Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questioning If I Can Do This

I'm one week into my 3 month physician monitored diet and doing terrible. Not on a specific diet but just cutting back and avoiding certain foods.

I'd had success doing Atkins (up and down 40 pounds several times). Lost 120 pounds long ago using an ephedra based product.

What happens if I don't lose during this 3 month diet (or even gain)?

I felt the same way. I have one and a half months left for MD supervised diet. I lost three pounds the first weigh in, stayed the same the next weigh in and then gained three pounds the last one. I am hoping that I have lost at least three pounds in the next two weeks. I hope to have my surgery in Sept. You can do this.

Depends on your insurance, really - we can't answer that. I'd offer, though, that if you're having problems now, you're going to have problems with the sleeve. Are you seeing a therapist? Sounds like you could use some counseling regarding your food addiction...just my helpful hint!

I lost nothing before the preop diet. I am down 76 lbs now. I am 66 yrs old and have not exercised yet. It is so different after surgery. You are rarely hungry. You can do this if I am doing it.

I couldn't lose weight pre op...on and off diets the whole time I was going thru appointments.....at the last crunch I dropped 10 lbs. Now I am down 103 lbs from my highest weight. This surgery changed the game for me

You can do it!!!!

You need to find out what your insurance and doctor require. I had to do a 6 month supervised "diet", but did not actually have to lose a pound. Luckily, because I actually gained. It was just a hoop to jump through. Some doctors/insurances are different and actually require a certain percent loss. Either way, you can do it. I'm starting pre-op diet today and I'm determined to stick with it. Good luck.

As has been said by other posters, the majority of the programs don't really require you to lose any weight on the preop diet, it is more designed to help you build new habits and to give you time to be sure you are ready to have the surgery. Good Luck.

Depends on your insurance' date=' really - we can't answer that. I'd offer, though, that if you're having problems now, you're going to have problems with the sleeve. Are you seeing a therapist? Sounds like you could use some counseling regarding your food addiction...just my helpful hint![/quote']

Do u suggest a detox before surgery

You totally expressed how I feel. I am supposed to be on a Pre-Op diet till Sept/October..still haven't finalized the date yet..but I keep on having a food funeral... I say "hey I am going to start today" and then I fail and have to start all over again. I feel so hungry on the Pre-Op diet! Arghh!

My insurance didn't require a loss. I had to have 6 months of weigh ins, and I think I gained 5lbs in that time. I have a horrible binge eating problem. But now, I'm 4 days post op and already 22lbs down (8lbs from pre op diet)!!! You CAN do this!

I lost 2 pounds each month during the pre-approval phase....they didn't put me on a diet at all...it's now in the hands of the insurance....the 3 months all we did was make small changes and talk about pre and post surgery diet. Good luck

This is a catch 22. I know that with Kaiser they insisted on losing 10% of your weight. I did not lose 10% of my weight and I still got a referral to my wl surgeon. however, I did lose enough weight where the surgeon's office was questioning and was going to deny my surgeon because I was under the BMI. If it wasn't for my comorbidity of DB, I wouldn't have been sleeved. Another person went through the program too and she didn't lose her weight either. Both of us had surgery. :P

An old ww quote I still follow. I can't lose 10# but I know I can lose 1# ten times.

Start small. Take it hour by hour. I know I do.

Also i pay myself not to eat things.

allons-y

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone!

While I've not lost any weight in my first week of the NUT diet, I have followed her recommendations. I've cut way back on all red meat and cheese, increased fruit/vegetables, and stopped eating nuts and Pork rinds daily - leftover from Atkins :)

So it hasn't been a total waste of time. I fully realize that I need to drastically reduce my portion sizes ....