Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if you get the Flu??

Ok so I got the flu this weekend and it was so weird. I heaved and heaved but no vomit could get up through my band and out of me. I was really scared because will it cause a slip? Has anyone else experienced this? Scared the heck outa me.

That is such a HUGE fear of mine, as I don't just upchuck...I violently vomit! I know there are meds to take to ease nausea...but if you're truly sick with something...I'm not sure if it's good to hold in the vomit?

I got a case of it less than a week after I got banded, I took the anti nausea medication - what happened was whilst the rest of the family was heaving everywhere, I got the sweats and chills, the fevers, felt crap, felt nauseous but had no vomiting or diarrhoea. It passed in a normal time frame.

I think its a bit different if you get food poisoning and your body really needs to evacuate the offending food.< /p>

But yes, I believe violent vomiting can cause slippage - its best avoided by far. But it doesnt always cause slippage, so chances are you're fine. Hope you feel a lot better though.

I now have phenegren on hand. Both pills and suppositories. Figure, one way or the other it should help.

I caught the nastiest bug a few weeks ago and threw up multiple times (and I was overfilled), but when the checked my pouch/band last week, it was fine.

I had a really bad episode a couple weeks ago (food poisoning/flu??). Violent vomiting for 6 hours. It definitely made me have less restriction. My doctor got me in right away to do a flouroscopy because he was concerned about slippage. No slip but I guess all the movement made the band adjust alittle bit and made me need a small fill. I'm very happy that I went to get it checked. They also recommended staying on liquids for a few days to give my stomach time to recuperate from the vomiting.

I had an unfortunate experience with vomitting. The day after being banded i got a stomach virus. After trying two different anti-nausea meds the doctor told me to get to the ER. They admitted me and I stayed for two nights. Not a fun experience but thankfully no damage done to the band. So i guess worst case sceniro if you get a stomach bug you may have to make a trip to the hospital. But the doctor did tell me they were being extra careful since i was 1 day post op.

I have been sick twice since banding. The thing is I can't vomit either. Nothing will come up from the band. So I have experience that part. Not fun.

Me and my 2 year old were in bed with the stomach bug on Christmas. Oh man was it horrible. I could not bring anything up either. But my 2 year old had no problem. I started eating normal the day after and does not feel like anything with my band has changed. This was my 2nd bug since banding. No fun at all.

Everyone's posts are so helpful...thanks! We have a virus going around and I have been totally stressing about getting it with the "band"...but it sounds like you should just call your doc and get some anti-nausea meds and stay on liquids for a few days. Not a whole lot of fun, but manageable...:phanvan