Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Estimated caloric intake BEFORE and AFTER surgery?

I hadn't really tracked my calories before surgery (unless I was hot and heavy on some diet) but not immediately leading up to my surgery. Looking back, I was probably averaging 2500 calories a day with days topping 3000 and other days closer to 2000 (when I cook more and don't eat out).

Now I am between 1000-1200 at 7 weeks out.

What about you?

I am 9 weeks out and am getting 1100-1200 calories a day. I have lost nearly 40 lbs so far.

I only ever counted calories when I was on a "diet" before the surgery. Now I am using My Fitness Pro to track my Protein. Calories are incidental to the 80-100 grams of Protein.

I am eating about a third of the food that I aye before. So that would mean I was probably taking in 3,000+ calories a day before the surgery. Wow! No wonder I had a weight problem!

When I was on medically supervised diet a few years ago, they said that, generally speaking, women need 11 calories per pound to maintain their weight, and men were 14 (I think...as a woman, I was really only paying attention to what impacted me). So, they said if you wanted to weigh 150 pounds, that meant that a woman would need to net 1650 calories a day...and the reverse was true...if you wanted to know what you were currently taking in, you would multiply your weight by the noted calories. So, that is a long way of saying that pre-surgery I was taking in over 3,200 calories a day, and 9.5 weeks post-op, I am taking in about 800 a day (before deducting calories from exercise)

Was going to add notes about the "3,500 calorie equals a pound" component of weight loss/gain and instead came across these two articles. Interesting!

http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-myth-1-the-3500-calorie-rule.html

http://www.drsharma.ca/how-many-extra-calories-do-you-need-to-become-obese.html

When I was on medically supervised diet a few years ago, they said that, generally speaking, women need 11 calories per pound to maintain their weight, and men were 14 (I think...as a woman, I was really only paying attention to what impacted me). So, they said if you wanted to weigh 150 pounds, that meant that a woman would need to net 1650 calories a day...and the reverse was true...if you wanted to know what you were currently taking in, you would multiply your weight by the noted calories. So, that is a long way of saying that pre-surgery I was taking in over 3,200 calories a day, and 9.5 weeks post-op, I am taking in about 800 a day (before deducting calories from exercise)

Was going to add notes about the "3,500 calorie equals a pound" component of weight loss/gain and instead came across these two articles. Interesting!

http://www.drsharma.ca/obesity-myth-1-the-3500-calorie-rule.html

http://www.drsharma.ca/how-many-extra-calories-do-you-need-to-become-obese.html

Very interesting article which have answered my other question of weight loss plateauing at 6 months. Maybe that's the approximate amount of time fr the body to adjust to lower calorie intake. This portion of the article:

This means that a given reduction in caloric intake (let’s say eating 500 calories less per day) will only result in weight loss for as long as it takes the body to decrease its daily caloric needs by that amount. Unfortunately, this generally occurs within a few weeks of starting your diet (as the body loses weight and hormonal changes kick in to reduce energy metabolism). This is when you stop losing weight, despite still eating 500 calories less than before. To start losing weight again, you would now need to reduce your calories even further, but even then weight loss would once again stop as the body adjusts to even fewer calories. (This is why people who have bariatric surgery, despite consuming far fewer calories than before, don’t simply continue losing weight till they disappear).

4 months out and around 800 calories

6 weeks our & I don't know. My NUT wants me to focus ONLY on Protein and hydration for the first 2 months.

I'm 2.5 weeks out and even though my nut said to only count protein/water and not calories, I still track and take in about 500-700 calories per day. Before surgery, I'm assuming I took in 3,000+.

I ate anywhere from 2000-4000 calories a day before surgery, and maybe more some times. It's pretty easy to consume over 1000 calories in a sitting while not eating that much.....think donuts, fast food burgers, etc. Now I eat around 900 calories a day at 7 months post op. Some days it's as much as 1200 calories, but I try not to do that more than once a week, and some days it's closer to 800 calories, but I have a hard time going any lower than that.

I assume that before I was anywhere from 2500-4000 a day. Now I am 9 weeks out and am at 900-1000 per day. Closer to 500 if I don't hit my Protein (there are days I just crave a salad!).