Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

complete package?

Has anyones doctor given them a booklet or package of do's and do not's as far as what to eat or not? Suggestions on Protein Drinks etc? It seems to me that we are really relying on each other(which is a good thing) I'm still waiting on my surgical date, I'm in the 'gathering' stage, sometimes I don't think I know how to properly nagivate through this site. (but I'm working on it!!!

Hi!

My doc gave me a packet of papes with do's and don'ts and you will probably get one too. If you want more info, try the following books:

Lap-Band For Life, The Complete Patient Guide to Success with the Lap-Band by Ariel Ortiz Lagardere MD (I ordered this through yahoo.com)

and

Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding by Jessie Ahroni Ph.D,ARNP (this I ordered through Barnes and Noble)

and

Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray (also through yahoo.com)

Lots of info out there, but we are all individuals, so you need to do what works best for you.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a couple of pages from the nutritionist listing post op guidelines.

Now, I know all surgeons are a little different when it comes to post op instructions but here are my doc's:

3-5 Days post op:

liquids only: nothing thicker than thin paint...

broth, Jello,popsicles(sugar-free are best), veg. or fruit juice, skim or 1% milk, ice.

1-4 weeks post op:

Slowly add:

low fat yogurt(no chunks), Tomato Soup, low-fat cream soups(no chunks), pureed or very soft fruit(no skin), sugar-free Carnation instant Breakfast.

4-6 weeks Post-op:

low-fat creamy soups(with soft chunks), fish, chicken, canned meat(tuna, chicken-low-fat, packed in water).

breads, rice, pasta--as tolerated, slowly add tougher meats like pork and beef, fruit, veggies.

Common food problems:

dry meat, shrimp, untoasted or doughy bread, Pasta, rice, seed and skinns of fruits and veggies, dried fruit, fibrous veggies, nuts, coconut, popcorn, greasy or fried foods.

Some Protein drinks he recommends are Slim-fast low carb diet-190 cals, 9 gms fat, 4-6 gms carbs, 20 grms protein--Atkins Advantage--170 cals, 9 gms fat, 4-6 gms carbs, 20 gms protein--EAS advantEdge--100 cals, 3 gms fat, 2-3 gms carbs, 15 gms Protein. I know there are lots of other protein drinks and powders out there though--check the health food stores.

I hope this helps!

My doctor's office provided extensive education classes and materials so we would know exactly what to do to be successful. It does seem that some folks have been left to their own devices. The Lap-band manufacturer website has some information as well...

when i initially met with the nutritionist i got a few pages of dos and donts.

after my surgery i got a nice book that had been put together wth info on the stages and food and exercise. i have to admit tho that i cme here first for answers before flipping thru it.

Thank you for your responses they are quite helpful. I'll keep digging. I found 100 % whey Protein in Target is costs @$15 30 servings 120 calories 2 total fat 1 sugar 23 protein. I think this is good. Is this what I should be looking for?