Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry for myself???

I am very stressed today, and here is why…

I've been researching again and again and again on the band. First I was researching both the band and RNY, came to the conclusion the RNY was too drastic/scarey for me - didn't want to reroute my insides. I've been great with my decision on the band. I know the weight won't come off as fast as with RNY…but I could live with that. My parents and boyfriend have also been very supportive. They're terrified for me, but they support me. Just last night Mom said to me, "You know at the seminar those people were twice your size, you were the smallest one there. They are the people that need to have the surgery, not you". I thought I would die, as my chin hit the floor!!! I was so upset, it really left me speechless - which is very hard to do. I just said to her "If you don’t stop trying to talk me out of it - I'll tell Daddy". Yes, a Daddys Little Girl (sue me). She left me alone with that…but it sent me to bed in a tailspin; doubting myself again. After a few hours I was able to dismiss her comment.

So today on the drive in I thought of it, just shrugged it off as her way of showing me her concern, and I love her for that. I'm STILL going on with my Band on 1/30.

Then of all things this a.m. I came into an email from my best friend (who is not supportive at all…we don't even talk about my upcoming banding). Anyway, she sent me a pic of herself with a friend I used to have - before her RNY. (She got VERY condesending when she had the surgery…I did away with that friendship). Anyway, when I saw the pic of my friend - PENCIL thin just 18 months later. True, she's too thin…wearing a size 0. But when I saw it, all I could think was "She and I used to be the same size!" and "I want to be very thin for once in my life". Then came the doubts about the Band vs. RNY. So here I am all a.m. stressing about it, and just staring at her picture…each part of me feeling so incredibly jealous….you can't even imagine.

I don’t want to doubt my decision. I'm very happy with it. I'm not even feeling scared anymore - just anxious! Maybe I'm even just feeling sorry for myself. :rolleyes

What you are feeling is natural. People that love us are concerned and to face their own fears try to talk us out of it. Don't worry your support will be there when you need it.

Remember the reasons you chose lapband and don't look back. We all would like to have the surgery and be instantly thin. It won't happen. Lapband has a better long term success rate. You are learning a new way of life and the band is a tool. However, if you should need to, it can be removed. Your insides have not been rewired.

It's OK to feel nervous and second guess yourself. We've all been there. Good luck to you.

All I can offer is - don't compare yourself to others. I've lost more weight with my band than friends who had RNY. That doesn't mean RNY was the wrong choice for them. Go with what feels right to you and trust that you know what's best.

The RNY scares me. You will look great in 18 months. Maybe even sooner. It is hard not to compare yourself to others, but try not to. We are all different. And as was said earlier, remember the reasons you chose this surgery and forget about the other girl.

Sherilynn, you are not feeling sorry for yourself you just want to make sure the decision is the best for yourself. I have to be honest with you. The lapband is a slower process. If you follow the band rules you will lose weight. But,,,,,you have to look at it as normal weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week. You may lose more, or you may lose less. RNY is much quicker. I understand that you have to reroute everything and that is why it is far more invasive. You just have to come to terms with whether or not you can be patient with the band. If I had to do it all over again I would pick the band but would be more agressive on my fills. Right now I am down 35 lbs since June. I'm considered a slow loser at 1 lb a week. It may take me over a year to lose the rest of my weight 47 lbs to be exactly. Probably will take me more like 9-12 months. Some lapband patients take up to 2 years to lose all their weight. Please be aware of this. You may or may not have the patience to withstand the band. It is a tool, nothing more. You can still consume high density foods with the band. With RNY you can't have sugar or alcohol. It sounds like you are weighing towards the band which is a good thing. Don't let others discourage you. Its a personal journey. Best of luck.

Great post Julie

I agree, the band is just a tool and will help immensley if you're head is in the right place. Again, you have to remember why you chose the band in the first place. I personally like the fact that I am ultimately responsible for what I put in my mouth. I want to be healthy!

It might help to look at the before and after thread here. There are tons of people who look fantastic and have reached their goal weight.

I have to admit that before the surgery, the dr. couldn't stress enough how much the band is just a tool and now that I have it, I totally understand. I thought the weight would come of faster and steadier.

With that said, I still think I made the right decision. Time will tell.

We've all wondered if this is the right decision. I still have thoughts running around in my head about if this is gonna work for me or if I can be disciplined enough to follow the rules of LB.

I am still convincing myself that I can do this! My health and life is on the line. This will be the best thing I've done for my health and my family (next to not smoking any longer)

Hi Sherilynn

I am scheduled Feb. 13th for Lapband Surgery. Weight loss with RNY is faster but that is all that is better. From what I have read about RNY you have a window of opportunity of 12 to 18 mths to lose your weight then it stops and a lot of people start gaining again as their pouch stretches. Fast weigh loss leaves a lot of loose skin to deal with that will require plastic surgery. With the band you will lose slower witch allows the exercise you do to help with the saggy skin as you go. The band is adjustable for life so you have a tool to control weight loss or staying at desired weight. These are some of the advantages of the band besides the others menchened in the above posts. I am sure it is the best choice for me with all considered and hopefully you will go with what is right for you. Good luck with your surgery and don't second guess yourself after all the time you have spent doing your research.

Terry