Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Giving up sugar, soda, smokes, cocktails - all at once? I'm scared!

First, I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum. I've posted questions and gotten such great answers. This one really isn't a question as much as a "How the heck are we going to do this." As surgery gets closer, I start realizing that this isn't just about a new way of approaching food. I'm taking a HUGE step in every area of unhealthy behavior. All my favorite vices -- sugar fixes, cigarettes, martinis/cocktails. Am I crazy? For others who have walked this "road less traveled," was it a bigger deal than you thought or less of a big deal. (I should also say that OBVIOUSLY I should have been preparing for this more slowly by giving these things up slowly as I worked up to surgery, but here I am 3 weeks out!). I guess a new way of life is just that... a totally new way of life. God help me. Seriously.

Lol...look at how your topic title got shortened on my phone...good thing for the ellipsis :-)

post-56425-13813668511176_thumb.jpg

THAT IS AWESOME! I really, really needed a laugh!

I was going to respond and tell you not to be so hasty in your decision ;-)

Lol...look at how your topic title got shortened on my phone...good thing for the ellipsis :-)

I saw the same thing!!! Lol

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! Wow, I needed a good belly laugh...thanks, jensjoy28! ;) Vsginkc, I felt just like you do. My surgery date was June 19th. I stopped smoking back in March, then cut out sodas & a significant amount of carbs in April, & then even more carbs & caffeine & most alcohol in May. I knew if I waited until right before surgery, I would HATE having to give up everything all at the same time...and I knew that I would probably fail. There was no way I was going to jump through all these damn hoops & not give myself the best chance I could to be successful. Today, at a little over 6 weeks out, I feel great. I've lost 44 lbs so far, I'm exercising, not smoking, eating real food that is well prepared, and although I've had a very small amount of wine twice, I'm certainly not having a cocktail every day. Even if you have waited til the end to start giving the other stuff up, it CAN be done, and it will help you to feel so much better postop, which makes it harder to go back to our old ways later. Good luck to you! :)

My husband & I are rolling!!! Thanks for the giggle. Giving up cock would definitely be the hardest. All joking aside, I struggled pre-op with smoking, liquor & sweets. I literally gave then up a day or two before surgery & I haven't smoked a real cigarette since. Drinking is a trigger for me to start smoking so I had a few puffs of my hubbies ecig the night we had drinks with friends. I had a Bloody Mary & it took me 2 hours to finish it. Surgery was like a rebirth for me I guess. There's no way I'm gonna screw this up. Working out & eating right are my new addictions. Good luck! For the love of God though, NEVER give up cock...........tails. Teehee.

You guys are the best! Besides the laugh, I was really wanting someone to say, "I did this and so can you." I really feel in my heart of hearts that a big change is a big change and if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear. Thanks for the laughs and the encouragement! Smoke stop date is tomorrow and I'm starting on 2 meal a day liquid diet just to practice this week. P.S. I'm NEVER giving up COCK....tails.

First' date=' I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum. I've posted questions and gotten such great answers. This one really isn't a question as much as a "How the heck are we going to do this." As surgery gets closer, I start realizing that this isn't just about a new way of approaching food. I'm taking a HUGE step in every area of unhealthy behavior. All my favorite vices -- sugar fixes, cigarettes, martinis/cocktails. Am I crazy? For others who have walked this "road less traveled," was it a bigger deal than you thought or less of a big deal. (I should also say that OBVIOUSLY I should have been preparing for this more slowly by giving these things up slowly as I worked up to surgery, but here I am 3 weeks out!). I guess a new way of life is just that... a totally new way of life. God help me. Seriously.[/quote']

LMAO. I needed that laugh. I've done we'll with everything but smoking. I started back smoking ;(. I hate that I wasn't strong enough to drop it all at once. Now that I'm done with graduate school maybe the relief of stress will help me. Also I'm 5 weeks post op and released to full exercise next week. The increase in working out should help me as well. This journey is something else, but at least "cock" is no where on the "avoid" list lol.