Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Multiple Newbie Questions from FL

Guest phatdaddy32

Guest phatdaddy32

I am in the process of doing my pre-op workup and have several questions for band vets.

1. I am using an out of state surgeon. What have other people found with the surgery being done out of state?

2. Any body get approved by BCBS FL?

3. What can I expect( the brutal truth) for the first several weeks?

THANKS TO ALL.

Sorry, can't help you w/ #1 or #2. But #3: you may feel a few aches and pains for the first couple of weeks. But they'll get better every day. You may get mad because you're hungry (while on the liquid stage). But this too will pass. You may have some depression because you'll find yourself wondering what to do with time on your hands (time that used to be spent eating, eating, and eating again). But you'll soon start seeing the scales go down, your clothes getting looser, your energy level picking up, and your mood getting brighter. You'll start getting out and really living life for the first time in years. You'll have to buy new clothes because the old ones are falling off. You'll decrease your prescription meds. drastically. Your pre-existing health problems will be reduced, if not completely eliminated. You'll thank God for a new chance at living a happier, healthier life. You'll think, "Hey, I love my band!"

Originally posted by phatdaddy32

I am in the process of doing my pre-op workup and have several questions for band vets.

1. I am using an out of state surgeon. What have other people found with the surgery being done out of state?

I had mine out of country and it IS a hassle.

2. Any body get approved by BCBS FL?

3. What can I expect( the brutal truth) for the first several weeks?

I had the band on Tuesday and root canal on Thursday and a five hour flight home (plus four hours of layover) on Friday. No biggie. The tooth that needed the root canal hurt far worse.

THANKS TO ALL.

NOW, the part that will make you crazy is about two or three weeks post-op, when you are felling perfectly fine, but have little or no restriction (because you will not have had any adjustments) and you'll be thinking you wasted your money and it's not working for you. THAT's a tough time.

Welcome,

Sue

great answers, marie and sue.

the only thing i can really think of is: if you are having your surgery out of state, please, please, please make sure you have local follow up BEFORE you go out of state/country for surgery.

unless you are absolutely prepared to pay the expenses and take the time necessary to get to an out of state doc you must have local care.

in the event of any band problems - slippage, port replacement, erosion - anything. you could find yourself in an emergency situation with no local care. that concerns me everytime i hear of people going away from their homes to have surgery.

just my 2 cents..

Hi Phatdaddy (love the name)

I JUST had mine on the 5th of July and my surgeon was out of state, although its just an hour away from home. Is there anyone in your area or that you may know of that has used this doc before?

I know nothing about BCBS. My ins. gave me NO problems with the approval, like Ive said before, you have to do alot of foot and phone work, but heck, its worth it!

And about the post surgery problems, everyone is different. For me, it was day 2-5 having moderate gas pains, and if you take a walk down the street, it will help. Oh, and the hunger :) . I woke up from surgery hungry as a bear. Like weve all talked about before, thats something the doc's fail to tell folks about is the hunger you MAY feel pre-fill.

Good luck and keep us posted with your progess!