Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Controversial - The evaluation of before and after. Healthier by definition, but does everyone who is VSG'd really 'look' better?

About 2 weeks before my surgery I started kind of freaking out thinking what happens if I'm ugly afterwards??? I don't think I'm ugly now and my friends and family assured me that I wouldn't be. Hope they weren't just being nice

I'm sure they're not. Family tend to give it to you straight.. Its the friends or should I say 'acquaintances' that sometimes don't. I don't think I'm concerned about being 'ugly' per se. More about looking like walking death. Consequently, part of the motivator behind this forum post was whether other people, too, recognise that not everyone looks so well after this surgery?

I see many bypass patients that look gaunt and have a really bad pallor in my surgeon's support group. I can't be certain but I think the malabsorption does it to them. This was one of the reasons I went with the sleeve. I also think what I eat makes a difference. I count Protein and carbs but not fat. I eat healthy fats like nuts and avocado. My skins glows and I look way better now than when I weighed 250 lbs!

I'll chime in and add (after laughing at the spelling, pretty princess upgrade and ugly troll posts) that the issues you're bringing up all fade in the second year post op.

hair grows back. Skin rebounds and isn't as saggy. Sunken faces fill out. Fat redistributes and flat butts and chests fill in a bit more.

Jacked up teeth are jacked up teeth and nothing but the dentist is going to help that out. In fairness, I see FAR less of this in sleeve patients than bypass ones. If you eat a healthy and balanced diet and don't suck on lemons, you're probably going to be okay here. And it's true, surgeons don't give an upgrade on your appearance post op.

The people that look worn out? They're not eating properly in most cases and are unwilling to supplement with shakes and get their Vitamins in. They don't drink Water and moisturize and their skin starts to show their age. Fat people don't age as quickly, I swear. Round, shiny faces just look young longer. In any case, when people are so focused on eating exactly 22 carbs a day while consuming zero fat, don't drink their Protein or Water, don't exercise and don't take Vitamins, their looks suffer as a result.

The change in my appearance and energy levels 18+ months post op, and once I had adequate nutritional supplements (B12 and Iron, in particular) was, well...immense. I went from looking and feeling tired and worn out to having people tell me "I don't look like I was ever obese." Whatever that means...

~Cheri

The change in my appearance and energy levels 18+ months post op, and once I had adequate nutritional supplements (B12 and Iron, in particular) was, well...immense. I went from looking and feeling tired and worn out to having people tell me "I don't look like I was ever obese." Whatever that means...

~Cheri

That's really interesting actually, because the people I've met in the flesh, the bypass patients, I hate to say it, looked awful. The VSG 1 year + post op looked better (to varying degrees) And yes, a couple of them did look like they were never meant to be big. They showed me their before photos and it was quite bizarre. They looked like different human beings - literally. I hope I'm blessed to be one of those people. Really...

I'll chime in and add (after laughing at the spelling' date=' pretty princess upgrade and ugly troll posts) that the issues you're bringing up all fade in the second year post op.

hair grows back. Skin rebounds and isn't as saggy. Sunken faces fill out. Fat redistributes and flat butts and chests fill in a bit more.

Jacked up teeth are jacked up teeth and nothing but the dentist is going to help that out. In fairness, I see FAR less of this in sleeve patients than bypass ones. If you eat a healthy and balanced diet and don't suck on lemons, you're probably going to be okay here. And it's true, surgeons don't give an upgrade on your appearance post op.

The people that look worn out? They're not eating properly in most cases and are unwilling to supplement with shakes and get their Vitamins in. They don't drink Water and moisturize and their skin starts to show their age. Fat people don't age as quickly, I swear. Round, shiny faces just look young longer. In any case, when people are so focused on eating exactly 22 carbs a day while consuming zero fat, don't drink their Protein or Water, don't exercise and don't take Vitamins, their looks suffer as a result.

~Cheri[/quote']

Cher!!!

Perfect, Madam R. Is looking for a buddy. This person must command the English language,

Commit no spelling errors and have a witty sense of humor!

You, my dear, possess these elusive to the VST qualities!

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/89642-anyone-want-to-be-my-friend-2nd-sept-d-day/#entry935144

That's really interesting actually, because the people I've met in the flesh, the bypass patients, I hate to say it, looked awful. The VSG 1 year + post op looked better (to varying degrees) And yes, a couple of them did look like they were never meant to be big. They showed me their before photos and it was quite bizarre. They looked like different human beings - literally. I hope I'm blessed to be one of those people. Really...

Oh, indeed the bypass patients get the worst of it, mostly due to malabsorption and very rapid loss, I'd wager. I know someone in person that dropped a HUGE amount of weight in one year and while I'm glad she's lost weight in truth she looks a bit like she's suffering from a terminal illness. The bypass will make you lose faster but it comes at a price.

Cher!!!

Perfect, Madam R. Is looking for a buddy. This person must command the English language,

Commit no spelling errors and have a witty sense of humor!

You, my dear, possess these elusive to the VST qualities!

http://www.verticals...ay/#entry935144

Laura, I intentionally use the word "journey" just to make you cringe. :) Nah, I actually use it LESS now because you've made it friend criteria and I want to stay on your good side.

And I'm sorry to say that while I do believe I meet most of Madam R.'s requirements, I am, sad to say, possessed of an inflated sense of superiority and that might be a deal breaker.

However, she did say "disillusioned" sense of superiority. Mine is slightly inflated as I have a high opinion of myself (and naturally, a low opinion of many others) but I'm not disillusioned. I'm merely self-aware.

:)

Missed you, gal, so glad to be back on the boards, and Madam R. is going to fit right in with the cool kids.

~Cheri

Heard on talk radio today that plastic surgery can make you look younger but not necessarily more attractive. In a study they polled people whether photos of plastic surgery patients were more attractive post op. Overwhelmingly they said no. Interesting....

Heard on talk radio today that plastic surgery can make you look younger but not necessarily more attractive. In a study they polled people whether photos of plastic surgery patients were more attractive post op. Overwhelmingly they said no. Interesting....

I agree, to be honest. I'd opt for chopping off the excess skin, re-plumping (modestly) my bust, but as for the face? I'd leave it fairly untouched I think. Save, perhaps, for a bit of filler here and there!