Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it also weird to second guess having the surgery done in Mexico just in case something went wrong!?

In some ways that is more scary. But think of this: surgeons in Mexico have more experience than most US doctors. The risk of complications goes down dramatically after each performed sleeve. I had a hard time finding a US surgeon with as much experience as my chosen Mexico doctor (dr Cirangle does, but he won't do leak tests which makes me uncomfortable).

I am sure you did your research and found a doctor you are comfortable with. Accept the fear as a normal part of this process, and not as a 'sign' that you should change your mind. I have to do the same myself. :)

I think that statistic is way off. It is closer to 1 in 400 for death (which can be lower for an excellent surgeon or higher for a crummy one) and 20% for all complications combined (including skin rash). It is very similar to gallbladder surgery.

A scoring system recently developed by a Duke University bariatric surgeon appears to accurately predict which patients considering bariatric surgery are most likely to die from the procedure. The system adds up the following five risk factors; patients with four of them are six times as likely to die as those with only one:

[*]Body mass index. Patients with a BMI of 50 or more are at greatest risk.

[*]Gender. Men are more likely than women to suffer from conditions such as hypertension' date=' diabetes, and metabolic disorders that can increase surgical risks.

[*']Age. Older patients, particularly the elderly, are known to be at higher risk for death after bariatric surgery.

[*]Hypertension. Patients suffering from high blood pressure typically have heart disease or chronic inflammation of blood vessels that can add to the risks of surgery.

[*]Pulmonary embolus risk. People who have had a blood clot in the lungs, or who are at increased risk for developing such a clot, are at elevated risk

You can greatly reduce your risk by choosing a surgeon who has done at LEAST 300 gastric sleeves (not just any surgery, but the sleeve in particular. A lot of surgeons quote their total surgery experience, which is useless. It is all about his experience with the sleeve!), and who has a close to zero percent leak rate.

And just because a surgeon is part of a bariatric center of excellence does not mean he is experienced or even a great surgeon. My local surgeon at a center of excellence has only done 35 sleeves. I chose not to go with him.

I think the OP's choice of surgeon qualifies as one who is experienced. :)

And to respond to the OP's question: I am scared too. Very much so. I guess it is normal to be afraid, but knowing that does not alleviate the fear. I am right there with you, fighting through that fear. Right now I keep telling myself that if I don't do it now, I will probably come back to it in a few years. At that time I will be older, heavier, and probably have more co-morbidities. The safest time for me to do it is now.

I'm having a lot of anxiety tonight over this and reading your post has helped ease my mind somewhat :) lol thank you!

I'm nervous too, my surgery Wednesday.