Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op NSV: Resisting Temptation at Disneyland!

I just had to share the MAJOR pre-op NSV I accomplished this weekend! For the record, I'm having my surgery in exactly 2 weeks (8/19) and am starting my full liquid pre-op diet tomorrow. About a week and a half ago I watched a great food documentary (it's call "Hungry for Change" and is available on Netflix streaming, highly recommended!) and something just clicked. I decided to change everything, right then. I put on my shoes and went for a several-mile walk that night after watching it, and have been dedicated to eating healthy, no snacking, lots of Water & Protein, and daily exercise. Even bought a juicer and am making fresh green juice in the morning for myself for breakfast!

Fast forward to this past weekend: I had planned a trip to Disneyland several months back as a "last hurrah" before surgery. Disneyland is my most favorite place ever. I go about every other month. Of course, one of the things I love most about the park is the FOOD. I would plan my whole vacation around what I "had" to eat. I am a huge sugar fanatic, so usually this was churros, ice cream, candy, etc...although my meal choices were also decidedly unhealthy. I was EXTREMELY anxious about this trip because I had committed to my lifestyle change and this was like going into the belly of the beast! I met with my therapist before my trip and we created a mantra for me whenever I was feeling anxious at the park: "Disneyland is still fun without food."

Anyway, here I am, sitting in the airport ready to fly home—and I am so proud to say that I didn't have so much as a SINGLE BITE of sweets or treats this WHOLE trip!! I brought Protein Bars & shakes with me and treated myself to one healthy meal in the parks per day (had some pretty amazing salads!) I didn't snack at all in between and drank lots of water. I am really proud of myself, and this was not easy by any means! However, it was all worth it knowing that I have given myself the confidence to enter into the pre-op diet...if I can survive without any cheating at my favorite place, I know that I have no excuse to cheat while at home. :)

Just wanted to share, and for all of my fellow pre-ops, I promise you that if you start developing these kinds of healthy habits & challenging yourself to make permanent changes before surgery, it will be a tremendous confidence booster and constant reminder that YOU CAN DO THIS! :)

Have a great day, everyone!

Awesome...your post-op self will thank you for it!

decided to change everything - . went for a several-mile walk - eating healthy, no snacking, lots of Water & Protein, and exercise

stacechase

congrats on the first of many NSV's

good for you - prepping for your new sleeved life :)

exercise, eating right, even a juicer!!! :o

wow - you are ready for WLS!!!

continue with this great attitude!!!! :)

you are aces!!!!

keep up the great job today, tomorrow and for the rest of your longer, healthier, happier sleeved life

good luck on august 19th :)

speedy recovery :)

kathy

stacechase

congrats on the first of many NSV's

good for you - prepping for your new sleeved life :)

exercise' date=' eating right, even a juicer!!! :o

wow - you are ready for WLS!!!

continue with this great attitude!!!! :)

you are aces!!!!

keep up the great job today, tomorrow and for the rest of your longer, healthier, happier sleeved life

good luck on august 19th :)

speedy recovery :)

kathy[/quote']

Thank you so much, Grammy! :) You are always "aces" at giving such wonderful positive feedback and encouragement. It is greatly appreciated! <3

No way I would be able to pass up the Mickey shaped beignets at the Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square! They are my favorite food in the whole world and at 147 calories a piece, well worth the splurge. Congratulations for avoiding temptation!

No way I would be able to pass up the Mickey shaped beignets at the Mint Julep Bar in New Orleans Square! They are my favorite food in the whole world and at 147 calories a piece' date=' well worth the splurge. Congratulations for avoiding temptation![/quote']

Thanks so much! It was SO HARD not getting any treats at all! Sounds like you completely understand the lure of Disney chow! LOL!

Awesome...your post-op self will thank you for it!

Thank you so much! I hope so! :)

First of all super jealous you get to go to Disney every other month.. Secondly.. GREAT job.. It's so hard to resist temptation.. And you did it girl.. Way to go!

First of all super jealous you get to go to Disney every other month.. Secondly.. GREAT job.. It's so hard to resist temptation.. And you did it girl.. Way to go!

Thank so much, lady! I know, I'm VERY lucky! My Annual Pass absolutely pays for itself since I go so often. Avoiding all of the yummy treats was hard...especially since everything SMELLS so good and it wafts everywhere, haha...but I'm proud that I was able to do it! I started my liquid diet this morning and it's nice to go into it with that increased confidence. :)