Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone!! I am new to this forum and this is the first one I have ever been on. I am quite shy, but I am starting a new journey, leading me to a new life. I came upon this forum while researching about the gastric sleeve surgery. I had originally planned on getting the lap band, but after reading and researching more about it, I decided on the sleeve instead. I had my first visit on July 15th 2013 and the surgeon also recommended the sleeve for me. I am excited that I have been approved and my surgery date is August 13th 2013!! I am also very nervous! Today is my first day of my one week high Protein full liquid diet. I guess I should tell you all just a little about myself. I am 21 years old, but I will be 22 in a couple weeks. I am 5'3 and 243 lbs as of today, my starting weight was the same. I am a full time student planning on going to nursing school to be an RN. I want to be healthy and active! I babysit a lot and currently have a nephew on the way and want to be able to play with them without getting tired and winded. I have struggled since childhood (about 8 years old) with my weight and have been overweight and never been able to lose more than 20-30lbs at a time. I was hoping anyone that has already gone through this journey or going through this journey will let me know how it went and how it is going. I would like to get to know as many people as I can and hope we can all encourage one another!! Sorry for rambling and thank you for taking the time to read this!

Shelby. :)

Congrats on starting ur new healthier life!!! I was sleeved on 3rd June so it's 9 weeks ago. This is a great place for info and for support. If u have any questions just ask as we are all at different stages and are willing to help

Cheers

Bec!

Thank you so much!! I do have a question about pre op diet, did you have one? I am on the high Protein full liquid diet and I am still not sure what all I am allowed to have on this diet.

Shelby. :)

Every surgeon has a different pre-op diet, so you really need to talk to him/her about what is allowed on your pre-op regime. For instance, my surgeon had me on a strict low-carb diet to shrink my liver for two weeks prior and then Clear Liquids two days before surgery. I was given very strict guidelines on what I could and could not eat and I followed it exactly because I wanted the best results.

Yep every surgeon is different. I was on a 2 week Optifast diet. I had 2 shakes a day and 1 very low carb meal. Plus I could have a much chicken broth as I wanted. It'll be good to speak to ur doctor though just to check

Thank you I will be sure to give my surgeon a call!! They told me liquids and I can have sugar free Jello and Soups that don't have any chunks, I also need to drink Protein shakes and aim for 80 gm Protein a day. But I think I will give them another call. I just don't want to mess up.

Shelby.

Time for an update. I am 4 almost 5 weeks post op and needing help and advise!! I now weight 225 and I have been stuck for a good week or two at this weight and feeling very discouraged! I am having a very hard time with Fluid intake and I am not getting my Proteins in. I can't tolerate Protein Drinks or anything like that. I am tryin to get my Water and liquids in but it is really hard. I am tired all the time so I don't even want to walk and I know I need water and Protein but I don't even get half of what I need in a day. Help please I don't know what to do!!

Hi Shelby, thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. Don't worry too much about the pounds yet. You just had major surgery and the hospital gave you lots of fluids, so your weight will not be true yet. I had a hard time with intake for a good month before my internal swelling went down enough to get in the required Fluid intake. Keep sipping your fluids and try to get moving as much as possible. Start with short walks every hour or two and increase. Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi Shelby, I was sleeved on August 7th so I am between 4 & 5 weeks as well. My dietician has me on moist solids and I am to try to get a litre of Fluid in. She does not want me to worry too much about counting stuff yet. But I do fill in MFP so that I will get in the habit for the future. I find it difficult to get Water down without it feeling like swallowing lumpy stuff. I have a dog who demands walks and I have a push bike which I have been out on twice. I am still going to bed early and exhausted. Still have some not so good days. But all in all life with the sleeve is improving daily.