Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caution about alcohol

I'm two weeks away from surgery, but I wanted to offer some advice regarding alcohol post-surgery. I know this is the type of thing you've probably heard about before, but wanted to share an experience.

My ex-wife had bariatric surgery in 2004. At that point, we had been married for 14 years. She was never a drinker before that. I can remember a whole year going by without her even drinking a glass of wine.

For the first couple of years after surgery, everything was fine. She lost nearly all of her excess weight. Then, she got a job at a restaurant where the staff would drink a glass of wine together at the end of the night. Within a year, she was an alcoholic. It became apparent to me that she had replaced the feeling of comfort that food gave her with alcohol.

By early 2010, our marriage came to an end because of it. 20 years of marriage with 2 kids. We tried to help and and get her into treatment but nothing worked. Today, she is a shell of her old self. She has liver disease and I doubt she will be here a year from now.

If you are addicted to food, I would suggest that you stay away from alcohol as long as you can after surgery and try to find something non-destructive to comfort you. I love drinking and collecting red wines. I take regular trips to Napa Valley. But I've had to make a commitment that I won't drink wine again until I'm comfortable that I've resolved any addictive behavior in myself.

Thanks for reading

Thanks for the words of caution. I'm very sorry for the pain it's caused you but glad you're approaching your big change with appropriate care.

My father was an alcoholic and he went the opposite route. When he sobered up, he replaced alcohol with food. He blew up quickly before he even realized the replacement that was going on. We definitely need to identify our own cumpulsive patterns. We are like this because we couldnt exert control over certain things. My doc recommends cutting out alcohol altogether and I'm leaning towards following his advice.

Thanks for the advice. As a child of alchoholics and person who who has food addiction issues, I could see how this could happen easily.

Dustin-- We need to "Sticky" your comment. I'm with you all the way with your thoughts. It's me--I quit drinking after 11 months of up to 2-1/2 bottles per night. I work where I see the devastation of chronic drinking. I was not going to be a statistic. My hubby and I are married over 30 years and I was not about to lose that. I work on my old food addiction but not with alcohol to numb the process. I'm just making better choices Protein first, good veggies next, and very little carbs. This seems to work. Also started L-Glutamine for strong cravings, a 500-1000mg when they are strong really helps me. (it is and amino acid). Please heed Dustins advice sounds like "he's been there done that" Good Luck.

I think it's especially important for us to pay attention to these things too. Not only because it takes so much less to knock us on our butts. I think the risk of a "crossover addiction" is very easy! I come from a background of family members with addiction issues (drugs alcohol) I have NEVER had a problem with drugs or alcohol (just food) . I was very prepared for many things after surgery but the one thing I didn't think about was the temptation to find comfort in things that never comforted me before.. The weeks after my surgery I became increasingly aware of my "need" for my pain meds (refilled twice) it got to a point I looked forward to my nightly dose. I wasn't taking it during the day just at night for my relaxing down time (the time I used to over eat also). I knew it was becoming an issue so I fessed up to my husband who then helped me hold myself accountable after.

To this day I have to be really honest with myself as to why I want to take a medication.. Even allergy meds that make me sleepy.

Eyes wide open.

I experienced this first hand on a date the other night. I am and will always be an alcoholic. I dont know why I thought the surgery would change that or limit that. The only difference on my binge drinking night is that it hit me sooner and I blacked out quicker. It is playing with fire and im just not gonna touch it. AA is there for a reason. Especially only 7 1/2 weeks out of surgery, I need to be back in those rooms and meetings. Im sorry for what happened with your wife. I pray she finds her way again.

Yes, thank you for the wonderful post. It's absolutely true and the epidemic of bypass patients becoming alcoholics - to the point where I've read that it doubles your chance of alcoholism - is not something to tiptoe around or assume you'll avoid.

Any addictive behavior can transfer and you'll read about hundreds of crossover addictions if you look and do your research. A few rare people make those addictions fitness but you'll see many more instances of other, less beneficial ones.

I definitely tended to lean on food in times of stress and I find that now, especially a few years out from surgery, that I'm more likely to lean on alcohol these days. Things that I never once would have abused or considered prior to surgery are things I have to be careful about - I had an issue with sleeping pills to help me sleep last year. Why on earth would I feel the desire to take them once the need was past? But it can happen - with anything - if you have unresolved addiction issues. It's enough of a worry for me that I refused pain meds after the birth of my daughter. The nurses and doctors are drug pushers and must have asked me a dozen times if I wanted them in the hospital as well as a bottle to take home. No, I don't take chances and I didn't need them. I have to go the safe route these days.

~Cheri