Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm currently on medicine for a very under active thyroid and wondering how that will affect my weight loss after surgery.

I'm currently on medicine for a very under active thyroid and wondering how that will affect my weight loss after surgery.

Hi. I had Graves Disease & now I'm hypo, so I shared your concern. You will def lose weight. I'm about a month out & so far have lost about 24 lbs. I think that's pretty good! My hypo dose of med is 225 mg and I have to crush my pills before I take them & that's not as bad as I thought it would be. Talk to your dr about your concerns. It really might make you feel better. Anyway, good luck & see you on the "losers bench"! :)

I've been on .025mg of Synthroid for about 12 yrs now. Not sure what affect it had on my loss cuz there's nothing to compare it to! I was told by my surgeon that I would probly have to lower my dose as I lost weight, but that never happened. My thyroid tests have all be perfect.

Good luck!

Thank you both for sharing your experiences with me. I have it on my list of questions to ask my surgeon.

I have hypo thyroid and i am 2 months out. I have lost 45 pounds so far. My doc is a debbie downer as he thinks that is slow, but ai m half way to goal so I am concidering it a win :)

I have hypo thyroid and i am 2 months out. I have lost 45 pounds so far. My doc is a debbie downer as he thinks that is slow' date=' but ai m half way to goal so I am concidering it a win :)[/quote']

That is an awesome loss!!!

I am hypothyroid... I still have to have my thyroid monitored often... Ever 2-3 months... Recently I was noticing a slow down in my weight loss... Which is completely normal after 6 months out, however I was also noticing all of my other hypothyroid symptoms again... I got my TSH checked and my levels were high... My endo increased my synthroid dose and not only am I starting to feel awesome again, my weight loss has picked up again! Just keep getting your levels monitored and if your endo or pcp is not completely on board with your wls find one that is and will support you! Both my endo and PCP are extremely supportive and if I am feeling crappy and I know I need an increase in my Synthroid dose, my endo immediately sends me for bloodwork and we get my dose increased ASAP. I have never been wrong so far about needing an increase in my dose of meds... I start to feel crappy and I know I need my TSH checked and it has always come back as elevated... My biggest piece of advice to you is to listen to your body and make sure your drs listen to you!

I am hypothyroid... I still have to have my thyroid monitored often... Ever 2-3 months... Recently I was noticing a slow down in my weight loss... Which is completely normal after 6 months out' date=' however I was also noticing all of my other hypothyroid symptoms again... I got my TSH checked and my levels were high... My endo increased my synthroid dose and not only am I starting to feel awesome again, my weight loss has picked up again! Just keep getting your levels monitored and if your endo or pcp is not completely on board with your wls find one that is and will support you! Both my endo and PCP are extremely supportive and if I am feeling crappy and I know I need an increase in my Synthroid dose, my endo immediately sends me for bloodwork and we get my dose increased ASAP. I have never been wrong so far about needing an increase in my dose of meds... I start to feel crappy and I know I need my TSH checked and it has always come back as elevated... My biggest piece of advice to you is to listen to your body and make sure your drs listen to you![/quote']

Thank you for awesome advice! My PCP and myself have been working for the past year now to get my thyroid at the right level and have yet to get there. I have been going every 3 months to have my levels checked and will continue in doing so. Being obese, having my thyroid out of whack, anemic, and very low Iron levels have left me feeling like poo all day long. I'm praying that my surgery and getting the anemia and thyroid working right will change things. I'm ready for a new me!! ????????????

Thank you for awesome advice! My PCP and myself have been working for the past year now to get my thyroid at the right level and have yet to get there. I have been going every 3 months to have my levels checked and will continue in doing so. Being obese, having my thyroid out of whack, anemic, and very low Iron levels have left me feeling like poo all day long. I'm praying that my surgery and getting the anemia and thyroid working right will change things. I'm ready for a new me!!

Dealing with an underactive thyroid is not fun at all... I feel like people with normal functioning thyroids just don't get it... At first my husband couldn't understand why I was feeling so run down and kept telling me to just get more sleep at night... He didn't get that no matter how much sleep I got it just didn't help... Then once he saw the difference in me after I started and got on the right dose of meds it clicked for him... Now when I start to complain about being run down the first thing he asks is "Do you think you need your TSH checked?" You will feel so different after surgery... This has seriously been life changing for me on so many levels... When is your surgery? If you have any more questions feel free to message me! Best of luck to you!!!

Dealing with an underactive thyroid is not fun at all... I feel like people with normal functioning thyroids just don't get it... At first my husband couldn't understand why I was feeling so run down and kept telling me to just get more sleep at night... He didn't get that no matter how much sleep I got it just didn't help... Then once he saw the difference in me after I started and got on the right dose of meds it clicked for him... Now when I start to complain about being run down the first thing he asks is "Do you think you need your TSH checked?" You will feel so different after surgery... This has seriously been life changing for me on so many levels... When is your surgery? If you have any more questions feel free to message me! Best of luck to you!!!

Finally someone who has been down the same road I'm traveling. I am blessed with a husband who is very caring. but still he hasn't walked in my shoes.

I do not have a surgery date as of yet. I'm still jumping through all the hoops that insurance requires. I'm praying it will be early Fall when I have it.

Would you mind sharing your personal journey with me? Having inspirations would be awesome!