Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infection in Port Incision

I was banded Nov 27th. All was going well until last week friday when I woke up and noticed that the last scab from my port incision had came off and the site was full of puss. I immediately call my local physician and went in. I was put on antibiotics for 10 days. Well, tonight is my last dose and am just not sure....it looks better and is no longer oozing, however it is still red and the site is "scabbed over" and the scab is yellow. Am I being a worry-wort? or should I go back in? If it was any other site, I would not be as worried, but this is my port. I am scared to even make an apt for a fill until this is all taken care of. Any advise is appreciated.

Thank You

yyev

If you are worried about it I would deffinitly go in to see the Dr. Better to be safe then sorry. Hopefully it is better now but I wouldnt take any chances. Good luck and I am sorry your having to worry about this.

I went in today and doc says infection is gone but have 2 openings that are not closed yet and are still oozing a bit. She dug around in the larger one to make sure there was not a stitch still in there, she found nothing. Gotta keep it covered and moist until it is healed. Problem is, I am having a hard time with the tapes. I have VERY sensitive skin. After the initial infection, I only kept it covered for about a week because the adhesive from the tapes, even the sensitive skin paper tape, really takes a toll on my skin....i break out from them all. Doc gave me a roll of medi-pore tape (she says she has yet to see someone break out from it)....well, guess what....i broke out!

Anyway she thinks I was allergic to the stitches that they used and my body was trying to reject them, in turn, it got infected. I don't understand though, it was only the port incision and none of the others...do they use different "thread" for that incision?

Sorry, didn't mean to get long winded. I go back next week for a re-check.

yyev

:clap2: I just joined this site tonight and am thrilled to see a fellow North Dakotan here...I am just starting to look into the lap-band journey myself and am really nervous. I live in Minot but want to have the band done in Bismarck..Who was your Dr?I have so many questions Id like to ask you but I'll just start with one.....for now!!!:welldone:

Lisa

hi

I had Lapband surgery in July 06. I was allergic to the adhesive on the bandaids and tape after surgery too! It left raised red welts. I also had one incision site that had not closed and looked like sunglasses....both ends were open. It was a challenge, every time I took a shower the scab would come off.. Finally, after working hard to keep it clean and not covered, it healed. Then, I had another surgery in October and one spot had a little hole. I was going crazy and then finally one day a stich knot popped out and it healed shut! Gross! Anyways, the point is both events happened to me last year and all my wounds healed fine. Just make sure to keep it dry and clean. Good Luck, and some of us find out at our first fill that the port was not where we thought it was, in my case and my bandmates with the same doctor, the port was way lower than the incision. When you are all healed up and ready, your fill will be fine.

Hi, I know it's been a while since your surgery. Just wanted to know what happened with your port site? I'm 4 weeks out and have the same issue. Open wound over port site. Not healing. I'm sure there are some sutures that won't disolve but the doc won't listen to me. Just keep on telling me to leave it alone and it will heal. He is worried to clean the wound up because it's so close to the port. So I feel like I'm just waiting for an infection. What can I do? I'm a self pay. I don't want to lose this Lap Band because my surgeon messed up and won't listen to me. Any advice?

thanks

Jami

Hi, I know it's been a while since your surgery. Just wanted to know what happened with your port site? I'm 4 weeks out and have the same issue. Open wound over port site. Not healing. I'm sure there are some sutures that won't disolve but the doc won't listen to me. Just keep on telling me to leave it alone and it will heal. He is worried to clean the wound up because it's so close to the port. So I feel like I'm just waiting for an infection. What can I do? I'm a self pay. I don't want to lose this LAP-BAND® because my surgeon messed up and won't listen to me. Any advice?

thanks

Jami

Hi Jami

I ended up going to my Family Doc & she was more than happy to dig around for a stitch that didn't disolve & did not find anything. My incision did get infected & all I can say is DO NOT put neosporin or any triple antibiotic ointment on for more than 3 days...I learned the hard way, along with oral antibiotics I also used topical, I started with the one hole on one end of my incision that got infected & would not heal & ended up with two holes. Triple antibiotic ointment will thin the skin with continued use for a longer period of time. After antibiotics for the infection, it just took time & tried to keep it moist (keeping it moist will help it heal from the inside out). Hope it all works out for you.

yyvonne