Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm told I will not be getting general anaesthesia ill be givin a sedative instead :( anyone else? What's it like? Lol I'm scared of being awake for this!

That's what I had and I didn't even remember it. I was just able to come out of it more quickly than with general.

I had a strong sedative and felt very well rested when I woke up. I commented that I could understand how Michael Jackson got addicted to the stuff.

So are you awake and just completly out of it or are you asleep?

I'm really not sure. Maybe something in between? I definitely didn't feel awake.

I'm really not sure. Maybe something in between? I definitely didn't feel awake.

Ditto!

I was awake but felt nothing.

The endoscopy is the step that I am dreading the most. Thank you for asking the question and everyone else for their feedback. Good luck I hope it goes smooth for you.

Im an Endoscopy RN. Most scopes are done with Propofol now. It is considered a sedative and not general anesthesia, but there is no doubt youll be asleep and unaware of anything. The anesthesis will push it in your IV, then count back from 5 by the time she get to 3 youll be OUT, well your's may not count down but youll be out in 2 seconds. Most EGD's take less than 5 minutes, and the great thing about propofol is that when you wake from it you really wake right up. Theres not much of a groggy period after awakening. Some endoscopy centers still use Versed/Demerol combo for sedation and if that is the case you will be a little loopy all day, not to worry though most don't use this combo. By the way if you are offered Versed to calm you down previous to your scope you will fill flighty for the day, I refused and so did my husband because the Propofol alone is effective in putting you to sleep.< /p>

When I had my endoscopy they gave me that drug that causes a complete memory blackout. Here's an article about the procedure and the sedation: http://www.mygiclinic.com/procedures/egd-upper-endoscopy

When I had my procedure, I had actually never met the doctor until I walked into the procedure room. He was GORGEOUS! The last thing I remembered before the endoscopy was the nurse taking my glasses saying she would give them back to me when they were done. The next thing I knew was she was handing them back.

The cute doctor came in and gave me the results. Plus he said I had done really well during the procedure -- and that I talked through the whole thing. OMG -- what did I say??!!?? I probably said things like, "you're so gorgeous, would you like to come home with me?" It was mortified. I was pretty funny.

I had the sedative and was completely asleep and was fine the rest of the day. Even went out to Breakfast after.

So they can tell you the results or atleast some after you're done? Thanks for the feed back!

Also were you allowed to have someone in there with you or did they have to be in the waiting room?

I don't recall what they gave me, but definitely NOT general anesthesia......they called it twilight........I was talking to the doctor, and it was clear they were waiting on me....I closed my eyes, and the next think I knew I was in the recovery room LOL The best part of it (well besides not being aware of things).....was waking up refreshed, not groggy.....I've had outpatient surgery/procedures, and I've always asked for the twilight......I seem to surprise them, but I'd prefer that over general anesthesia any day....good luck....you'll do fine.

Yup, I knew right away I had a hernia that needs attention......the H.Pylori test will take a few days.......my husband went with me until they wheeled me out......then he went home for a couple of hours, and they called him, and he was there when I woke up.....