Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird philosophical thinking?

Went to my phychiatrist yesterday and had a question for him: The last week or so I've been having really weird "deep" thoughts (like who was the first man to take a shower? What made him think 1 was necessary? How did he figure out Water would work? Where does the word shower come from? Who thought of the english language?) On and on and on. Silly stuff like that. It's constant, almost to the point of staying awake most of the nite being bothered.

This is what he said: "There's still so much out there that we don't know about hormones and the way if affects the neurotransmitters in your brain. It could be a side effect of lack of nutrition, anesthesia, loss of Ghrelin or just something that't normally occurring in your brain. Go onto that support site you were talking about and see if anyone else has this also"

His advice? laugh it off. Sometimes I feel like in just an hour I'm gunna have to be transported to the loony bin.

Just to verify, I'm the only one that thinks like this, right?

I have thoughts like that all the time and I haven't had the surgery yet. Will it be worse after surgery? Lol

after I came home from the surgery I watched American Pickers and they showed a picture of jumbo the elephant that dies in the 50 because it was hit by a train....

I could not get it out of my head...i would break down in tears and ask my husband all kinds of questions about him..Like why didn't they just wait until the train past them before leading him out there....Why didn't the train see him...for Pete's sake he was the biggest Elephant at the time...

My Husband kept asking me if I was okay...I did not know why I was obsessed with this particular situation but it took weeks for me to go through a day without thinking about what happened to Jumbo!

Weird eh!!!!!

Hmmm......"right this way boys,"......."she's in there"......."careful, she might think your an elephant or possibly a train".......... :unsure:

Nope.... I can't say I've every had any of those thoughts... at least that's what the voices in my head tell me

Went to my phychiatrist yesterday and had a question for him: The last week or so I've been having really weird "deep" thoughts (like who was the first man to take a shower? What made him think 1 was necessary? How did he figure out Water would work? Where does the word shower come from? Who thought of the english language?) On and on and on. Silly stuff like that. It's constant' date=' almost to the point of staying awake most of the nite being bothered.

This is what he said: "There's still so much out there that we don't know about hormones and the way if affects the neurotransmitters in your brain. It could be a side effect of lack of nutrition, anesthesia, loss of Ghrelin or just something that't normally occurring in your brain. Go onto that support site you were talking about and see if anyone else has this also"

His advice? laugh it off. Sometimes I feel like in just an hour I'm gunna have to be transported to the loony bin.

Just to verify, I'm the only one that thinks like this, right?[/quote']

I have absolutely NO scientific evidence for what I am about to say but here's a thought. My brain works overtime all the time. I mean all the time like this. I have trouble sleeping, I talk go myself sometimes without realizing etc.

Only times it stops is when I'm asleep, or ahem..."otherwise distracted" :)

And when I'm sick. Then I can't think well.

Is it possible you had brain fog from eating sugar, carbs, gluten, what have you before pre-op and surgery? And that maybe this is NORMAL as your brain returns to peak functioning not that you're eating clean?

after I came home from the surgery I watched American Pickers and they showed a picture of jumbo the elephant that dies in the 50 because it was hit by a train....

I could not get it out of my head...i would break down in tears and ask my husband all kinds of questions about him..Like why didn't they just wait until the train past them before leading him out there....Why didn't the train see him...for Pete's sake he was the biggest Elephant at the time...

My Husband kept asking me if I was okay...I did not know why I was obsessed with this particular situation but it took weeks for me to go through a day without thinking about what happened to Jumbo!

Weird eh!!!!!

I can relate. I always am concerned about the plight of children in the world. But when I can't stop thinking about them, and I start crying over them, and I worry about them constantly is when I know I need to get on happy pills for a while :P

Hmmm......"right this way boys,"......."she's in there"......."careful, she might think your an elephant or possibly a train".......... :unsure:

Thanks I feel so much better now.....Look I went through hell for this surgery...had 10 surgeries and almost died. Spent 5 months in the hospital and kept it together...I was also in a coma for 19 days...And a coma messes with your head....So..I had one thing that I obsessed about...Not bad considering the horror I endured for this!

Thanks I feel so much better now.....Look I went through hell for this surgery...had 10 surgeries and almost died. Spent 5 months in the hospital and kept it together...I was also in a coma for 19 days...And a coma messes with your head....So..I had one thing that I obsessed about...Not bad considering the horror I endured for this!

Not bad? Fricking amazing!

Wow, really.....I guess the coma messes with sense of humor too. What did you expect. All of the professional shrinks on here were gonna agree with your take on your little obsession and that would be the answer. If a little humor doesn't help lighten the mood .......then I'm out.. Too many hormones for me. You get the award for "most endured" from surgery. Good luck with your recovery.

I believe an over abundance of food dulls the thinking. I have had times when I had nothing but Water for days. When I wasn't thinking about cheeseburgers my thought was clear and lucid.

Since my surgery my energy has improved immensely and I think my brain functions better. I have been working off my new found mental energy at this forum and other places online, writing a lot, and talking the legs off of my family and friends. New enthusiasm for life and better firing of electrical impulses in the brain makes for a hunger for communication and creativity.

Marfar7, you are looking at things in a new way and considering things that passed by you before. Sounds like a fresh brain to me. :)