Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hmmm, how to put this??? Oh never mind. My response: "Screw 'em"

This is why I am not linking my fakebook (I hate facebook) to this account to keep my anonymity and will be posting little personal info. Some folks are so judgmental.

I made the mistake of announcing on Facebook that I was having this procedure, Lesson learned! Never again! I am "crazy" and Ive been lectured for weeks now about how I should "try Weight Watchers" or here's the best...wait for it...."just stop eating" hahahahhahahahahah I cant! what did you guys say when people tell you negative things about the sleeve procedure or weight loss surgery in general? my favorite thus far has been, "you don't have the will power, your going to over eat & be very sick the rest of your life"...nice right? thankfully my family is on board but friends & coworkers are brutal! ugh!

A friend of mine of over 15 years is acting shady to me now too. She is against the surgery and is too scared to go through it herself. She's obese too and is afraid that she will be left all alone in the fight. Sorry but I have to do me.

This is dedicated to all of them:

I was shocked that one of my friends who I thought would be the most supportive just went off on me about this was the complete wrong decision and I must be crazy, so don't feel bad not just your friends. I now take it all in stride. I made this decision for me no one else, and if they really get bitchy (like my friend) I point out that the risks of the surgery are alot smaller than me remaining the size I am. I also point out that I'm not stupid, I didn't just wake up one more drive to the hospital and tell them to cut me open..lol...I researched and spent alot of time soul searching and then of course the 3 months of insurance requirements. I think people assume they know about these surgeries when in fact they don't. Just follow your path! Don't let them get you down, and if all else fails, just tell me to shut the h*ll up! :P

I went to my nephew's Norwex party on Friday. I was talking about my surgery to my sister and some of the guests were coming in. One lady heard me and asked me about the surgery...she turned to her friend and said "This is a sign" as she and her friend were discussing she may want to have the surgery...she was extremely supportive and asked if I could let her know step-by-step my journey. So, you just never know who's out there that may need your help!

I made the mistake of announcing on Facebook that I was having this procedure, Lesson learned! Never again! I am "crazy" and Ive been lectured for weeks now about how I should "try Weight Watchers" or here's the best...wait for it...."just stop eating" hahahahhahahahahah I cant! what did you guys say when people tell you negative things about the sleeve procedure or weight loss surgery in general? my favorite thus far has been, "you don't have the will power, your going to over eat & be very sick the rest of your life"...nice right? thankfully my family is on board but friends & coworkers are brutal! ugh!

Shame on them. I can understand having concern and that bringing about some questions, but some people should get off their high horses. I have been very fortunate to not have any negative feedback. I also haven't shared it with the masses, for just that reason. I researched and planned for a long time before making my decision. Anyone that knows me, knows that is how I go about big decisions. I had my answer all ready for the nay-sayers if they came..... "Negativity helps no one. And you have never walked in my shoes. I appreciate your concern, but I don't think you have better or more information about this procedure than I do. I'd be glad to share what I know to educate you." I was very pleased with myself, until I never got a chance to use it.

Don't let anyone get you down.

I'm still pre-op and have only told 1 friend and 1 family member so far. My friend, who is overweight and has severe diabetes, continues to try talking me out of it.

I've stopped bringing it up and he may think he talked me out of it. Not sure if ill ever bring it up again or admit to it later.... I'll just tell him I took his advice with dieting and exercise and it worked!

When I told my sorority group, I made it very clear that I was NOT asking for opinions unless they were supportive. I made it very clear that I did not want to hear any horror stories and if they had anything negative to say, they were welcome to do it behind my back. I let them know that I was NOT looking for their permission, but I their support if they chose to give it.

This group of ladies have been by besties for 20+ years but some of them are naturally skinny and have been vocal about WLS in the past, so I was nervous about telling them at all. I waited until about a week before surgery and I asked that my news be kept within our group.

I was amazed and tickled at how positive everyone was (at least to me directly). I've not heard a single negative word, thankfully. That said, I did not nor will I announce it in general because I don't want the response you got and I am so sorry it happened to you.

Keep your chin up and keep on moving towards your surgery with your head held high. This is NOT the easy way, the chance of you living life in misery forever and ever is slim to none and what you are doing is for the best, health wise. You are making a long term commitment to yourself and really, that's all that matters in the long run, right?

Not a lot of people have a clue what this surgery is. All they hear about is the gastric bypass....and all of the negative things about it. I would just educate them on the procedure that you are having...tell them that it is the right choice for you and that you would appreciate it if they didn't have a positive thing to say, then to keep their comments to themselves. This is why I didn't choose to tell anyone. Even my nurse in the hospital after I had the sleeve told me...I don't know why you had to have this surgery, you aren't that big to begin with.....I just laughed it off! Good luck! :)

Had a very similar experience. Someone I believed to be supportive told me I hadn't convinced her of the necessity of this procedure. I was being lazy and had not tried seriously. Who is she anyway my insurance company who must approve or deny? People love to have opinions. A new (recent breakup) ex of mine said yesterday he can't be with me because he opposes the fact that I'm doing this. Funny how he wants me to continue to be unhealthy alongside him. Inform yourself. In your heart you know what's right for you. I'm (im)patiently waiting for my surgery. Another 3 months before I submit everything. I'm happy I've chosen me for once and am ready to have a new life instead of hiding in my fat.

I was lurking on a body building forum and many say they have no respect for anyone getting the surgery and thinks they are MENTALLY ILL

:o

I think that most people who find out and have such negative comments, know absolutely nothing about the vertical gastric sleeve procedure. They are ignorant and have not done the research like we have. They have no clue what they are talking about. Ignore them. :-)

So sorry to hear your situation. Same thing happened to me yesterday. I'm a supervisor at my job and wanted to get some information about an FMLA form. That's a form i would need to fill out to take 2 weeks off for the procedure. I asked her is there anything else i can put because i didnt want anyone else to know. (i dont feel it's anyone business). She said why would you do that, you should do it natural. Why would put that in your mind. I said i didnt ask your opinion. I just walked out her office. People really feel it's there responsibility to tell what to do.

I'm sorry you had to go through that. I didn't tell many people but once I was already at goal I confided in someone that I'd had surgery. She is overweight and gave me that whole "I'm going to start a new diet and I know that will work, I'd never do what you did, it's too drastic, blah blah blah" thing.

Well, two years later she's back over 250 pounds again (she only ever lost 80 pounds and promptly regained them) and she lives in a constant cycle of crazy strict dieting followed by massive binges. She's miserable and unhappy and won't even talk to me anymore.

Oh well. You don't need those people in your life, I promise. Even though it stinks to be treated that way just let it roll off your back. In a year, they'll all be congratulating you on your success.

~Cheri

I'm terrified to tell anyone other than family. I am a teacher at a very small school. News travels FAST in small towns. I believe my surgery will be the first of August right before school starts. I do not want to be judged. I've been judged my whole life about my size.