Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Love and hate relationship

Is it me or is anyone else starting to hate food so to say. I think that I am not enjoying food anymore because it doesn't take much before my tummy starts to ache. Even salad is a chore for me now, 2-3 forks of salad and I'm done. My 1year old eats more than I do and forget about my 3 yr old and they all take after my husband (skinny) thank God. I never want to eat the way I used to but at least there should be space for healthy stuff like salad with tuna. I still love my sleeve to death but I just eat to live.

Yes, food is not the same as it used to be. I used to love a big greek salad with grilled chicken. I have to eat the chicken first for the Protein and then there's no room for the rest. I am learning (sleeved 5/13) how to find a balance of veggies and protein, though. I've been focusing on protein instead of protein and something else at my meals, and I'm afraid I'll get scurvy (LOL) or get bored (more likely). I'm also struggling with what to make. At least I know when I cook I'll have plenty left over! (it's just me)

Is it me or is anyone else starting to hate food so to say. I think that I am not enjoying food anymore because it doesn't take much before my tummy starts to ache. Even salad is a chore for me now, 2-3 forks of salad and I'm done. My 1year old eats more than I do and forget about my 3 yr old and they all take after my husband (skinny) thank God. I never want to eat the way I used to but at least there should be space for healthy stuff like salad with tuna. I still love my sleeve to death but I just eat to live.

Hey there, Congrats on your surgery.

I know it is easy for me to say this, but it will get better. You are still early out. I'm 8 months out today and have been able to enjoy food again. I do make better choices and I"m genuinly happy that I can't overendulge. The first few months my tastes changed a bit. I did not have cravings like I used to and now, I could not be happier for it. As times goes on you will be able to consume a little more comfortably. True, some folks have long term issues, but from what you are explaining, it seems you are doing well so far.

Best of luck to you!

It is funny you say you don't get to enjoy food anymore. I actually blogged about that, saying how I had to change my relationship with food. All my life food has been used for comfort, for celebration, for company etc. I know for myself to be successful I have to see food as fuel for my body, and not much more. I am not saying there isn't going to be foods that I enjoy more than others. But what food means to me has to change. It isn't my friend. It can't fill emotional voids. It has to be viewed exactly as what it is, a fuel source to be able to live. Someday that may change, but for now it is what I need.

I feel you. More than anything I'm more annoyed with having to stop and think about my choices. Of course that is EXACTLY what I need to do.

I'm also a bit bummed that my favorite food - crab I can no longer tolerate. I literally just threw up my entire lunch (baked crab salad) because crab is a no go for me. I tried it before and got sick but figured I'd try again.

So I feel your pain. All the Vets say it will get better so I guess we just have to ride this part of the journey out.

I feel you. More than anything I'm more annoyed with having to stop and think about my choices. Of course that is EXACTLY what I need to do.

I'm also a bit bummed that my favorite food - crab I can no longer tolerate. I literally just threw up my entire lunch (baked crab salad) because crab is a no go for me. I tried it before and got sick but figured I'd try again.

So I feel your pain. All the Vets say it will get better so I guess we just have to ride this part of the journey out.

your making me nervous.... I love seafood especially crabs. I hope that will not be my issue :( good luck to you

Everyone is soooo different. I thought for sure I'd have a problem with "heavier" meats but nope, crabs. I love them so much I'm just going to have to have my mourning period over it.

I do plan to try other things I don't eat that often and see if maybe one of those can be my low carb Protein staple. I still have turkey at least. Plus, I tried blue crabs. Maybe another kind will not have this effect on me.

Either way, I'm going to wait a bit. It is not sexy to throw up in the bathroom out in public. So I'll try another kind in a few months...at home!

Today is my 1st day of soft food (was on liquids for 4 weeks) and I thought I'd be really excited. The THOUGHT of food appeals to me, I've been talking about what my first meal was gunna be for weeks. When it came time to eat my egg salad this morning, I was hesitant. In addition to be scared of popping my staple line, food looks icky to me. I managed to get it down in about 20 mins (maybe 2 TB). didn't taste like I thought it would tho.

Looking forward to the day when food tastes a little better. Now I'm definitely eating to live, no longer living to eat!

Good luck!

your making me nervous.... I love seafood especially crabs. I hope that will not be my issue :( good luck to you

I agree, everyone is different, a good reason to read as many posts as you can for questions you have. I enjoy crab with no issue at all. All seafood is a go-to at the moment. Try not to fret about things you can't control. Good luck!

I understand how you all who are advancing through the first stages may feel. I'm happy to say that at 5 months, I seeing that it gets easier each day. Now I use food for fuel.

My relationship with food has changed. I still recall many birthday and celebratory gatherings that for me brought almost a chemical feel good feeling.

Learning to live without that attachment. Especially birthday Cakes, OMG!

I had a personal Baker, for me and my kids.

Except, I would end up eating most of the cakes!

Happy to report, that these few months of Major changes with hard work is paying off!

It was harder in the beginning and a way of life

Now. Not a day goes by at work that i don't get many compliments! Yay, im very happy with 68lbs down from a size 24 to a size 12/14. Yay

Be encouraged we can do this!