Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beans and carbs

Hmmm...anyone ever give a thought to all those phytonutrients?

I don't say Beans are bad by any means. I love them. Just saying that the carb content is high and the Protein content low in comparison. I think Beans are the type of food you should add in "on top" of your daily nutrient goals...as sort of an "allowance" for pleasure. Not so much depending on them for your Protein goals, seeing as if you had the same measure of say...cottage cheese...you'd be knocking the high protein content and low carb content out of the ball park! That's about 28/30 grams of protein per cup of cottage cheese to 8/18 grams from the beans relatively. Then the carb content....that's approximately 50+ grams of carbs per cup. Just seems like there are better choices is all.

I won't even go into the effects of phytonutrients and the role they play in nutrient absorption. Lets just say....it's not a very good one.

But....like nuts, dairy....dark chocolate etc etc....I let myself have them when I really want them, if I'm not replacing a "better" source of protein in order to enjoy them. So...they're not bad. I just like to find better options if I can.

Meh...just my opinion though. Based on the facts that is ;)

However, for vegetarians or lactose intolerant people there is plenty of room to safely say that Beans can easily be one of the very very few things they can truly depend on for their Protein intake. Dealing with the high carb and phytonutrient nature of them would be another story. But I guess, with enough intake of the proper healthy (green) vegetables one could overcome even those issues...minding to keep the carbs low. Even good carbs can be bad...if you eat say over 150 grams of them......too much of a good thing....might even make you stall...

I certainly believe in good carbs.....especially on days I exercise. Here was a link I read today. #4 talks about carbs......very interesting reading I thought. On days I workout (which is almost every day), I'll still eat my Protein first, but I also make sure to get some good, complex carbs like oats, broccoli, most any kind of bean, quinoa, etc in with my Protein. I do try to stay away from "white carbs" like flour, white bread, sugar, etc. I also like the point it makes with #6 as well....sorry...unrelated. :P

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/10-unbelievable-diet-rules-backed-science-154500466.html

Exactly! The way I see it is, if you're going to be active that day then a good carb is a must. But the problem lies here for most people. What "is" a good carb? Or more so, what is a good carb for me? That's where all the choices come up, and honestly it depends on the person mainly...but there are still general guidelines relatively. For example, potatoes and sweet potatoes....carby...both are considered great for weight lifting etc....but there is a choice yet to be made. Which is healthier, which is the better carb? Obviously it's the sweet potato! Far less starch, far less chance of spiking ones blood sugar levels! The same theory applies to Beans and lentils...yes you get a minimal amount of Protein with it, and they seem to be a good carb source....but those phytonutrients screwing up the actual absorption of any good nutrients coming from them.....that's a huge downer for me! Even after 8+ hours of prior soaking...you still have well over "trace amounts" left. It's really too much of a hassle...and the canned variety.....YIKES! I steer clear! Goodness knows the amount of "unnamed" ingredients they put in there to keep the stuff fresh for centuries...ummm...no.

For me, if it's carbs I need....a sweet potato will do it. Broccoli is GREAT! But I'd rather just have a satisfying sweet potato with a higher carb content, no doubt...but a far more rich and satisfying taste. Not to mention...I don't like broccoli all that much lol.

I avoid Beans and lentils if I can. Not like the plague or anything. I just try to see if I can have something else first. They are full of things that need to be broken down for several upon several hours of fermenting first, then cooked away....and well, honestly they make a hassle of a meal if you really want to enjoy the Protein in them and not ruin everything you've been doing for weeks.

But that's just me, and my reaction to them. I do tend to gain when eating beans more than twice in a week. Meh.

Personally, I love Beans, lentils, split peas, etc. It's a great way to get Protein and Fiber and Vitamins if you are vegetarian/vegan and if you like them, of course. If you don't like them, skip it LOL, there are other ways to get the same nutrients. I just think they are really tasty and I love how many different ways you can prepare legumes.

Personally' date=' I love Beans, lentils, split peas, etc. It's a great way to get Protein and Fiber and Vitamins if you are vegetarian/vegan and if you like them, of course. If you don't like them, skip it LOL, there are other ways to get the same nutrients. I just think they are really tasty and I love how many different ways you can prepare legumes.[/quote']

It's definitely working for me to have 1/4 c of Beans a day. Gives me energy, a few much-needed carbs, goes down easy, and I don't have to be gnawing on some chicken for an hour. They seem to not agree with my husband's new tummy, but I'm not having an issues. I also appreciate the additional Fiber they offer me, as does my body. :P

There are "good" carbs and "bad" carbs. Beans are good source of fiber' date=' Protein, and even potassium. They're a "good" carb.

Once your WLS postop diet allows for them of course.[/quote']

Carbs... I am now able to eat crackers.. have u tried eating any kind of cracker yet? If so, any suggestions.