Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Referral for Consultation

Well, today was my doctor appt. I asked my doc to send in the referral for a consultation with the doctor's in Edmonton. I was kind of surprised that my doc didn't know anything about the surgery and as a result I found myself educating her. She said she had one other patient recently asking about surgery but hadn't really checked into it. Oh well... at least she thought it sounded like a good idea for me as a tool to help control portions.

I expect the wait will be at least 1.5 yrs for a consult and possibly longer for surgery. I hope some money falls from heaven in the near future so I can go to Toronto to a private clinic. I haven't given up hope. I'm a true believer that if it is meant to be - it will be.

:(

Janice

hi there, I'm looking for those banded by dr cobern in missisauga??

I' have my first consult on the 24th, looking for any info I can get at this point....pretty sure I'm going to have the op I feel that I've tried everything else..

jo

:(

A year and a half wait??!! Every time I read a post from a Canadian it scares me to death that we now have people in charge of our US Congress (as of today) who are in favor of socialized medicine. I know there are advantages, but......

Anyhow...hope your Quest goes well....

JLB,

Also have your Dr. refer you to Dr. Mitchell in Calgary, the more lists you are on the better your odds. I was told about 1.5 years to consult and then up to 2 years for surgery.

Andrew

I think I'm missing something??

I had a consultation in 3 weeks, and booked my surgery that day for 8 weeks later.

I think I'm missing something??

I had a consultation in 3 weeks, and booked my surgery that day for 8 weeks later.

We are refering to people to people in Alberta who are having their surgery paid for by Alberta Health Care.

You are right, as a self payer, but due to the limited numbers of surgeries performed, and the long list of people wanting it here in Alberta people are having to wait a long time time to have it done in Alberta. The Calgary clinic is allowed to do 25 per year. I am sure that Dr. Coburn does that many or more in a month.

Andrew

Ohhhh, okay....see, I WAS missing something.

That is a dilemma. Fortunately, you'r government will pay, but then you have the wait. Damned if ya do, or don't.

Ohhhh, okay....see, I WAS missing something.

That is a dilemma. Fortunately, you'r government will pay, but then you have the wait. Damned if ya do, or don't.

It really sucks. My family Dr. said to me " have you ever considered WLS" and then started the consult. I was really positive and looking forward to it, only to find out that it could be up to 5 years before I actually have surgery. What a carrot on a string.

So I decided to pay for it myself. Yes it is alot of money, but what is my life worth.

Andrew

Ya know, I would have done the same. For me, once I made up my mind to do it, I needed it done yesterday.

However, I was thinking(very dangerous), it certainly gives you a glimpse into the 2-tier health care system, that the feds keep talking about. People who can come up with the money get their services first. Hmmmmmm.

Ya know, I would have done the same. For me, once I made up my mind to do it, I needed it done yesterday.

However, I was thinking(very dangerous), it certainly gives you a glimpse into the 2-tier health care system, that the feds keep talking about. People who can come up with the money get their services first. Hmmmmmm.

You are right. If people think that 2 tier heath care does not exist in Canada they are crazy. All you have to do is look at situations such as our own.

Do I have a problem with it, no. As long as self payers do not create additional wait times for insured patients I dont see a problem with it.

Andrew

I agree. 2-tier is very positive if you can come up with the money. However, I don't agree if it moves the less fortunate further down the list. It all has to do with doctors and if there are enough to work in both systems. Right now in Alberta we have a shortage of doctors so who knows if it would benfit everyone or not.

I hope to be in a position to qualify for a loan in the near future and will be off to TO like the rest of you.

By the way Andrew... your surgery date must be getting close. All the best and I can't wait to hear all about your banding experience. If I was to go out East I think I would probably choose Dr Cobourn as well. Don't know why, just a gut feeling. It seems that many more people in this forum talk about Dr. C than they do about Dr. Joffe/Yau.

Janice

Janice, I am being banded on Feb. 14, which means I will be staring preop diet Jan 24.

It is a tough decision, and $16K is alot of money, but for me and my family the timing is best right now. I will be paying for the surgery out of my HELOC. Really with prime being at 6% right now it is not too bad.

I have been very lucky the last couple of years, my wife & I are both professionals with good salaries & benefits, we have a small business that brings us in another source of income and we got into the housing market in Calgary before it went crazy. Our son is only 7mos old, so other than diapers & formula he is still pretty cheap to look after. After surgery we will be able to share food. In fact he eats more in a meal now than I will be eating per meal post op. :(

I see the surgery as not an expense but rather an investment in myself. Being thinner will help me in my carreer, and allow me to do more work on my business which in turn will generate more income. Like it or not, it has been proven that overweight people earn less in thier lifetimes.

Andrew