Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hysterectomy Jan. 30th, advice needed.

I am having a hyst. on 1/30. I am having the band deflated on the 25th. I have to drive 3 hrs. away for this as the surgeons in my town have only recently started doing the band and have done 50 of them per their nurse. She was not too friendly when I told her I had it done in Mexico. (I am from Michigan.)

My biggest concern is any complications with the tubing or port during surgery. I am having a traditional "open" surgery as I am not a good candidate for laparoscopic or vaginal due to a very large fibroid and uterus. Anyone out there have a similar story??

Thanks for helping.

Cheryl

PS I am not a goat weight, have another 30-40 lbs to go but I am still considering a Tummy Tuck with the hysterectomy and I am torn on whether to wait until another time when I am closer to goal but that means a second surgery. Any thoughts?:phanvan

Well I did mine the other way around---had the hysterectomy then the band. Have you discussed the band with your gyno? That seems like the first step. Where abouts is your port? My port is fairly high, and my hysterectomy scar is low, across at the base of my belly, just above my pubic bone----nowhere near where the port/tubing/band would be affected.

As for the Tummy Tuck during the hysterectomy, if he would do it, I would jump on it!!! If he doesn't do it, you will end up having it later. Which would be 2 surgeries, if it is still tight when you get to goal, then this way you saved yourself the 2nd surgery, if not, you can have it revised then, and you have lost nothing!

I was still at my heaviest when I had my hysterectomy---I only wish I had done it to where I could have some of this belly removed!!!

Sounds like it is time to talk to the Doc!!! I can o nly imagine how much easier it would be to heal without the weight of that on the incision....good luck to you. I love my band---and I love the hysterectomy just as much I think!!!!

Kat

I am having a hyst. on 1/30. I am having the band deflated on the 25th. I have to drive 3 hrs. away for this as the surgeons in my town have only recently started doing the band and have done 50 of them per their nurse. She was not too friendly when I told her I had it done in Mexico. (I am from Michigan.)

My biggest concern is any complications with the tubing or port during surgery. I am having a traditional "open" surgery as I am not a good candidate for laparoscopic or vaginal due to a very large fibroid and uterus. Anyone out there have a similar story??

Thanks for helping.

Cheryl

PS I am not a goat weight, have another 30-40 lbs to go but I am still considering a Tummy Tuck with the hysterectomy and I am torn on whether to wait until another time when I am closer to goal but that means a second surgery. Any thoughts?:phanvan

What a small world, I am having my hysto on 1/18/07 and have the same concerns as you. My surgeon said it should be fine. I am sure you will be fine. We just need to keep our chins high.

Good luck,

Madden

I had my hysterectomy prior to my band. I cant imagine that it would even be a problem. My hysterectomy was open. They incisions are MILES apart. The Hysterectomy incision is 12-14 inches across the lowest portion of the abdomen where your hips connect to your legs. Below any bikini line I WILL ever wear!! I would do BOTH again!!!

Good Luck!! I was home in 48 hours and not as much pain as I expected.

I went back to work the middle of the 3rd week. My office nurses did all the work of lifting and holding down my pedi patients but... If at all possible take at LEAST4-5 weeks off!!!