Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this normal I'm six weeks until my op I think about food all day long, it's on the Tv ads Tv shows,bill boards, I'm eating healthy-ish 1500 calories a day using MFP I'm trying to imagine how I will be eating post op, it's like I'm in mourning for my old eating habits healthy gigantic portions help anyone .........

You are. Your head would LOVE to convince you to back away. All I can say is that while the TV and billboard ads continue, your head will get better. Keep it up!

Don't let it get the better of you. I made the mistake of several " one last time" meals and paid for it via gaining 8 more lbs in 2 months : (

8 more to worry about is not a good thing.

A lot of people have a food funeral..I know I did...I ate the food that I would never eat again and it seemed to help a lot..Most of the food that you enjoy now you won't want to eat them after the surgery anyway...The sleeve can change your tastes....It did for me....

You will become like so many and feel bad that you did not do this before.....I look at the fast food as poison now....I see people eat so much and know that I was one of them not so long ago....Now I never want to go back...

I feel so different and healthier and happier...I am so proud of myself because for the first time I am succeeding.....9 months out and 131.4 lbs. down...never lost that much in any diet before....There are so many positives that they really out weigh the struggles we have dealing with food issues!

I am feeling the same way with 11 days to go. I am not going overboard but I am enjoying a few "last" meals that I know I probably won't eat ever again. I have not gained any weight though. Good luck, it will be here before we know it!

This is completely normal, and you will probably feel really depressed about it in the first few weeks after your surgery as well - your hormones are all out-of-whack from surgery, and you see everyone else eating this stuff you want, and you are on pureed lentil soup.... However, HANG IN THERE! It gets MUCH better and you WILL turn this corner! I am almost 4 months out and life is pretty good - down 60 lbs!

Turn off the TV! Throw out the old magazines. You're becoming a new person with new habits. Those ads are for the other people! My family got rid of tv and went full netflix (for completely unrelated reasons) and I can say I noticed a change in our attitudes due to the missing advertisements. It's mind control - it would make me impulsively take the family to restaurants. (Of course Im weak to food suggestion, that's why Im here lol)

I did go through this but have to say I'm eating and drinking pretty normally after less than 3 months. It's portion size and low carb that are my biggest changes.

Like any weight loss plan there are some deprivations, but I honestly feel they are less with VSG than many others I've tried - but I was always a pretty healthy eater of large portions. The sleeve controls portions really well in these early days (and pretty well, long term, from vets comments here).

I wouldn't sweat it too much. The early weeks are kind of tough but your appetite will probably be near to non-existent, so you won't care as much as you currently think you will.

Good luck with it all.

I am in the approval process, w/o a date, and have heard a lot of people having these feelings.

I've been eating healthier...and attempting to ween myself off carbs so it's easier down the road.....I'm so afraid I'll be in mourning too when I do get a date LOL

Hi FranWa, I have been either very good or very bad! I almost can't wait to start the pre-op diet lol :-)

I know people are going to scream at me for this BUT;

I had no pre op diet and had 6 weeks between approval and surgery and let me tell you. I went to town. I gained 11 lbs.

I'm now exactly 1 week post op and was absolutely not prepared for how freaking hard that first week is. Tears and frustration over what I could eat and trying to get things down.

I absolutely do not regret a single bit of those 11 lbs I gained and enjoyed my last meals. Because my life is different now and I can actually look back and it keeps me grounded now of what my disaster potential is had I not chose this surgery.

I'm 1 week out and down 13! Starting week 2 and I'm able to have more food choices and the scale is dropping at a rate I never expected. I'm in no way telling you to do what I did, because at the end of the day - everyone's journey is different and to each is own.

All the best!

Is this normal I'm six weeks until my op I think about food all day long, it's on the Tv ads Tv shows,bill boards, I'm eating healthy-ish 1500 calories a day using MFP I'm trying to imagine how I will be eating post op, it's like I'm in mourning for my old eating habits healthy gigantic portions help anyone .........

I get it, I really do. And agree, to each his own in this regard. I know I really needed to get a handle on the control food was having. I was letting it comfort me, reward me. .. UGH. LOL The choices you make are yours and everyone deals with things differently. When I made the decision for surgery, I went into it knowing that I'll never eat the same way again. Not that I'll never eat again. I think the notion of "NEVER" is a tough one for anyone to grasp. In time , unless your new stomach doesn't like something you will be able to have just about anything, just much less and you need to make the best choices for you. If you think the idea never eating certain things is triggering your mourning, try to find a way to think in different terms just for your own piece of mind. 6 weeks is a long time. If you feel the same way after surgery it might make recovery much harder than it needs to be.

Best of luck to you!!