Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerns about Lap Band - Is this true???

Hi Everyone:

I'm new here. I'm at the very beginning of this journey, and I'm doing a lot of reading about the Lap Band. I'll be meeting with my Primary Care Physician in a few days, and I'm trying to prepare for this meeting by becoming as informed as possible about the Lap Band.

I've been reading a book called, "The Patient's Guide to Weight Loss Surgery: Everything You Need To Know About Gastric Bypass and Bariatric Surgery." It has been a very informative book, and while only a small portion of the book deals with the Lap Band, the book does have a few personal stories from people who have had the Lap Band surgery. Here are some things that were brought up, and I am wondering if they're true:

*They said that you will still be hungry - they described it as being constantly hungry, but not able to eat enough to satisfy your hunger. So, it is very frustrating not being able to feel full.

*They said that it takes a really long time to eat a meal - one person said they just ate little bits of food all of the time, because this was the only way they ever felt full. They said that eating a meal can take up to two hours.

*They said that eating became drudgery - basically, eating was definitely not pleasurable anymore, and that they ate purely for survival. This wouldn't be that big of a deal for me, but I'm just wondering if it is true.

*They said that you still have to diet.

Just trying to weed out the good from the bad information. I'm finding that everything I read is very biased one way or another. Some people think the Lap Band is great, others say RNY is the way to go. While I know that information is key to making a good medical decision, I must admit I'm feeling very overwhelmed by the conflicting information I'm finding. Any help you can offer would be great!!!

Thanks!

Originally posted by kimster

Hi Everyone:

Hi, Kimster!

*They said that you will still be hungry - they described it as being constantly hungry, but not able to eat enough to satisfy your hunger. So, it is very frustrating not being able to feel full.

Well, this must be someone new at the process or someone who was not educated as to what to expect. First, we learn to subdivide "hunger," into types of hunger. One is the hunger that causes all people to eat to survive. The other is "head hunger," the urge to keep eating when we have eaten enough to live and really have no physiological NEED for more food. Since the LapBand only goes around the stomach, not the head, it can't do too much about that ongoing urge to consume food we don't need, but it can--if we follow the rules--limit the amount of food that we eat.

*They said that it takes a really long time to eat a meal - one person said they just ate little bits of food all of the time, because this was the only way they ever felt full. They said that eating a meal can take up to two hours.

These poor people...after 20-30 minutes, it's time to give up. You have eaten.

*They said that eating became drudgery - basically, eating was definitely not pleasurable anymore, and that they ate purely for survival. This wouldn't be that big of a deal for me, but I'm just wondering if it is true.

While we do need to focus on Protein first and then the other stuff, there are plenty of opportunities to eat other foods. But part of the learning experience, a really big part for me and I'm still working on it, is to find things that give me more pleasure than overeating. (Please ignore the fact that I'm knocking down way too many pecan pralines while typing this.) (And they are giving me inordinate pleasure.) (But I have to stop because I'm looking forward to a little roll in the hay with Mr. Sue and I don't want to be overstuffed.)

NO NO NO!! Did I mention...NO! Do not diet. RELEARN eating. (Donali is the resident expert on this topic.) When we diet, it is a temporary thing, done only as long as we have to. What we need is a new way to be happy...but this time happy AND healthy. And maybe find things that are even more pleasing than food to excess.

Just trying to weed out the good from the bad information.

Good plan.

Keep asking....

Sue

Kim, it is extremely confusing! You are very wise to do as much research as you can. If you are interested in Lapband, please get accurate information from Inamed (manufacturer of the lapband), lapband surgeons, & actual lapband patients. Inamed & many lapband surgeons have their own websites. Forums like this one are written by actual l.b. patients talking about everyday life -- the pros and the cons.

The particular book that you've been reading is about gastric bypass surgery. It was written for the primary purpose of pushing bypass surgery. Unfortunately, the info. it contains on lapbanding couldn't be further from the truth.

You will be hungry after your initial banding. But it's temporary. You have to give your band time to heal & anchor. But your first fill will help you with hunger. You'll be so surprised & so happy at how little you can eat & feel full. You won't be overgorged & nauseated like before banding.

Most bandsters eat their meal at an enjoyable pace & usually finish in about 20 minutes. They learn to eat wisely. Protein first, then vegetables. These solid nutrious foods help you feel full longer than soft foods (soups, ice cream, puddings, etc.) You can still have sweets. But if you've eaten the good foods first, you won't crave as many.

Eating really is pleasurable, because you're really trying to eat healthier. You feel better because you're getting the nutrients you need. You aren't having the highs and lows from too much sugar. Your newfound energy helps you do so much LIVING instead of obsessing about food all the time.

Diets don't work! That's why people are having lapbands or gastric bypass surgery.

It is true that "full" feels different after banding, at least for a while. Now that I've been banded almost a year I can honestly say that I feel FULL in a completely satisfying way when I've had enough. During the first few months there is a conflict between our stomachs and our minds--it really can be difficult to realize that the inside of half a sandwich is a perfectly fine lunch. But that's our brains resisting, not our bodies.

Sure, it's possible to graze all day if you want. But if someone takes two hours to eat a meal that person is eating several meals' worth of food. I usually eat for between 10 and 20 minutes and I'm done. People eating for so long are not feeding their physical hunger, but rather refusing to recognize that their heads and mouths don't know what's ENOUGH. We have to learn to let the band tell us.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Get it? No. I have a whole NEW appreciation for food, adding to my enjoyment of life. The other night I ordered an $8.50 soft-shell crab appetizer at a restaurant for my dinner. Much as I love soft-shell crab, I'd never have bought such an expensive appetizer before (and the soft-shell crab dinner was over $20). But now that the appetizer is my meal it's well worth the price. And it was beautiful, delicious, and plenty of food.

Only if you want to, and I don't recommend it. If you hand over control of your eating to your band, IT will pull a lot of the weight with regard to self-control. When I was on diets in the past, I could push away from the table after a meal of salad and tunafish with the best of them. But 10 minutes later I'd be in the fridge looking for something more, something satisfying, because my stomach wasn't satisfied any more than my brain was. It's a LOT EASIER to stay out of the fridge after a meal now, because my stomach really is satisfied. There is just no more room after a meal--and I mean a small meal--and so now I eat better meals and satisfy myself from the start.

I'm really sorry to see that what you're quoting is still in print. Those comments could be made by anyone after ANY weight-loss surgery, and they sound like the patient is expecting the surgery to do all the work. It's not that way. And with time, at least with the band, the life gets easier and not harder. I don't worry about the surgery no longer "working" after a year, or two, or five, because my band isn't going anywhere. So when the RNY patients are frantically counting calories, again, and worrying about their compromised nutrition, I'll be toodling along my merry way healthfully losing at a rational pace. And KEEPING it off.

I'm glad you're here and checking this out, Kim. Keep asking questions! :)

I have one thing to add... I know 2 people that have had gastric by pass. They have done very well... They are at the beginning of their journey. Both have lost around 140 lbs in 5 - 6 months. Their skin is awful saggy. But thats ok, they are feeling better etc. I have to admit to being jealous.. Now for the reason I am typing this. I know of 2 more ladies that had gastric bypass. BOTH of have regained all of their weight and more. One got down to a normal size and is now over 400 lbs. Also, the statistics when I had the band were, 1 in 200 die of gastric bypass, 1 in 10,000 of lapband. They were not even sure of the 10,000, because there are so few deaths. Most are contributed to being too overweight, or other medical problems. Not the band. Gastric people also have problems with what they can eat, especially sugar. We can usually eat anything.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm so happy to hear these things! You all are great support! It is so helpful to hear your personal experiences. Please, keep them coming!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Kim,

I am not going to lie to you. I have had my band for 1 yr. 3 mos. I probably need a fill, cause I can tell that I am eating more. I was VERY disappointed at first in the band. I did not lose, I gained the 1st month. I had no restriction. But nobody does the 1st month. I was the 3rd patient my doctor did on the band. He was a very good surgeon and had done many laproscopic surgeries, but only 2 bands. However, my band has been scoped twice in a year and it is perfect. So...... what I wanted to tell you is, I was disappointed in how slowwwwwwwwwwww I thought the weight came off. I wanted the band to do it all honestly.... hard to admit, but I did. I knew that in gastric bypass you had no choice but to eat small amounts. But I didn't like the death rate and the fact my insides would be cut and thrown in the trash and my colon re-routed to my new tiny tummy. With this one, If I change my mind, it can be taken out and I am the same as before except for 5 small cuts on my belly. So I chose this. EVERYONE, was losing so well on this but me... I didn't understand (wasn't told actually) the procedure about how I had to wait until sutures healed to get a fill. When I did, he gave me 2 cc's to start. I still didn't feel much restriction. It took about 4 fills ... But when it happened , it happened... and I understood. I am not unhappy with my choice. I am 5'2", I started at 301, I now weigh 210. I have actually gained a little. It is true. You do have to watch what you eat, but it is not that hard because you get full so much easier than before. I look like a different person. In fact I posted pictures on this site of me. Go look. I can't remember what it says. I think before and after pics of Terry Evans. I will try to figure it out and post and tell you how to get there. My life has changed and I am so very, very, very, happy.

Terry

Did I mention I am HAPPY?

KIM

To view my before and after pix go to l. lapbandtalk.com Forums at the top, 2. then to : Introductions 3. Pictures of Terry Evans (sascijo)

I hope it shows you how much a person can change with the band. My daughter had the surgery the same day as I . She didn't have near as much to lose so she has lost slower. She looks amazing now. When I get time, I am going to post some personal pictures of hers at the same site.

I can't believe someone had the nerve to write a book called "Everything you need to know..." This is an on-going process, so NOBODY knows it all!

Being full with the lap band is different for me than before. I feel full way up high, like inbetween my ribs, which is approximately where the pouch is. However, as food goes through to the lower stomach, sometimes I feel full there, too.

A lot of banded people stay on diets. But it's different because the band helps you stay on the diet. I can't explain it, but a couple ounces of cottage cheese with carrots actually sounds appealing now. Go figure.

There are times I overeat. There are times I undereat. One, two, or several people can't tell you what to expect, because we all go through different band experiences. My band is so funny that some days I can't even think of food, while other days I can eat just about anything as long as I chew my food and eat slowly.

For me, I think the most effective part of my band is that it forces me to chew my food really really well. It's a no-brainer, cause all "diets" tell you to eat slow, but the band MAKES you, otherwise the food is uncomfortable going down.

So if I still have food on my plate after 20 minutes, I throw it away.

And the band is completely reversible, while the gastric bypass mutilates (the word my primary care doctor uses) your entire digestive system.

Hi Kim,

I was banded 5/8/04 in Tijuana Mexico and am down 49 lbs. I FEEL great!!! I love my band. There are times I struggle but nothing like with dieting. For some reason the band makes "dieting" easier. You don't even need to diet!!! For me it has happened pretty naturally. My 3 biggest struggles that have gotten easier with practice: drinking enough Water, eating slowly enough. Once in awhile when I am in a hurry to eat I experience a p.b./regurgitation of food. It rarely happens and it is not painful for me but I definitely like to avoid it occurring too. My meals typically should take 10-20 minutes tops. Lastly the other difficult thing was no drinking after meals. I guess I should add giving up diet soda too. All of those were habits that weren't really too difficult to change. It took a little practive but after a couple of weeks it got easier.

The only formal excercise I do is Water aerobics. I highly recommend it! I am starting to be more willing to walk but haven't started a walking routine. I just feel more and more energy every day. Smaller clothes helps motivate too. I do have an active job as a housekeeper but it obviously never helped me lose weight in the past.

I do get a full sensation with the band but it is more subtle than pre-band. I dish out my plate with small portions of whatever I am eating and if I can't finish it I give the leftovers to the dogs and when I do finish it, I definitely feel satiated. I do still allow myself small luxuries on a daily basis (sugar free espresso drinks and 1 single size candy bar) but all other times I eat the Protein first then veggis. Funny enough, I had kind of a snack fest at a festival I went to last weekend. I got free tickets to a 3 day country music festival and they came with hospitality passes (FREE food and drinks!!!!). I swear I munched all weekend but when I added up the calories it added up to about 2000 calories. Now understand that is STILL way over my normal daily limit of 1200 calories but WAY below my daily preband intake. I still feel really critical of myself that I ate so much those two days but when I really thought about it I just had to pause and think of the "real picture". Now we will see how it affects my wednesday weight date this week. LOL... I also walked a LOT over the weekend so maybe they will counteract each other...

I have not had a fill and won't need one till I plateau for a few weeks. I am still losing steadily so not sure when I'll need one. I am 12 weeks post band. Also, I am 30 years old, no kids, married 5 years, love gardening, cooking and critters. Nice to meet you, Teresa

Dr. Lopez

5/8/04

362/313/???

no fills