Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am proud of you "fasters"I think I have only had one fast day all month.:(

Had a fairly awesome NSV. might post on a public forum and just link back here.

Come on Sheryl tell us -we're dying to know.

I am not sure I articulated this very well.. but I had a meaningful encounter that reminded me of how much I have changed. I was really blown away actually because the entire interaction, my feelings about it, my openness to people... everything is just so different now.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/325492-how-others-see-you/

Here is what i wrote:

I am 3 years post op, lost 160# and maintaining... transformed in looks and other ways too.

I had something happen the other night that sort of blew me away. I decided to stop at a upscale "taphouse" to sample a fancy holiday brew. I have gone in there before with my sons, but it was just one of those impulse things.

So, i sit at the bar and the place was starting to clear out as the Seahawks game was over. I sat next to what I assumed was a "couple". The bartender started talking to me in a familiar way so I figured he thought i am younger than I am so I mentioned that I had been in a few times with my sons. that shut him down. :) I use that tack with anyone who looks under about 35.

Anyway, the woman in the "couple" next to me said "I cannot believe you are old enough to have two sons of drinking age". I told her I am 50. She went on to genuinely compliment me that she hopes she looks as good as i do at 50. Then she told me... it was more than looks - it was attitude, comfortable with my self, the way I dressed... my "style"

Then she went on to make sure I knew that the guy she was with was "just a friend". Ha. They invited me to go to dinner with them at a nearby Italian place. I did join them for a glass of wine, but not dinner.

Anyway, I have been reflecting on this because I felt her words were genuine, and I sort of saw myself for a few minutes through the eyes of someone who never saw me obese. Who never knew that even a year ago I would NEVER walk into a taphouse by myself much less sit at the bar. Who never knew that I used to buy clothes based on they at least sorta fit... to now having my own sense of style. My confidence in this new life as a trim person continues to grow.

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I have been MIA - it wouldn't be normal if I didn't start my post with an apology for not being around more ;)

I haven't had a decent 5:2 fast in a long time - the scale is up and I am afraid to get on it. Need to hit the reset button with all my behaviors with food! Heck I need to get serious - should just consume Water, meat and eggs.< /p>

Currently pissy with my GP - my old doc who referred me to WL office retired, and the guy who took her place is a bit of a tool. Found someone who looks awesome who is still affiliated with the hospital/provider network - i booked an appointment for her first opening - which isn't until early March.

My current doctor has been doing this runaround BS with one of my prescriptions (an anti-anxiety benzo) which I haven't refilled since July, and used specifically for PTSD (I freak out in the car if I am not driving - very bad accident a few years back that put me on the operating table and out of work for a year) - get this, my pharmacy faxed them 4 times, and I emailed him this morning and finally my husband called and found out that he wasn't going to refill it because I haven't been in recently - meanwhile all the others just get refilled an auto. Looks like I am going to have to deal with him at some point for my meds anyway - I am so infuriated I feel like going off all of it (though the omeprazole would be rough, I have terrible reflux).

This doc says he wants his patients off meds....well hell some of them I need. He also seemed pretty dismissive of WL surgery in general - no clue about what it is like for those of us who have had the surgery or have struggled with obesity our whole lives.

I am fine with adding new folks - might help invigorate the group :)

I am sorry to hear about family passings and struggles with illness. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kelly, I have a bit of advice. I too am struggling with huge appetite and some regain. Don't avoid the scale or fitted clothing. That is the beginning of very bad things.I knew I would weigh an outrageous amount thismorning but forced myself to do it. I am STILL under goal, but I feel like a moose. It really is such a mental game.

anyway - glad to hear your updates!

I love my PCP but she is in Bothell and I can't imagine that is convenient for you.

I am not in favor with asking  Queen of Crop She started writing  her blog again, and I just get the opinion that she would monopolize the threads

I am fine with Linda. She writes intelligent interesting posts.

I'm having trouble with my surgery. I felt warm so I took my temp and it was 102.. It turns out after spending 6 hours in the ER, that I an septic

I have a bacteria in my blood. I  had expected the be more back to normal now. I feel worse now than I  did the day I got out the hospital.

So I am voting no for Queen and yes  for  Lucerno

Please post yes or no. I will add them up, and message them. No matter how it comes out, I will send them a PM and tell them we voted them in.

I vote yes on both - but - don't think we should admit anyone unless the group is comfy with them. I also think we should be open to adding a couple of others if we see good candidates. The group has shrunk alot.

I am having a problem that worries me.

Last spring, I had that appetite loss and lost weight in an unhealthy/unplanned weight because i simply could not eat. Well, my tummy has been bugging me again, but I have actually gained weight. I went back and looked at my records, and I had gained a few pounds before that big "crash" that hit me in the spring.

So, I am eating too much carby stuff, not exercising due to an elbow injury and gaining weight. (Last spring, i had the overuse injury from the personal trainer that prevented intense exercise, so some similiarities) At the same time, my tummy is becoming delicate. I seem to eat more out of stress/carb cravings than actual hunger.

Last spring it was decided that I was lonely and depressed. Well, it was more anxiety than depression, but you know. I feel pretty okay emotionally,not longer on any meds etc - but maybe the holidays coming? Maybe it is physical? Maybe I am freaked out about the scale inching up and it is messing with my head? Maybe too much wine tasting has irritated my tummy?

So I am not lonely, but I have to admit a certain ... struggle I am going through. Been dating Kevin for about 2 months. We get on well, I like him, we are fairly compatible...but... he isn't "the one". I am okay with that - and just casually dating, but he is looking for a partner in life. He will end thing as soon as he comes to the same conclusion I have - which I am sure he will.

He is 59, I am 50 and I am deciding that the age difference does matter since he is an athletic guy starting to fall apart (age related) and I still want to do alot of things! There are a few other things, but mostly i just don't feel that "crazy about you" thing. Anyway, so I feel like I want to keep seeing him, but also sort of realize that it is a dead end path and I am a little afraid of getting emotionally hurt. I don't think alot about it, but, it has been bubbling up in the back of my mind.

I wonder if that is impacting me too. Oh, and I hate the holidays. Used to love em, hate em now

Anyway, I have restarted taking the DGL Licorice for my tummy. Trying to cut back on addictive carbs like bread, cut back on irritations like coffee and wine. Basically, get back on track. I admit, I would like to weigh 140 again, but I don't want to suffer to get there!

Edited by CowgirlJane

Sheryl, I think you should date a younger man. :-)

OD, I'm not willing to make any kind of argument over this, believe me. According to ANY kind of netiquette that might still be in place these days, this is YOUR thread cos you started it. I thus believe it's ultimately your decision who to add (or not) and I will definitely not be dying on this hill. ;-)

So I'm easy.

Ladies, you must be all very busy with your Thanksgiving dinners, we don't have that here in the UK. I think we all need to stop now and then and give thanks for what we have got, it is too easy sometimes to dwell on what we don't have or what we want. When my husband has had a bad day or he is feeling a bit down I always say "tell me something nice that happened to you today" - it might be a smile from someone or a thank you and when he thinks about it he finds something but it had been lost and covered over by the 'bad/stress/worry' things going on. So if life is bitch at the moment stop and look for the good - it is there.

I give thanks for my op - I might not be at the goal I want but I am certainly in a much better place, physically and mentally, than I was. I also give thanks for the love and support being shown to us at this sad time in our lives. We are being contacted by Ruby's peer group (all in their 80s) who are saying what a beautiful and loving person she was and the positive affect she had on their lives. Yes let's give Thanks.

I just noticed my post I made yesterday never showed up on here.

I hope that those of you in the states are having a nice Thanksgiving. We actually went out to dinner this year. We have only done this one other time about 6 years ago. So much going on around here I just didn't feel like cooking. Anyway, the food was delicious. I'm thankful for my sleeve! I could only eat a small amount. My sister also has the sleeve and the manager even let us pay the child's price for our meal.

My daughter is in town till Sunday and that always makes me happy. We are headed out to go shopping soon. It's a tradition we started a while ago. We just go out and have fun and shop all night.

Denise, so sorry to hear about your troubles with surgery. That is really scary. I hope you are getting stronger every day.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. A little late because I had so much work and meetings yesterday. Hope you're all doing well, and that you, Denise, are getting better now?

Love and hugs to all.

Happy Thanksgiving all! All I can say is I GIVE THANKS FOR MY SLEEVE! I did eat until stuffed, but it was not that much! And I am so looking forward to my "fast" day on monday! I went on a 8 mile bike ride in the morning... a regular event on Thanksgiving. Its called the "appetite enhancement ride" and people get dressed up, ride their hand made and vintage bikes, eat, drink(starting at 9 AM), dance, visit, smoke pot, hold prize drawings and then all hope on their bikes and ride around town, making lots of noise, waving at the stopped traffic (yes, we run red lights, ride the wrong way on streets), ride around the capital and other official buildings, then to the river where some drunk and hardy souls ride their bikes into the river! Fun was had by all again.

post-110343-0-83660400-1417187213_thumb.jpg

post-110343-0-66016900-1417187243_thumb.jpg

Edited by feedyoureye

Love your pix Kim! !

I had a nice Thanksgiving but feeling kinda low. I think i am just not adjusting to winter.

Those pictures are great, that looks like a lot of fun and you look fab, Kim. :-)

Hugs to you, Sheryl -- I've been feeling a bit blue for ages now, I hope to snap out of it again at some point.

Denise, how are you feeling now??