Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band is killing me. HELP!!! Removal or New band??? Pain?

Hi all, how are u? Brief run down of me:

Simmy, 25 years old and I live in australia.

I have had the band since October 2005. I have lost nearly 80 kilos. I was 155 kilos now I will be down to nearly 80 kilos...

PROBLEM:

I cant eat solids, i live on Soup and chocolate and I can not tolerate food otherwise I end up in hospital with MASSIVE pain in my ribs and back...

Went to docs they feel somthing is wrong and I have to have a barrium mill thing tomorrow. Was in hospital yesterday as it feels as though my ribs and tummy are being sucked from my insides...soooo painful.

Doc feels I will proble have to have it out BECAUSE I either am rejecting the band of there is some kind of slippage. But the last 5 days has been hell I havent been able to eat anything, dehydrated, vomiting, hospital, reflux oh how shit.

The band was put in to high so that hasnt helped things.

But because of all this I lack so much energy and get sick all the time. Which totally sucks. I can have the option of having another band put in. Or having it taken out completly. I do not ever in my life wanna be like I was BUT i do know my brain. U are the only people I honestly can say that too on this site lol cuz otherwise people look at me like im a freak.

I just wanna be normal have a normal life.

Tell me some things...

What is the operation to have the band removed? is it key hole or open surgery? how much did it cost?

how long where u in hospital for and how long did it take to get back to normal eating?

Im sooooo sick of being sick and in pain...

Has anyone else felt or had this happen to them???

Cheers...

Sick Simmy.

xoxoxoxoxoxoo.

Hi Simmy, I am Susannah from Melbourne. Where are you from? I am so sorry to hear of the hellish time you are having. I am just about to have my band put in and what you are going through really scares me. Can you have a new band put in? Do you have private health insurance? iF so they should be able to put a new band in by keyhole in the correct position.

Good luck.:( Susannah

PS check out the local Australian board on this site.

yeah i can have a new band put in :( but its just do I want too...

Its a hard decision. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE dont be scared this doesnt happen to everyone.

Have urs done and Im sure it will be fine think positive and do what they say :(

GOOOOD LUCK.

Simmy.

xoxoxoxoo.

Gday Simmy, I can't tell you what to do, but you could have a new band put in and not have this problem again. Being obese is bloody horrific too. We all know.:( Susannah

simmah... i havernt been banded yet and i havernt even have my initial consult so i have know idea what your going through. But... i hope you find out exactly what is going on fast... best wishes

Simmy, sorry to hear that you have been having problems... I have had problems too... but not as bad as yours. Mine has been my shoulder hurting. But if I had to do it again, I would try another lap band in your situation before thinking about going with out.... Would the people that put your first lap band in cover the coast of a new one since they placed it too high and is causing complications? I look at it that you have nothing to lose by having another one put in...(other than money). If the second one is giving you the same problems then I would look at other options of removing it. Does this help?

Hi Simmy,

It would help if you had more information first after the barium swallow before you make a decision. It sounds like you dont have all the facts yet. If you have an erosion, then they will take the band out and it is unlikely that anyone would recommend a second band until your stomach heals. If it is incorrect placement, you might want to consider another surgeon to be rebanded. IF you are too tight and removal of saline will help you to be able to eat solids, then maybe nothing but a little band rest would be recommended. Wait and see what the docs say. Also get a second opinion. Thats what I did and it turned out that I did not need a new band after being told by doc #1 that I did.

Babs in TX

334/190 ish

Hi Simmy,

I have had a severe slippage (probably the worst on record). My surgeon said he had never seen a band slip that far. At any rate, it was have emergency surgery or die. I chose surgery and I am so glad that I did. It turns out my band was placed too low initially and it was one of the reasons for the slippage. Going into surgery, I didn't know whether he could save my band or not. I had a lot of damage all the way down my stomach and intestines and was in surgery for 3.5 hours. After repairing all of the adhesions, my surgeon was able to place the same band in the correct position. He put it between 2 or 3 arteries or veins or something that connects to the upper stomach so that it cannot slip. Then he wrapped it in plastic mesh. So I feel very confident that my band will not slip again because it is between the 2 veins or whatever. I am doing great now. No pain. It took 2-3 months recovery time before I could get a fill but I am losing weight so much easier and faster now than before the life-saving surgery. I can't believe the difference correct positioning can have on weight loss. It is wonderful!! My surgery was laproscopic and he used some of the same incisions from the first surgery. The cost was around $27K - $28K for the surgeon and hospital. This doesn't include all of the tests and lab-work prior to surgery. But remember I was in surgery for a long time (3.5 hours). Please hang in there and don't be discouraged. They may be able to save your band and position it correctly. All I can tell you is that I am so grateful my band was saved and I feel fantastic now. I am losing a steady 2-3 lbs a week. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.

Simmy

Sorry you are having so much trouble!

If your band does have to come out - could you have them replace it with the big Vanguard model? I am here to tell you that when I have no fill, it's like I have no band at all.

that way you could work your way back to a good level of restriction that would allow you to eat solid foods.

Just a thought.

Hugs and get better, soon.

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you. I can only imagine how horrible it must be to live on Soup. The chocolate......well, wouldn't we all like a little of that now and again-but all the time? I don't know.

I'm curious. Do the doctors think that having your band placed too high may have contributed to this? Mine is placed too high and I often have severe pain under my ribs that seems to have nothing to do with eating. I can't really have much of a fill because I get reflux really easily. I think it's due to the placement of the band although I have yet to be able to ask my new doctor his opinion of this.

Keep us updated.

:phanvan Maybe it's your gallbladder. I am new to this site and due to be banded later this month or earily next. I wish the very best,don't give up.

Hi april160 and welcome. I too have not been banded yet but hope to be late february/ early march.

You could have a point r/e the gallbladder but it should have been the first thing any GP would have queried and hopefully sent Simmah for an ultrasound. Hopefully we will here shortly from Simmah to see what the problem was....