Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read a lot of postings on this site, some that excite me, some that scare me and some that make me want to cry. I am still debating getting this procedure but needed more input from anyone that has been there. My Husband is not keen on the idea and my kids are pretty neutral and as you can tell I am still on the fence looking for answers.

I am looking for the good, the bad and the ugly from anyone that wants to share.

Thanks

Bebopp40:help:

I have no bad and no ugly. Only Great! The best thing I could've done. It is life altering and the decision shouldn't be taken lightly. You will have to change your eating habits but to know that there's something out there that can help you is truly a gift. Keep asking questions, and remember, if you chose to do it, you're doing it for yourself, not others. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I made the decision and was banded in June. I've lost about 35 lbs so far. I am considered a slow loser at 1 lb a week. Probably because I haven't given up alcohol. Just know that the band is simply a tool. You can eat around it and if you don't exercise your weight loss is much slower. I do love my band but I have to constantly remind myself of that because it can be frustrating when you don't feel restriction like you should (don't have enough fill) and don't lose. There is the bad point of that and it does happen. If I were to do thing differently I probably would have paid more attention to how much food I was intaking early on. I seem to be up and down on the scale and its not fun. Best of luck to you with your decision.

Hi BeBopp.

If you aren't SURE, you probably should keep thinking about this. The band is wonderful, fabulous and incredible - however, it will only work if you are committed to working with it.

For instance - the band keeps me from wolfing my food - but so far it hasn't stopped me from eating any particular food. Some folks can't eat bread, or french fries - but I can still eat it all.

Can I eat a LOT of anything? You know, if I eat slowly enough and really concentrate, I CAN actually eat a pretty good amount of food. But notice that I have to concentrate and work at eating too much. Who the heck does that?

Plus - after over 10 mos of eating much less - my idea of what A LOT means has changed significantly. A LOT of pizza used to mean 4-5 slices of pan/deep dish pie. Now, A LOT of pizza means 2 slices of thin crust.

When I am good, the band helps me be VERY VERY good. When I am bad, the band keeps me from being Horrid.

I live a pretty normal life, and eat pretty normal foods. When I do that, I don't lose much and I don't lose fast... but I do actually keep losing.

When I focus on eating better, when I drag myself into the gym, I lose faster.

So, I get to live a VERY normal life. I don't have to obsess every moment of every day to lose the weight. (Been there, done that!) I don't have to eat only parsley & pine nuts for 3 meals a day. I don't have to buy tasteless pre-packaged foods that I hate. I don't have to go to meetings everyweek and get harrangued if I haven't lost weight.

All I have to do is eat Protein first, then veggies, then carbs if there is room... Drink as much Water as I can stand... and chew my food REALLY well. That's it.

Nobody even notices that I am on any particular plan. I get to join in on company lunches and parties. If I want a cookie - I CAN have one without dire physical consequences.

And still, I lose a few pounds a month. More if I am eating right and exercising. What more could anyone ask?

As to Why you need to be SURE - The band won't stop chocolate. I have to consciously choose not to bathe in the stuff every day. Cause then I really wouldn't lose any weight.

The band cannot stop Starbucks. God, I love those Carmel Macchiatos - but 400-500 calories at a whack does NOT help the weightloss process.

I still have to choose when and if I will eat real ice cream, pudding or candy. I know that if I eat those things all the time, I will be right back where I was before. So, I choose to work with my band every time I eat lean chicken instead of chips and Queso.

Be SURE before you get this done. It is surgery, there is healing involved and the pre-op and post-op liquid diet stuff sucks.

If you can handle all of the above - if you are really ready to lose the weight and keep it off - then I think the band can work for you... or for anybody.

Good luck in your deliberating.

I would say no unless your bmi is very big and you have other health issues - I would also say find a good U.S. doc that offers aftercare - group support, individual support, diet and nutrition help, etc. While I loved my surgeon he does no aftercare excpet fills and even then I was never asked how much weight I had or had not lost - just filled.