Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

should i switch to bypass?

Hi everyone, my appt is jan9th and while reading all the problems with the band that everyone seems to be having, i'm really thinking should i go with bypass instead? i said i'd never do that and that is why i loved the idea of the band but it seems like you have to be sooooo careful moreso with the band than the bypass, what do you think?

I think you should do whatever you feel is best for yourself. But I don't think you should base the decision on having to be careful. How do you define careful, anyway?

Hi everyone, my appt is jan9th and while reading all the problems with the band that everyone seems to be having, i'm really thinking should i go with bypass instead? i said i'd never do that and that is why i loved the idea of the band but it seems like you have to be sooooo careful moreso with the band than the bypass, what do you think?

Have you spent time on boards for bypass patients? It might be interesting to read what they are dealing with post-surgery.

I did that as part of my research and decided I would rather have the post-band life. But that was my choice, and not the right one for everyone.

Also, keep in mind those of us doing just fine don't often start threads saying so. It's when someone has a question or problem they post more.

Why don't you go over the one of the Gastri Bypass boards and look at all thier problems - I think any surgery, there is a risk of some complications. Some are just minor, some are major. I know that Gastric Bypass problems are far worse than lap band. Two of my friends had to go back into the hospital 1 year after surgery for another major surgery.

So, I don't think Gastric is a piece of cake. Also, My cousin just found out she is severly anemic (she had Gastric Bypass).

But, dont think I'm discouraging you. I just don't think that switich to another type of surgery because of "less" problems is the reason to switch. I personally wanted the gastric bypass in the beginning, mainly because of the quick weight loss. However, my DH was totally against it, then I had a friend who had major complications (she had her surgery in October, she is still in the hospital. She was in ICU for 60 days. Now having to go thru rehab. She still can't talk, she doesn't even know what happened to her or why she is in the hospital. very sad.

Anyhow, I agree with laurend, you need to do your own thorough research, weigh the risk, and decide which one is for you. I would support any decision. I'm no pro or con on the bypass, I just know it wasn't for me at this time. I also have friends who have had GREAT success with it and think its the best decision of their life.

Good-luck with whatever you chose.

You are getting great answers here and I agree with all of them.

The band sure isn't for everyone. Just like the other WLS aren't for all. It is a very personal choice.

Remember you will hear more negative than positive stuff. Some people only come here when they have a grip. I truly believe that the majority are very happy with the band. I sure am.

Good luck.

thank you guys for all of your input, I have read the bypass posts also, i'm worried because i eat so fast and don't chew my food well , i can just imagine the problems that may come and i don't want to slip the band. yes i chose the band due to the less danger in surgery that is true the dr.s say you lose weight slower with the band but some of you have lost up to 80lbs in the first year, i just hope it's me, i am a good dieter it's just been a lot of trouble keeping it off . well thanks again for the feedback! Donna

One of the major parts of success with the band, IMO, is behavior modification. I think that if you do have the band, you will learn very quickly that there are certain things you have to do, like chew very well and eat slowly. It will give you reinforcement in that department. Basically, I wouldn't worry too much about the problems that come from eating too fast and not chewing well. After the first few times you slime or PB, I think you will change your habits. To be honest, that is one of the major reasons that I decided to have the band over RNY. The band forces you to change your behavior, and I think a lot of us need that reinforcement.

i'm worried because i eat so fast and don't chew my food well , i can just imagine the problems that may come and i don't want to slip the band. yes i chose the band due to the less danger in surgery that is true the dr.s say you lose weight slower with the band but some of you have lost up to 80lbs in the first year, i just hope it's me, i am a good dieter it's just been a lot of trouble keeping it off . well thanks again for the feedback! Donna

I am somewhat like you, EVERY DIET I've been on, I have been successful. To the point that I get a lot of compliments. However, the success is always short-term. I'm hoping the lap band will help me KEEP the weight off.

I know you will be great. I've been practicing eating slow, and chewing and it is very hard. However, it can be cone and once we get the band, I think we will learn even quicker!

Just and FYI, my Gastric bypass friends have to eat slow and chew too or they get food stuck. So the eating on both surgeries is the same.

I wish you the best!

I agree with whatever everyone is telling you. I also struggled with eating too fast and not chewing well. Occasionally I will slip and get stuck but I promise you after it happens once you are more careful and learn from your mistakes. I have had excellent progress with my band and zero complications. Good luck with your research!

Thank-you for reminding me why i chose the band in the first place, I can lose the weight I just need this tool to help me KEEP IT OFF! It brought me back to the why the band works and not just for the fastest weight loss and way more serious surgery, I feel alot better, seeing the dr. on the 9th, will let you know what he says! Donna