someone who was just a "hopeful" and not yet dependent on the sport as a career. Will, I never would have been a career player, so there went that.

The ligaments can sort of "stick" themselves together, but re-tearing is always a risk. My original tear was around May of 1993. It has retorn 6 times since then. Most were within the first few years. The last one was about 7 or 8 years ago. I don't have daily pain, but my knees will get "stiff". And sometimes I know I've bent wrong because there's a sharp pain. The doctors aren't sure if this is stress on the ligament, or if this is some of the "disjoined" cartilege coming loose and wedging where it shouldn't be.

It's kind of like when you have a joint that has to pop. You can feel it has to pop, but you know the pop is going to hurt... so all you can do is try to make it as gentle as possible.

Yah, I have what I call Lesbian feet - though I would never say that in front of my friends who are Lesbians! I call 'em that because I can only wear sensible shoes; no Jimmy Choos nor Manolo Blahnicks for this grrl.

My paws hover between size 10 and size 11 and are both boney and wide. I can only wear flat shoes with a wide toe box. I used to wear Doc Martens when they were in fashion.

Doc's are STILL in fashion in my crowd!

Doc's are STILL in fashion in my crowd!

Great! I still have mine.:) Where do you live? I am going to visit you and I am going to bring my Docs with me.:biggrin1: I also have workboots.

I buy DKNY athletic-inspired shoes on ebay for $20 each. They are really stylish, and they feel soooo good on my feet. I'm up to 8 pairs now, all slip ons...some leather and some other. I don't feel clunky at all in them, and I get compliments.

Betsy: Are they flats or do they have some lift at the heel? I have to have about an inch or a little higher rise in the heel, for some darned reason. Those sound cute - especially the price!

They're flats. Everything from Mary Janes to very cool casuals. But definitely flats.

If you search Ebay for womens shoes and then put in DKNY and then on the left, click on athletic-inspired, you'll see them. I also like them because they have some elastic in the top so they just plain fit.

I have a 16 y/o pair of Doc's. :paranoid

Not to mention 11 other pair. They last for freaking ever.