Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smaller people than me were getting sleeved!

Hi everyone! My name is Pam, I'm from the Dallas area, and I was sleeved on 6/25/2013. My husband was sleeved on 5/6/13.

It all started in August of last year. Two of my co-workers had VSG done during the same week (unbeknownst to the other!). Both of them weighed significantly less than me. Call it my wake up call. I had to finally accept the fact that I am morbidly obese at a BMI of 45.

I went home that evening and told my husband I was interested in this "new" weight-loss surgery. I had never been interested in the bypass because I couldn't stand the thought of dumping syndrome. The sleeve surgery sounded perfect. To my surprise, he not only approved of my interest, but said he was interested too!

We went to a seminar held by Dr. Nick Nicholson. That evening, we made our decision. My husband even told me he wanted to go first. He said because he had more to lose. I think he didn't want to chicken out after he saw me go through it!

Since his surgery, he has lost 84 pounds, including pre-op diet. I have lost 44.8 pounds, including pre-op. I started my pre-op diet when he started his, so I lost quite a bit more than I would have otherwise.

Reasons for wanting to lose weight (besides the obvious): We have 3 children: two teenage daughters and a 7 year old daughter. We have hardly any energy to do fun things with them, especially the youngest, who has ADHD. Going out to see fireworks last night was a big family outing for us!

I am so excited and happy. I know this time I will succeed and get to my goal of at least 150 pounds. I want to have energy to give my children quality time. I am also grateful to have found this forum. I also attend a support group at work. I am a nurse who works for a health insurance company. We have a LOT of nurses who have had this surgery, especially since our insurance covers it. It is great to meet twice a month and compare notes.

Congrats on your new life!

You guys sound like us!! My sleeve date is August 7 th and I'm sure my husbands will be end of August. i started my process before him. I was so afraid he wasn't going to be supportive and he was!!! I am do excited to take this journey with my BFF. Good luck to you too!

That is awesome!! I also had a good wake up call about my morbid obesity. I never thought of myself "that big". My husband has never ever mentioned to me that I am big, god bless him. Well I calculated my BMI as I started this journey and surprisingly I was a 50!!! I have managed to lose about 7 lbs and brought it down to a 49, almost 48. But, talk about wake up call!! Im morbidly obese class III. That is when I KNEW I had to do something about it. COngrats on your decision and your new life!!!