Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mediocrity and Teenagers

Everyone doesn't belong in college..So, many people that start college with you are gone by Freshman or Junior year. Or they are still there 8 years later.
Took me 8 years to get out of undergrad. :)

llewis:

I understand and respect your opinion, but I disagree. I will not accept mediocrity from my children. I will do what it takes, reach them however I can, to have them understand that "average" is not acceptable. If my son wants to play sports, he will understand that he must get his grades first. I wasn't allowed to bring C's home and still have an active social life, nor was my sister, nor was my brother. My sister is a lawyer, my brother is a physician, I am a director in a company with my Ph.D.

On the converse, my cousins were allowed to be mediocre - they put forth medium effort and skated by, although they were in plays and sports. One cousin is a lunchroom supervisor and the other works at the Gap and at the MAC counter in the mall. I know that my siblings and I have a much easier time making ends meet than my cousins. But even now, they don't want to work hard.

Yes, children are different. But we as parents have to find a way to reach them and get them to understand that some things in life aren't optional. And if you want the rewards in life, if you want endless opportunity, you must work hard.

I'm sure you are equally proud of your boys. And please don't think that I am judging your parenting skills at all, because I'm not. We have different views, and that's okay. :) But no, my children will not be mediocre. Even if C's is the best they can do, they will know the value of hard work and put forth their best effort (even if I have to beat it out of them). HA!

Nathalie

P.S. I didn't mean I'll physically beat my kids, so nobody answer me with "You're a child abuser!" ahaha

Oh Nathalie (in Michigan! !!!!!

Don't say it won't be your kids!!!! We never know what our kids will do and how they'll act. I'm a teacher of special education at the elem. level. I've taught kids in all grades - K-12 with and without disabilities. It's all the same..some want to strivefor good/outstanding grades and others could care less. Mediocre is fine for them. they have other things on their minds that are mre important to them at the time. I have a son who is 21, in college and becomes upset with a b. Then I have a 15 year old in 9th grade who cares only about football. B's and C's are just fine with him. He's perfectly capable of A's but doesn't want to put forth the effort and sees no need in busting his butt for an A when a B or C is sufficient to pass. But it's a differnt story when it comes to sports. he strives to excel in that area and does. I assure you...we have instilled the same quality in both boys......to try to be their best.....they have just chosen different avenues to do their best in. Yes...it bothers me that my 9th grader doesn't care about his grades. it bothers me more than it would alot of others since I'm a teacher but we have given both of them our best shot in raising them and instilling values. Kids are different.

But yes, mediocre seems to be just fine for many of our students today. It's sad because we currently have the best education available ever in the US. There's many different reasons for the mediocre attitudes though. It's not just the faults of parents and teachers. It's our environment and cultures as well.

Please NEVER say NEVER when it comes to your children.

llewis:

I understand and respect your opinion, but I disagree. I will not accept mediocrity from my children. I will do what it takes, reach them however I can, to have them understand that "average" is not acceptable. If my son wants to play sports, he will understand that he must get his grades first. I wasn't allowed to bring C's home and still have an active social life, nor was my sister, nor was my brother. My sister is a lawyer, my brother is a physician, I am a director in a company with my Ph.D.

On the converse, my cousins were allowed to be mediocre - they put forth medium effort and skated by, although they were in plays and sports. One cousin is a lunchroom supervisor and the other works at the Gap and at the MAC counter in the mall. I know that my siblings and I have a much easier time making ends meet than my cousins. But even now, they don't want to work hard.

Yes, children are different. But we as parents have to find a way to reach them and get them to understand that some things in life aren't optional. And if you want the rewards in life, if you want endless opportunity, you must work hard.

I'm sure you are equally proud of your boys. And please don't think that I am judging your parenting skills at all, because I'm not. We have different views, and that's okay. :) But no, my children will not be mediocre. Even if C's is the best they can do, they will know the value of hard work and put forth their best effort (even if I have to beat it out of them). HA!

Nathalie

P.S. I didn't mean I'll physically beat my kids, so nobody answer me with "You're a child abuser!" ahaha

Wow, I'm sorry but you seem like a bit of a snob, like your family is above working at such places as the GAP, or heaven forbid, *gasp* a lunchroom??? Since you are better able to make ends meet, you are better off?? Like that is all that matters. Wow, nice.......

Wow, I'm sorry but you seem like a bit of a snob, like your family is above working at such places as the GAP, or heaven forbid, *gasp* a lunchroom??? Since you are better able to make ends meet, you are better off?? Like that is all that matters. Wow, nice.......

Judge much, Missy. You don't know me, and have judged me and my family based on a paragraph? I never said we were above working at such places, and I certainly don't think we're better than anyone else. But why bother explaining to you? Your mind is already made up. Have a great day! :)

Took me 8 years to get out of undergrad. :)

I didn't graduate on time either, but I should have. It took me 5 years. I even stayed in school an extra semester for the heck of it. My point is it shouldn't typically take a student that long to graduate unless they have other stuff going on...Not everyone is a traditional student, I understand that. There are those students @ almost every school that want to be "professional students."

My cousin went to school from fall 98 to winter 04, but she almost had a kid and took some time off a few semesters.